Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding tips moving from a 250 to a 750

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by mogley, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Hi all.

So i finally bit the bullet and have a nice shiny beautiful GSXR 750 to play with.

I took it out for a spin tonight (first proper ride since I got it home) and the first thing i noticed was this thing makes my Ninja 250r feel like a real scooter.

Obviously from a power perspective but moreso just the lack of turn radius and handle bar lock against the fairings.

How did you guys adjust to this and what should i be expecting realistically the bike will be able to do in terms of u-turns and roundabouts?

For the roundabouts, I'm thinking you need to tip the bike in a little more and lean more at full lock but i'm not sure this is a good idea at round about speeds and i definately don't see myself being able to do the good old almost-dropped-my-250-leg-stomp save on this one. Having my hand jammed against the tank at full lock is also no good for my throttle. The other problem also is the bike doesn't like to be in 1st gear at low speed so i'm finding i need to play with the clutch/throttle (esp if it's a full u-turn roundabout move vs straight through).

Sharp left and right turns out of stationary intersections is also a challenge and rightly so given the nature of the bike but just wondering realistically what i can and can't do.

All in all, had an absolute blast and very glad I started on the 250.

Any other general tips i should be aware of?

2. Just go easy on that throttle. If your going to nail it don't do it around town. Make sure u have a clear road ahead with no cars or driveways up ahead. The world turns into one big blur very quickly on a bike like that. Be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just don't be too heavy on the throttle, and try not to keep up with other riders on ride days if they have more experience than you, go at your own pace - recipe for disaster.

4. go easy on the bike.
    lean more as turn radius isnt much.
    from what you stated , the power of bike is beyond your control right now so get to know it and make yourself feel comfortable in control.
    do not push yourself to the limit of your ability by all means.

5. Most of what your saying is in your head, yes the bike feels heavier, yes it feels like it is harder to get to full lock, but you will get used to it.

For U-turns you just need a little more forward momentum to keep the bike standing.

As for round a bouts and left right turns there really shouldn't be any difference, yesterday i was filtering and making sharp left and rights between cars and my bike is bigger/wider/heavier with a larger turning radius.

I suggest you practice your cone weave and U-turn in a box from the MOST test, along with your throttle brake and clutch control while riding at slow speed, (less than walking speed)

Practice makes perfect.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. +1
    I definitely agree with this. In Sydney (not sure where you are) at Homebush there is the place where people practice for their MOST. It has the cone weave, U-Turn box, collision avoidance, emergency stop markers etc.

There's no shame going back there and re-learning how to control your new bike. It's a totally different animal, but at least you'll have the experience of theoretically knowing how to keep control.

I do this all the time, it's sort of fun, and puts you at one with your bike, and certainly raises the level of confidence.

Practice certainly does make perfect.

7. They'll turn tighter than you think. Turn your head (a lot), slip the clutch, apply a little rear brake and think it round, hey presto. Like iClint says, it's mostly in your head. Watch this video and see big Harleys, Hondas and BMWs being manoeuvred in tight courses like they were 250s.

8. And +1 on Edward VH's suggestion. When I went from a VT400 to a GSX650F I took it straight back to Saturday morning practice (Melbourne) and learnt how to handle it in tight/slow manoeuvring. It really helps you to get comfortable and confident with the bike and your ability to handle it competently.

9. If you're going anywhere near using full lock on a roundabout, you are going too slow and keeping the bike too upright. Full lock is only a problem tiptoeing around your garage. Use a bit more speed, wide in - tight out, slip the clutch a bit to prevent jerky throttle inputs, use rear rather than front brake if necessary, aaaaaand invest in some oggy knobs...

10. Clutch, clutch and clutch.
    You can never practice enough. Go play around the MOST track and practice your basics, coming from the baby ninja the GSXR will be an absolute animal.

11. The main things I strongly suggest, as have others, is be very gentle on the throttle, and practice, practice and practice.

The more you ride it the more you'll get used to it.

I have a Bandit 1200, my wife has an SV650S. They are very very different bikes to ride. When I swap between them, I take it easy for a few k's while I get 'the feel' for them.

12. I think you made the point yourself - LEAN OVER.

You can pretty much ride a small bike around without ever really getting it over on a decent lean. But a bigger bike - if you try that you'll be straight lining the first roundabout you come to.

Take your time, learn to love the lean angle.

13. From leaving the round about twist the wrist hard and clutch it, do this every single time

14. I'm still getting used to my 400 (lots smaller than your 750), and I agree with what others are saying about practicing cone weaves, u-turns etc.

I found that everything was easier once I got my clutch/throttle/trailbrake control right for slowriding. I now have no trouble with roundabouts, and my daily challenge is a tiny uphill then downhill then uphill round about into a car park. On my tiny 125, I'd tip it over sideways and just use the throttle and trail brake. On my 400, its a lean in, ride the friction point and gentle throttle.

15. I have done this same move about a month ago (VTR250 --> GSX-R750) here is what I've learnt so far:

Be careful accelerating while lent over when the tyres are cold. (Pulling out of your street)
    Be careful accelerating while lent over when it's wet. I was rewarded with a minor tank slapper. Steering dampers are awesome.
    It has a larger turning circle.
    The front wheel will come off the ground in first and second if you goose the throttle.
    DO SUPERBIKE SCHOOL.
    It takes a LOT longer to slow down from 200-0 than 100-0.

16. don't ride with all your weight through your arms.......all you are doing is reducing the amount of turn you do have through the handlebars and also reduce muscle fatigue too!!
    Use your core(abs) strength to hold your body & lean through your waist so that you can free up your arms to maximise the amount of turning you do have on the 750

17. Practice your slow riding. (It also improves your fast riding!)
    I find the best way is to ride the rear brake.
    My garage is off a lane and I ride as slowly as I can down the lane after every ride.
    To me, sporty bikes seem a bit less stable, which gives the quick handling
    but is a bit of a bugger going slow. They are designed for 240k not 12k.
    Is the idle OK if it doesn't like to be in 1st at low speeds. That sounds odd.
    Might be too high? Or you haven't got the throttle control sorted yet.
    Have you done an advanced riding course? HART intermediate or advanced 1
    (in Vic) are good when you first get a big bike.

18. This may be a silly question, but - why is that?

19. It's a load of crap and the proof is in the chicken strips, you'll find them on 'big' bikes to.

20. Thanks guys.

A lot of what you say applies to me on my little 500 (which frankly is the hugest thing I have ridden alone...leaving aside horses)

I am really wobbly on my slow riding and a little intimidated by the weight at slow speeds (I am short and not as fit as I might be)

Roads and corners are different. Love them