Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

right handers

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sillygit, Oct 7, 2007.

1. I had my first spill today. I was out practicing my cornering and after coming out of a nice clean left hander I stuffed up the entry to the following right hander.

I think I was to close to the side of the road and instead of leaning into the next corner, I straighted up. This was all going swingingly until I hit a pot hole or something and high-sided. Luckily I managed to slow right down before I came off (I'm a pretty slow rider anyway) and as far as I can tell the only damage to me and the bike is a sore ass and a bent gear lever (not a single scratch :shock:).

I'm doing an advanced riding course in a few weeks so I'll see if they can give me some pointers...

Things I'll do differently next time;
    * go even slower so I don't f*ck up the entry :)
    * try even harder to give my body the lean instruction before my instinct to straighten up kicks in

Thanks to do the guys who stopped and helped my pick my bike up.
  2. Ouch, sorry about the bad news. Glad you're ok.

On the bright side, you've had you're nooby crash, you can skip to pro now :)

With practice you'll learn to just go with it when it seems you're coming in too hot, instead of freaking out and crashing.
  3. Right handers feel worse than left handers because of the camber of the road working against you. Always go in slow and come out fast. I used to always try and get into a corner as fast as I could until I was really frightening myself silly then I came off just like you. Now I go in a little slower and get the satisfaction of being able to accelerate out of a corner being in control rather than going in to hot and getting out of control.

It sucks you came off but seriously, to get out of it with just a bent gear lever is pretty good as it could have been a lot worse.
  4. You'll soon forget all your bad habits with some training.
    I much prefer right handers.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Glad to hear you came out of it unscaved :grin:
    No tips from me, I'm a noob who's concerning sucks, so yep .. what the guys said +1

6. This is a common panic reaction. Whenever you find yourself too hot for a corner the best thing to do is never give up. Keep the throttle steady, push the bars and countersteer the bike harder into the corner. It might frighten the hell out of you but 99% of the time it will work (straighten up and brake works maybe 0.00002% of the time). Your bike can corner not only better than you, but better than you think it can. Put your faith in the bike and push the bars. :)

Sorry to hear about the stack. :( I hope your not too bruised up and very pleased to see you've learned something. I hope my advice helps convince you that your suspicion of cause was correct. :) Keep up the good work. :)
  7. Thanks for the comments guys.

It's frustrating that the left handers feel so smooth and natural when the righters feel so weird. I've often found myself looking out for oncoming 4wd (who like more than their fair share of the road) instead of pointing my chin where I want to go.

A mate I go riding with occasionally, pointed out that I often under-steer on right handers (which I assume happens when I apply the rear break). He's going to give me some stuff to practice in a big car park.

Also, really looking forward to my day at Broadford. It will be good to practice without the oncoming traffic :)
  8. I have a theory that comfort in corners is determined by which "foot" you are:

When you kick a ball, which foot do you kick with and, therefore, which foot do you balance on? Those who kick with their right foot are more comfortable in left-hand corners because they're applying pressure to the left peg with their "natural" balancing foot. The opposite works for those who kick with their left foot.

Just my theory.
  9. I agree with this, but I'm so backwards in regards to it, when i'm ice skating/rollerblading, I can turn so easily to the right, same as on bike. It's left that feels wonky for me, but i'm a right foot kicker/right handed.. but almost everyone else i've asked is completely opposite, exactly how you described it.
  10. Ive only been riding a little while, and Im finding I do this alot.
    Im still go quite slow around corners, but I find that Im very concerned about cars coming in the opposite direction, veering into my lane (to make their own corner easier I suppose). It may be overly paranoid, my corners are not smooth at all due to this. Im worried that once im in the swing of a corner, I won't be able to react and redirect my course if there is an oncoming vehicle.

I guess its just a time and experience thing.