Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding Tip of the Day

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mouth, Feb 2, 2006.

1. When out riding we all notice, or have an epiphany, a riding tip or suggestion about our own riding or that of a fellow rider that we spot. Thought I'd start a topic where the idea is that once very day, or couple of days, someone enters a tip that they had or would have liked to give to another rider they spotted.

Would be ideal to keep the discussion on each tip to a minimum (suggest start a new topic to discuss a particular tip) so as it becomes fairly easy just to read posts in this particular topic and just get the tips.

So, naturally I'll start off with the first/today's tip....

If you are lane splitting and your path ahead is blocked, so you decide to cross between and on to the other side of cars to continue your lane splitting .. always come to a stop and perform a head check before pulling out into the adjacent 'splitting lane' to ensure that you are not going to suddenly pull out in front of another splitting rider, causing them to come to a sudden screetching halt so as to not hit you and take you both out.

2. Sounds simple but....

Don't underestimate the importance of having a quick glance down side streets and even main cross roads at intersections. You would be surprised how often someone "gunns" it through a red light or stop sign and could so easily collect an unaware rider.

i Just had a very near miss on the way home. Driver went straight through a red light and if i hadn't checked before taking off i would no longer be here.
  3. Today's tip ....

Rounding a corner/sweeper, you spot some road surface hazard (stones, oil, wet bark/leaves, cow pat, etc.). Don't panic and/or grab the brakes, immediately adjust your line and take the left or right car tyre track and follow that track/line through the corner. This will generally be the cleanest and safest path through the corner.
  4. Coming into a corner too hot or encountering a decreasing radius corner, leave the brakes alone, look through the corner and tip the bike in harder much safer option which should see you out the other end of the corner rather than in the trees.
  5. When riding with a pillion, use more rear brake to slow and stop the bike. The rear brake squats the bike down rather than pitching the weight forward, so your passenger won't get squashed as hard into your back.

This not only makes the ride more comfortable for the passenger - it keeps the weight off your wrists to give you more turning ability should you need it.

The extra weight over the rear tyre also means you have significantly more traction to play with, so your rear tyre is less likely to slide out.
  6. Dont sit in traffic behind the exhaust pipe of 60 series Diesel Landcruisers, you will COVERED in a cloud of diesel when they take off as the traffic starts moving again.
  7. When having a pillion on the back of a sports bike and braking get them to put the pressure on your hips with there hands and save your wrists and as previously stated use you rear brake as stated by loz :grin:
  8. My humble tip....don't fixate on kerbs when turning into side streets or doing U turns!
    And teh braking tips above are good ones, as a trail braker in cars(where I usually brake coming into and almost to the apex, of course, not as hard through the corner as on approach), it's a habit I am trying to kick, although I do tend to trail rear brake into corners on teh bike sometimes, but my bike carries a lot of rear weight, so it seems O.K.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. Always keep half and eye on your mirrors, particularly when you are stopped. Its far too easy to get rear ended. If you do find yourself stuck at the back of a column of cars or solo at a set of lights, plan an emergency escape route (bike path, between cars, etc) and be ready to move into it, keep the bike in gear and watch your mirrors for the car approaching behind.

If possible/legal safely lane filter to the front of the column of cars so you have a shield of cages behind you, when you get to the front remain offset to the traffic behind you (thier foot can still slip and rearend you, as happened to me). Ensure you move to a position where the cage at the front of the line can see you (truckers might not see you and roll forward over you).

Also when you are taking off from the lights, give a quick check left and right to ensure someone running a red doesn't collect you.

Also acknowledge people with a wave or nod, this can use used to thank and encourage drivers that make room for you and also can defuse some drivers who get angry at you "pushing in".
  10. When you're coming up to a corner, even if it's not a real tight one, make it a habit to move your feet back and put your toes up on the footpegs.

This gives you extra ground clearance - the toes and sides of your boots are less likely to touch down - and the extra confidence that ground clearance creates.

Once you're comfy with this, you can start only moving the inside foot up, which gives you slightly quicker access to the gear or brake lever if you need it - but I get my toes up anytime I think I might need to do something, it helps me feel ready for action!
  11. I reckon one of the biggest tips I want to give out to each day is mainly to scooter riders (nothing personal peoples only because most I see here haven't done a ridersafe course)

Give yourselves a bit of visibility and DON'T travel on the lefthand side in the left lane. I see scooters daily travelling as close to the left as possible, while that might be law for cars it is ignored with bikes. The closer to the left you are the less visible you are to a car pulling out from side streets.
  12. When riding along and you see a girl lifting her top up, don't turn your head quickly to look cause as you ride past and your head swings further around you'll end up with a sharp pain running up the back of your neck!
  13. When putting the bike on it's side stand ensure that the side stand is actually down and hasn't sprung back up or you may end up lying on the ground with a bike on top of you.

:oops: :oops:

14. If you're riding along in the right hand wheel track of your lane on a two lane highway and a large truck or bus is approaching, move over to the eft of your lane so you don't get sucked in.
  15. My tip is for scooter riders and some bike riders.
    If you own one of those stupid helmets with a plain face sheild on it .....GET RID OFF IT.
    Buy a Full face helmet.

As reported in the press of late , There has been a massive increase in the amout of Facial injurys and reconstructive surgery over the last 12 months because of these Helmets.
    Yes they do meet standards , but a full face will protect you more.
  16. When parking your bike on a hot day, make sure you have the side stand on concrete....asphalt goes VERY soft and your side stand almost certainly will sink and you may come back to a bike on it's side. Carry a small metal plate or squashed can to get around this if necessary.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  17. adendum to lil's side stand tip:

When putting the side stand down, get into the habit of draggin the bike backwards about 15 - 20 cms to ensure that the stand is all the way forward and not just almost fully engaged. This easy little habit can save your bike from inexplicably falling over.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  18. Birds take off into the wind.
  19. blip your brakes a few times when you roll off the throttle/use engine breaking- give the tin tops behind a wake up, maybe they won't rear end you.

then again, maybe they will.
  20. Be f*cking careful with the front brake on gravel. Rely on the rear and only ever feather the front unless you're a slide god.