Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rifle Barrel Chain Mail

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by PatB, Sep 30, 2011.

1. A couple of weeks back a few posters expressed an interest in an art piece MrsB was putting together.

It's now complete, so I give you Full Metal Jacket :D.

Main rings are decommissioned rifle barrels cut into 1.5mm slices, drilled to take the linking rings and oil blackened.

Linking rings are titanium wire, wound on the lathe and then hand cut into individual loops.

Attached Files:

2. Looks great, well done, looks like lots of time spent to achieve final result.
  3. Pretty darn cool! Very fine crafts man and woman ship!
  4. I can't quite make out what it is can you take some photos with it on a real female.

Make sure she has no other clothes otherwise it would distract from the design.
  5. Just add Boobs and you get there attention lmao
  6. [​IMG]
  7. Waiting for the thread to go slightly nuts.
  8. No nuts. Just boobs kthx.
  9. Ill pay that. good call ;)
  10. Neat!

That barrel's got quite a profile on it - what's it from?
  11. Awesome! It looks like there's at least a couple of barrels involved - I'd love to know what they were too...
    And what other pieces has Mrs B done?
  12. Patb I'm guessing there was alot of time invested in the design from concept to completion?
  13. I don't want to be picky, but as far as chain mail goes it doesn't offer a lot of protection.
    It does however make up for it by looking awesome!!
  14. Thanks for the appreciative comments everyone.

Well, there are several different barrels involved. It's hard to determine the exact origins of most of them 'cos they came in random 200 mm lengths jumbled together in a box after the guns were "decommissioned" by slicing them up in a chop saw. The production technique to slice them into 1.5mm thick rings saw about 70% of the material on the floor as swarf so each section accounted for ~40 rings.

However, a quick wave of the vernier caliper suggested that most were .22s, or thereabouts, of various flavours. Some were definitely from break action air rifles 'cos they still had the hinge and the remains of the cocking lever hanging off the breech end. OTOH, I'd be fairly confident that some were live firearms too, as some bits tapered from what appeared to be a very large outside diameter indeed at the breech end down to the typical 16mm or so you see on most of the rings in the photos, and I don't remember seeing that much in my airgun days (nearly 30 years ago now so memory might be erroneous). The only manufacturers marks visible were Anschutz on one section and "Made in USA" on another. The rest appeared anonymous, although we've still got a load in the box that were too awkwardly shaped to put through my ring production process and which I haven't examined closely yet. There were also (not included in this particular piece) some 12-bore, single shotgun barrels which had worryingly thin walls and, interestingly, a bore that wasn't concentric. Whether this was a design feature, a characteristic of the manufacturing process or a result of wear, I don't know.

It's certainly been an interesting exercise.

Just for some general background, this piece (and a few others) is MrsB's contribution to a group exhibition with a fairly lighthearted "swords into ploughshares" type theme, with the coppers donating the raw materials from their stock of confiscated weapons, and a dozen or so WA artists making of them what they will. AFAIK a share of any proceeds will be going to victims of crime charities.

A couple of MrsB's other pieces are a small creature with a double barrel shotgun lock as its arse and back legs, and a box of the products of "The Legendary Dillinger Soap Company". If I give you the hint that John Dillinger is reputed to have escaped from prison using a gun carved from soap, you should be able to work out the joke.

Yes, the chain mail in particular has been quite time consuming, although treating making the bits on a series production basis lessened the pain somewhat. It also helps that MrsB has been making chain mail jewellery for the last 30 years, off and on, so she's quite practised at it. Being a hyperactive workaholic (her, not me) makes things move along a bit too. My contribution of slicing up the barrels and winding the Ti wire probably accounts for 20 hours all up, although there have been enough spare bits to do a few other odds and sods from. Design, drilling, oil-blacking and, particularly, assembly account for a lot more. Roughly speaking there's probably 100-150 hours in it at a guess.

Shitloads, in both 2D and 3D. One of the rules of being a successful professional artist is to be hugely prolific and she's certainly taken that one to heart. Ten years on from first seriously trying to get her arts career off the ground, even with sales and commissions taken out, our house and sheds are bursting at the seams with her production. Her works tend to be pretty dark, although she's bidding for some large, public projects at the moment which tend to need to be relatively light and inoffensive for general public consumption. More exercises in graphic design than art per se.

And for those wanting boobs, yes, there is a possibility of the chain mail piece being worn by one of MrsB's more petite friends at the exhibition opening in (I think) about 3 weeks time. Maybe I'll be nice and post pics :D.
  15. That's awesome PatB! Tell Mrs PatB she's done a top job, random people on the internet said so.

It's a little more S&M than Medieval, like I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing ;)

Ah Dillinger! One of my all time favourite bands is The Dillinger Escape Plan, IIRC, his escape plan consisted of shooting his way out.

Very fitting.

That'd be tops!
  16. Thread subscribed lol.

Nah, well done to MrsB.
  17. Ditto, actually. Since slicing up the barrels/winding the rings a few weeks ago, I hadn't actually seen it taking shape until a couple of days ago when the photos were taken so I wasn't quite expecting what turned out. Works though :D.
  18. Be aware that chrome moly steel barrels have tiny pores in the bore that can trap lead particulates so keep it away from young kids and preggers chicks if you don't know the history of the barrels (they may have been used for leadies and be quite contaminated). It looks cool but kind of kinky for chain mail!
  19. Caution is noted with thanks. However, as it's not really intended as a wearable item of clothing, the risk to those not involved in the manufacture is likely to be minimal, especially as the barrel slices have a coat of lacquer on them to protect the black finish.

It does make me think it would pay to be doubly cautious about ventilation when doing the oil-blacking (which involves heating the slices to cherry red before dropping into old engine oil) though. Any fumes may be quite toxic.
  20. Just as long as you are sure you haven't been knocked up.......