Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Right gear slection ,ideal revs

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mdart, Jul 20, 2006.

1. I am interested on getting some opinions on the right gear slection at certan speeds and what sorts of revs I should be sitting on.
    At the moment I sit on about 5000 revs in each gear.

2. As long as the bike isnt labouring all the time, than it will be alright, bike engines can rev out much more than a car one obviously, so you can sit at 5k all day with no dramas.
  3. Yep, i try and sit on about 5000 when i'm in speedzones. it seems to be just about right for not exceding the speed limit too often unless i twist it.
  4. I forgot to mention I ride A Kawasaki ZZR-600
  5. Gear Selection and Revs

Well, I am not sure how long you have been riding but you will reach a point when you know your bike so well, you will change gear without feeling the weight transition go forward then back when you throttle back on.......to put it simply......smooth (mind you, I am riding a Honda ha ha ha)

Just kidding!

Not only that but with the right exhaust, you can hear when your engine sounds laboured or feel the torque is not right for the gear so change down and dial up the power!

Hope that helps!
  6. You can tell when the bike is struggling 'cos the engine will feel jerky and start to shudder. If it's not doing that, then it's fine.
  7. Depends on the bike, I think if you reach the jerking, shuddering, spluttering stage you've already gone a bit passed the point of where the engine has begun to labour.
  8. I am also thinking of fuel economy, I think the bike sounds good at the 5000revs but I dont mind giving it a bit of stick and having some fun.
  9. kinda pointless question. The 'ideal revs' to be at is whatever suits the moment. Low as possible to cruise, peak power to zoom etc.....