Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding with high beam

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by youhavebugs, May 28, 2014.

1. Why are there so many riding with high beams on during the day and night?

Is it a fashion statement?

2. I'd say that more often than not the bike's actually on low-beam, but they're carrying a pillion/luggage and haven't increased their rear suspension preload or re-aimed their headlight to compensate for the added weight. The back of the bike squats down, and the low-beam ends up shining into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Or they could just be arseholes. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nah I'm not talking about those ones, that pretty common sense, I'm talking about the ones that definitely have their high beam on and some have not bags/passengers

4. My low beam is broken.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Because we are sick of blind fcuking old people not seeing us and putting us in hospital. That's why I ride high beam during the day

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. It's also to do with the fact that it's difficult on most bikes to adjust the lights, and lots of people don't ride at night so they don't know that their lights are not adjusted properly...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Seems you are more like a tool. You probably believe high-vis vests will save your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I have a claim to fame. I have never lost a single game of high-beam off quick draw in my life late at night on quiet roads.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. High beam wont help, it will just piss more people off so they have an attitude towards bikes.

Just stop it...NOW!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Will also cause some of them to assume you are a cyclist with one of those extreme high intensity LED lights. Closing speed misperception. Crunch.

11. Not all fcuking old people are blind and not all blind people are old so watch it junior :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I try not to but sometimes is hard to assess the condition of the road ahead... still I flick them off whenever I can if theres a big group of cars/bikes coming the opposite way

13. I usually fly low beam but I have a Dolphin torch which I use with my left hand. By combining my torch/clutch/lane filtering technique (Twist of the Wrist volume 5) I'm able to check the cages to see if anyone is carrying their sister on board.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Because a lot of people are stupid and think that making themselves painful to look at will help them to be seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I reckon there would be a good correlation between the noise of the bike and whether they overuse highbeams or not.

16. Because it's coming to winter.

7327514380_18385ff912_m.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. there are none so blind as those that cannot see

• Like Like x 1
  18. My mate always rides with high beam on, he said it's so people will see him. I have found it makes it difficult to judge the distance to him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. how can you tell if they are high beam.. or just plus 100 or plus 120 bulbs? or a HID conversion?

20. I've told more than a few people this exact truth but it seems people don't like to be told the tactic they're betting their life on is fundamentally flawed.