Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding the same run, can you come undone?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by BENNY THE JET, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Been on the forum for a couple of years,just after some thoughts of the pros and cons of running the same route?
    Becoming too familiar with the same course being a bad thing ???
    When new to riding can this help?
    After a couple of years, can you get caught out on new roads that you think may be similar.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Interesting thought. The obvious benefit of knowing the route well is that you are unlikely to get caught up in any tricky double bends, or tightening radii. So in theory can ride more to your ability than on an unknown road where you can't just fly into every corner.

The downside may be that "familiarity breeds contempt" and perhaps riding your known route on an off day can lead to lack of concentration that could result in something less than ideal 'cos you're automatically going your normal speed but without the attention needed.

Whereas a new road you probably try harder to concentrate even when you're struggling to.

Interested to hear others' views on this.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Absolutely familiarity can breed contempt -- the number of accidents that occur close to home would seem to support this.

From my own experience, I'm a lot more circumspect about a road I don't do often (e.g. the Oxley) v.s. one I do a lot (Old Pac or Putty) where you invariably end up relying on some degree of muscle memory. I'd say that I'm 'faster' on the Old Pac but 'more correct' on the Oxley. The same holds for my day job -- I'm a lot more cautious when I'm looking after a patient with a lot of unknowns than someone who's fit & healthy.

The advantage of knowing a road well is that you can devote more attention to a particular aspect of your riding, like getting off the brakes smoothly or whatever.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Interesting scenario BENNY THE JETBENNY THE JET
    As a new rider, I like riding on roads I know (okay maybe know a little) as I feel more relaxed and feel that I can enjoy the ride quite a bit more than on new roads. I think I can concentrate on a particular aspect of a road I know, like a particular sweeping right hander or the lines through some snakey corners etc.
    On unfamiliar roads when riding alone, i feel quite a bit more tentative on corners especially crests and as I don't know where car/side road entries are, I am hesitant to overtake on some straights. I still enjoy the ride but there is some more caution there holding me back.
    I feel more comfortable on a new road when following someone more experienced.

But I know that often in the car, I have arrived in the driveway and thought shit I could have run someone over and I wouldn't even know it. I honestly have no real memory of the drive home.
    When I used to do on call, I could wake up the next morning and be seriously amazed to find my handwriting in patient notes...was so on autopilot, drove in, did whatever I had to for generally about a couple of hours, drove home and went back into bed and sound asleep. Scary scary stuff.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just a thought if you ride the same road all the time and become too familiar with it ,could you treat it like a race track??
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. If you're on friendly terms with the local Highway Patrol, game on. :sneaky:
  7. Don't most of us already?
    I know I tend to push way way harder when I know the roads...I don't even bother looking at the speedo..it is irrelevant at that moment- if it feels right, it just is... :D
    Naughty but nice!

Yes I know I know...so hush my mouth and gag me with a spoon ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry but I need to put this one to bed. The only reason this statistic exists is not because your complacent, it's because it's the area where you are most likely to be in. Remember just about every trip starts and ends close to home. Statistically your just far more likely to be there.

To answer the question though I think you have the potential to develop certain skills really well at the expense of others. If you always do the same thing then obviously there are certain scenarios you won't experience and won't get a chance to practice. Potentially leading to a drop in skill or a failure to acquire new skills.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Great question. I found the other day coming home I thought "I got this corner". At the last minute i saw there was broken glass right where I would have ridden. Luckily I reacted quick. Muscle memory and familiarity can be a good thing but it can come undone easily. Especially with such a constantly changing environment.
    During Uncle GregUncle Greg's Saturday practise ride I found I was concentrating more on an unfamiliar road and therefore more aware of my surroundings.
    That's just my opinion though
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. I've only been riding since February and it took me a few weeks to leave my local road. As a newbie it was a great place to build skills and confidence, especially getting up to a decent speed before I felt able to get into traffic. But getting too familiar with it cost me a wobble and reminded me to pull my head in as it's not the greatest of roads. I'm constantly reminding myself that it takes just one lapse of concentration, regardless of familiarity or not, for it to all go wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I agree with all the above.
    But I do think as a noobie having an area that you are, dare I say comfortable riding, can be a good way to start your ride. A bit of a relaxant if you will.
    Or if your confidence has taken a knock, going riding somewhere familiar may just do the trick...
    I still get a buzz fanging over the first bit of road I started out on near where I live, that had some nice corners. Lots of trucks go along there so I know that there can be some bladder buster pot holes and keep an eye out. The local single sheep and his mate, goatey oat recognise the yoshi now and that I sometimes stop and give them carrots and a pat. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Goatey Oat? That's hilarious. I had a friend's donkey stay with us for a few months. His name was Don Quitoxe (Donkey Oatey) :ROFLMAO:
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Running the same roads can cause you to come undone if your running on autopilot and not concentrating on where you are especially after a long day. On new to me roads I'm always concentrating more on road conditions, traffic, bends, or whatever, than when I'm on roads I've done 1000's times before. Back in my early days when I was working 2+ jobs, looong hours, big mortgages, young family, etc. like OldmaidOldmaid, I quite often had no memory of traveling between jobs and home. Can be quite sobering.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. One of the things I was taught many moons ago was never to take any road for granted no matter how well you know it. For you don't know what is around the next corner and a lot of things can happen since you last were there be it gravel, oil, a big pot hole or your local Highway patrolman gathering taxes
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. For me, autopilot doesn't tend to go on if I've made time to go out for some twisties. It happens on the commute, though.

New roads are awesome, and for me really helped to develop visual skills. They don't get tested in the same way if you have prior knowledge about a given corner.

Familiar roads are good for practising bike handling. Both are equally likely to have fallen tree / other hazard so pays to have a relaxed look at a stretch of road if you want to do a few laps. and work on something.

Only doing familiar roads is probably a bad idea. Imagine somebody who'd only ride to the black spur and back try Eildon Jamieson road with the same mentaility. Very different roads.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Haha, not a problem for me. My memory is so bad that every ride is like a new one. Yes, seriously! It's a PITA and almost a disability.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. These things called new roads,where are they. After way way to many years riding around Sydney its a joy to find something new. Nothing better than lots and lots of new unsign posted well surfaced tight stuff.Developing the ability to pick whats coming and not get surprised,well it happens occasionally but the trick is to flow and reduce the surprises to hopefully zero. And then we have the roads you do a lot,to the point where you know and avoid the bumps,especially those 2 separate dips mid corner on lefts in the 60k zone before The Road Warriors and after heading back to Sydney.
    Can get tedious,I wont say boring doing the same stuff all the time. One definite rule I have and I dont know why, I dont do laps, just one pass through per ride.For some reason I seem to thing it temps the riding gods doing multiple passes,make no sense but thats just me.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. #20 dima, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Same routes help a lot when you want to ride with a specific purpose without exercising your judgement to much.

Examples of that could be: working out the great changes; understanding what you do on the bike; trying to setup suspension etc.
    Even just going for a joy ride to get away from the work or similar.

However, to become a good, proficient road rider one needs to get exposed to as many situations as possible.

The reason for that is not to become complacent and aggregate a set of images in your brain.

I love ravenraven's idea on this. So I'll steal it and explain in my own words.

It takes your brain seconds to process, asses and act correctly in the situation that never happened before.
    That is way too much time.

The only way to react well and fast is by having the image of the similar situation in your subconsciousness so that the brain doesn't spend time to asses it.
    Your body will know what to do well before the brain.

So you need to keep excersising just to keep your judgement and proficiency growing. Like in any sport.

That is simply called experience... and exposure to varying situations.

(I'm far away from being real proficient and it'll take me years and years to get there. But being aware of that is an important recognition).
    • Like Like x 3