Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Right angled tyre valve adaptor ?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Jem, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hi,

Looking at getting one of these as the valves on the ER are an absolute pain to get to especially the front when checking and topping up air pressure.

My ebay skills suck and the only ones I have been able to find such as this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCL...VE-ADAPTOR-CHROME-/190461414635#ht_500wt_1180

Do not ship to Australia.

Anyone bought one locally or know of a site that ships to Australia?

Thanks, Jeremy

2. Why don't you just do what I did and next time you replace the tyre have them fit a right angled valve.

Before that I'd bought an adapter from my tyre bloke for les than $10.00.
  3. I think I bought mine locally - possibly AMX? Not sure now, but I know it was from a local bike shop.

Haven't had to change tyres yet, but I will be fitting RA valves when I do.
  4. bikemart has screw on ones.. i wouldnt leave them on though.. id go through the hassle of putting them on and taking them off when using them.. but i dont seem to have too much of a problem checking and filling the tyres on mine.. :S wouldnt think they were THAT different. sure.. there is an art to it.. but once you work it out its pretty easy..
  5. I don't leave mine on, but it's handy at those fill pumps that have the wand type fittings. I can't get those connected to the straight valves on the Z; the angle is wrong and the rim and discs get in the way. The push on valve fittings are OK, but it's a PITA trying to find an outlet with those.

So a handy little gadget to have if you happen to have trouble filling your tyres at the servo. Of course, the best option for me is to use my footpump at home, but sometimes when I'm running late I kid myself that it'd be quicker to do it at the servo seeing I have to stop there anyway.... d'oh! Of course, it'd be even handier if I remembered to bring it...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. available from good bike stores
  7. Thanks all.

Will be putting right angle valves on when I change the tyres was mainly looking for a quick fix till then.......

Anyone got an online store I can order from? I do not have enough spare time to get to a store in person.. An Australian store is first preference!

Cheers Jeremy
  8. I hope you are aware that they come in two different sizes (main sizes) 10.5 mm and 11.5mm or you could just get the rubber pull in.......choose carefully :)

9. Thanks as a noob I did not know that!

I will be coming to you when I figure out how to tell when I need new tyres so hopefully we can work it out then?

Currently got 7,xxx on the OEM set and no where near the low tread marks, that sad the bike is used 95%+ as a way to and from work.

At the last Sat practice it was mentioned that my rear was a bit squared off but in all honesty I do not know enough about tyres and when to change them.

Advice more than welcome.

Cheers Jeremy
  10. I like your thinking :)
    Re Tyres.....Some signs to look for:- Cracking on sidewalls and or cracking in the tread, Flat top tyres (like a car tyre) or just really old and knowing they are (slippery in all weather).
  11. Thanks,

Only got the bike new in late Feb this year so well and truly still in the learning phase about it all.

Sent you a PM with some more details.

12. yeah I finally caught up with that fact, when I realised I should just hush up when I don't know what I'm talking about :D
  13. is it safe for these adapters to be left on the valve?? I bought one and put it on when checking tyre pressure, but remove it after....
  14. NO! The offset weight puts stress on the base of the valve every time you go over a bump. Eventually it will fail and the valve stem splits off at the base. Then you have a flat tyre and no valve to reinflate it. And if you're as unlucky as me, you're out the back of Lithgow when it happens. Lesson learnt.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, but you can get right angled replacement valve stems when you get your tyres fitted (of course you do it anytime, but you need to remove the tyre from the rim).