Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding with strong wind.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by SX2BU, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Hey guys,
    So i'm still new to riding and i went for a ride up to Whittlesea today. I wasn't aware how windy it was, but i though "how bad could it be"

So i'm riding around, holding on, getting smashed by the wind. I was riding directly into it, and it hit me left and right and i could really feel the bike getting pushed through the lane.

Any tips on how to handle this? I noticed easing off the throttle when the wind pushed helped a little, but i donno how useful that will be with traffic behind you, already pissed off because you're riding slower than the speed limit (like i was at the time).

2. As bad as this sounds I just let the bike move around under me. Within reason of course. Seems to work on the freeway, not sure if it is the right thing to do, but as long as the bike stays well within the lane I'm happy.

3. ^^^ +1

Grip your tank with your knees, keep your arms relaxed and let the bike move under you (keeping it within your lane)

Slow down and ride to the conditions and your experience level

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. try squeezing your knees into the tank and only lightly hold the grips, so basically use your legs to lock yourself on the bike and relax your grip, your arms and elbows so that you can be more effective with your steering. This takes a while to learn, because when you're nervous you naturally tighten your grip and tense up your arms through to your shoulders...keep telling yourself to relax and say it aloud rather than just thinking it.

5. yeah i think i did the opposite of that haha.
    Don't think i could've held on tighter if i tried. :p

6. I ride with strong wind all the time, normally I stand up on the pegs and let it rip ;)

Seriously, I ride in high winds but try to avoid the mountains on days like today as getting hit by a falling branch could ruin your day!

• Like Like x 1
  7. This weather pattern is about as bad as it gets. Much stronger and it would be too dangerous to ride, as you would have storm conditions. As the other "Nets" have said, let the bike move around as it will anyway, grip the tank with yout thighs. I went up the Dandenongs late yesterday and it was more sheltered there - just had to watch for tree debris and McDonalds protesters. The gusts will move you around, but it won't get worse that this. Sounds like you handled it well.

8. ah good to hear! i can only just imagine what wind, rain and peak hour would be like lol.

9. Not fun is the simple answer but you do get used to it and after a while you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

10. Honestly peak hour plus rain is the best time to be riding I find. The most entertaining as you filter past alllllllll the cars.

11. That's also the time when there's much more cars than normal. There's always more traffic when it rains!

12. I would also suggest that you don't hide from the wind. Practise in windy weather as if you try to avoid it you will get caught sooner or later.

13. yeh I had a shocker riding from Canberra to Sydney on Saturday - very strong crosswinds pushing me into oncoming traffic. I wish I had read this before taking on that ride - I would have relaxed a bit. Decided to slow down and take backroads. Longer ride, but that's ok with me...

14. I just keep my grip loose on the bars and don't really notice the wind. Sometimes I have to kind of lie down on my bike going up a hill to maintain the speed limit too if the wind is blowing into me.

15. I'm use to riding where the winds will gust without warning. Follow the above tips regarding holding with your knees etc. Throttle control is everything, precise on/off will settle things down.

From an observation point of view, when looking up the road, look for wind gusts moving debris, trees etc. and try and anticipate when its going to hit. Letting up the throttle a fraction just as it hits will transfer weight to the front tyre and anchor you a bit more, you then need to transfer the weight back by coming back on throttle and move the weight back to the rear. Some bikes are easier to do this with. My old K1200RS only needed a couple of degrees movement of the throttle to stay rock steady, even at warp speeds.

16. Just be sure the wind is coming from the atmosphere, rather than being self generated (should go in the bad jokes thread, but somebody had to bring it up).

17. There is a trick for handling cross winds.

Now, to be honest, I'm hesitant of mentioning it to complete new riders, but....

if you pick the side the wind is coming from, you swivel your knee, on that side, out into the airflow.

Yes, you lose the knees gripping the tank, but, it does work.

Please try this with appropriate care.

18. Next time your riding in the wind.. try not squeezing the crap out of the bike. It actually enhances the wind effect and not the other way around.
    If you go loose you will find the bike naturally wants to lean into the wind to hold its line, fight it itself. So.... we guard against it taking us too far by slowing down. The faster you go doesn't help. That's why they don't do speed records in any wind.
    So stay loose and assist the bike with what it's trying to do. Guard with the outside leg and inside hand against the bike drifting too far and ride to the conditions.
    Otherwise your reactions wont be fast enough to handle gusty conditions and you will eventually be caught out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Too windy? Time to bring out the Silvia

20. Cheers for the tips guys, it was a bit of a shock to experience it so soon in my riding days, but it wont stop me from going at it again. At least now ill be more prepared!