Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding the day after my first crash

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by plaidler, Aug 18, 2013.

1. G'day all,
    after yesterdays events i sat here last night really thinking about how i feel about riding, risk v reward and generally weather i really wanted to get out there again.

Years ago i was in a severe car crash as a passenger resulting in 20+fractures to my right cheek, several fractures to my skull, damage to my left ear, nerve damage to right side of face, a broken jaw both sides, a tracheaostmy(spelling) and bruising on my brain.

Needless to say the accident changed my life, i pushed hard and came through it as i am today.

The decision to get my learners was a huge one for me as i'd gone out of my way not to put myself in the same position as i'd been in before.

I went ahead with it because it felt like such a radical change to my attitude and how i spend my free time and i was rewarded with that feeling of freedom that so many of you are familiar with.

Yesterdays accident was 100% my fault and therefore an event where i had complete control over the outcome.
    Today i strapped my sore knee and got on the bike around 9am. I felt nervous but was on my own and went my own way with it.

Rode the RNP to bald hill, then down heathcote/menai rd to MCA then back down woodville-henry lawson dve to home.

I pulled over at burns rd heathcote and spent 20 min emergency braking from 80km/h over and over again. I even hit a bump whilst braking putting the back wheel into a skid but immediately released the rear brake and reapplied coming to a quick safe stop.
    Im home now at 2.40, i feel good about the ride today in contrast to yesterday lying on the road with the bike on top of me with a head full of second thoughts.

I know the post is long but i felt what better place to share my thoughts on the past 2 days

Take care everyone and i'll see some of you at the next learner session either next week or the week after.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Good on you for getting back on it. I took (and, I'll admit, failed) my full licence test back in the UK the day after stuffing my bike into the back of a bus. The effects of a decent concussion and some cracked ribs made it an interesting experience but I was buggered if I was going to forfeit the test fee :D.
  3. That's the ticket champ.
  4. Back on like a champion!

Take that attitude in anything you do and you'll go far in life. :)

Good to hear.
  5. well done mate
  6. Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
  7. Well done for pushing through.

One thing that can help push through the niggling doubts is to understand fully what you did wrong. It's not enough to just accept the blame, but to understand all angles, what you could have done leading up to it, what you'd do different next time, what skills you need to work towards etc. How are you going with that?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. That's the proper attitude if you want to continue riding, well done
  9. Well done mate!(y)
  10. As I said in the learner thread; practice your e-braking until it becomes second nature so-as not to repeat the past. Good to see you're straight back on the bike and actively practised what you feel was lacking in your bag of skills.
  11. I certainly don't ride the same way I did before my crash. Use it and gain from it mate. Keep doing what you're doing!
  12. Mate I'm sorry to hear about your off on Saturday!! I had a very close call which i'll post about in a second.

Yes - you just have to get back on the horse. After my road rage incident I went through that thinking phase as well. But my stubborn-ness got the better of me and, like yourself, found myself back on the bike as soon as I could.

Good on you buddy. I know how much you've been enjoying riding (your face at Wollombi the other week said it all). Stay on the horse and keep enjoying it! :)
  13. Excellent. You have done very well.

It took my wife a few months to get back on a bike, partly because her wrist/hand was in plaster and partly because I stupidly didn't push her. She is now struggling (12 months after her accident) with confidence.

I really do recommend getting back on the horse as soon as you are physically able to.
  14. Bad to hear about your off, but great to hear you got straight back on.
    Too easy to lose the confidence you've built up if you don't.
    Great that you went straight to practice what you had identified as your mistake & practiced.
    Well done.
  15. Good on'ya OP :D
  16. Good to hear your not giving it up.
  17. Well its been a hell of a week,

My knee is better and thx to netrider i managed to finally snag a much better seat for my Yamaha xvs 650

Yesterday we had a big ride planned. I was with 2 friends, both experienced riders, one on a sports bike and another on a suzuki boulevarde. Started at Peakhurst to appin, wilton rd to pheasants nest, then to bowral for lunch. Then on to robinson, down Mac Pass and back up again.

Then we turned left down Jambaroo pass

Then i stacked it, again.

Going down mac pass felt like the most serious riding through twisties i had done, and i felt ok doing it though coming up was much more fun then going down.
    But Jambaroo pass heading down felt like a way different beast for me, half way down i hit a corner that said 25kph but i swear it felt a lot tighter and just as i came out you have to turn right immediately and i screwed up and went straight instead.There were 3 signs so i aimed between the poles and smashed my leg on on of them.
    It hurt.
    Bike dropped on a bed of leaves, (as all bikes should) and i walked around in a circle for a while, lol.
    I got back on and started to continue the ride down but i had clearly lost my nerve and i was far to stiff and lacked conviction with braking and cornering.

I pulled over and told my mate on the suzuki who had stayed behind me i wasnt doing so well and he said just stay in second and take all the time u need then we'll stop at the bottom for a while. I made it down, we found somewhere for a coffee then took the freeway home.

The freeway ride home was awesome, absolutely loved it, in fact the whole day was a blast. But jambaroo pass, like, last week highlighted some real weaknesses in my riding and it definately felt beyond my skill level.

So i have questions...

Im on a cruiser, it obviously will never handle like a sports bike. On the way down i was braking where i thought i should and trying to be in the right gear but what is the approach/thinking on the way down something as steep as jambaroo pass. Even staying in 2nd/3rd its so damn steep the bike was speeding up somewhat anyway so braking was mandatory in some places. On the way up its so much more about cornering and right gear but on the way down im constantly hitting corners that are not only steep but lead into other steep sharp corners where i dont get that patch of straight to prepare for the next corner and thats where i came unstuck.
    Due to my lack of skill/experience im substituting cornering skill with braking and in this case on this road it just doesnt work.

The second question is, on the way home i kinda opened it up on the way home, and loved it, but i honestly felt the headlight wasnt revealing enough of the road ahead of me. I know you wont get the same width in light as a car but how far ahead of the bike should the light be shining, same as a car?.

The good news is i hit my good leg yesterday so the slight limp is gone from last week. Bike didnt feel a thing cause thats how i roll aparrantly, and i'll see you all next saturday at the learners session, battlescars and all.
  18. Having a time of it aren't you mate! With the Saturday cone sessions, they're great for teaching you how to throw the bike around at slow speeds, but the cornering technique is slightly different at higher speeds for curves. Still counter steering obviously, but lean your head and body into the curve, (you don't have to move your arse) and always look well ahead of you. Try and find a nice wide open carpark, and play around with moving your body weight on the bike. If you get comfortable with that, look through the corner and not at the road immediately in front of you, you'll find that the bike tracks through the curve smoother, and without as much concious input by you. Remember, slow in, fast out. You don't want to be having to grab brakes mid corner while you're still learning, so make sure you don't put yourself in that position.

Re: the light, my gs500 suffers the same dismal projection. I always ride on high beam as a result.
  19. Don't rely on speed advisory signs. What speed you do depends on how YOU judge the corner. Not on how some numpty judged the corner and then put up a sign according to that.
    What do you do when there are no speed advisory signs? Continue at the speed limit? Of course not. So then don't rely on them just because they happen to be in the area you currently ride in. Ride your own ride, don't listen to other's advice on what speed to chose.

Sorry about your offs, glad you walked away! Next time you might not be so lucky, so take care!
  20. Fully agree. Ride at a speed you feel comfortable.
    Uphill is always easier than downhill no matter what you ride.
    Watch tight corners, cruisers tend to 'plough' around them if taken a bit too quick.
    I used to have a 650 V Star too, I know!!
    P.S. the headlights are crap! I rode with high beam all the time. Never once got flashed by others. High beam during the day too. Can barely see low in daylight!