Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Riding to mechanic

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Jewfishy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Hey, I know this is a silly question and probably been asked before but after doing my own research on the RTA website I just wanted to clarify things so I don't get fined to high heaven.

Bike is booked into a mechanic tomorrow, just wondering on the legality of riding it. I know I can go via the most direct route to the most 'convenient' mechanic for the purpose of insurance and registration. However, I didn't see much on riding a bike with a defect (exhaust), as of right now I can't insure or register until the defect is cleared.

Am I able to ride it to the mechanic with a defect (not a notice, an issued defect by EPA), for the process of removing defect + getting insurance and rego (been over 3 months on this too, so I need to get a blue slip)?

Cheers, and sorry if this is an annoying question.

2. If it's one of those EPA noise defects, you're allowed to ride it to the mechanic to get it fixed.

From the Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008, s 26:

26(6) A person is not guilty of an offence under subclause (5) arising because the motor vehicle is being taken directly to a place:
    (a) where repairs or other work required to reduce the noise level of the vehicle are to be carried out, or
    (b) in accordance with a notice issued in respect of the motor vehicle under this clause or under section 207 of the Act,
    [this would be a notice requiring a test or inspection]

And yes, you'll need a blue slip if the rego's slipped for 3 months.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. It's a good idea to write out a quick letter stating your purposes, destination, and route if it is a.bit far away, then date and sign, and take with you.
    Then you can produce it if pulled over and you'll be much less likely to get done for no rego (rather than making you prove it in court)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. realistically what would go wrong.

5. Thanks for the info guy!