Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding shoe alternatives?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ReniDze1, Nov 23, 2015.

1. I know this is probably blasphemy, but i wan't to know what the best alternatives are to proper riding shoes/boots. 95% of my rides are under 3km and its mostly to work or a mates... I find myself not wearing the proper shoes and instead just my sneakers. However i would like to know what are the better alternatives than sneakers and riding shoes... Somewhere in between? Any particular shoe or boot that you use and have found it to be the perfect balance?

2. I have a pair of those casual riding shoes which I think look better than most of my normal shoes.

Something like this....

They have a stiff sole, and offer a little protection around the ankle and all leather. Horses for courses with gear IMO.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I have something similar to the above Fly racing M21's
    I got these second hand of AcidTripAcidTrip if memory serves he recently had something similar fore sale
  4. Hiking boots, watch the laces.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hmm i dont mind those at all.
  6. Would a pair of Timberlands do the trick? Whats the deal with laces? No good?
  7. don't want the laces getting caught on anything, this can cause you to not be able to put your foot down. Same deal as a push bike and I've never had a drama, just need to be a bit careful.
  8. TCX X-STREET are nice riding sneakers. Google them for tons of images.
  9. MATE!!! Don't do it. I fell into that trap but learned a big lesson. When my ex came off, the bike was travelling very slowly hardly even walking pace. My thought was in that situation, that she didn't need much abrasion resistance as she could not ride fast and would not slide far down the road. As far as it goes that statement is true.

However when she finally fell off, the bike landed on her. The footpeg folded up as it was supposed to. The little clearance bolt that hangs off the bottom of the footpeg to drag on the road when you corner hard however drove itself into her ankle and made a mess. That bolt actually snapped off the peg from landing on her ankle.

She now owns the toughest pair of boots we could find and to her credit she still rides.

Your ankles are more essential than your arms even. They are at incredible risk of impact damage. Look after them by wearing proper boots.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. My girlfriend had a stationary fall on her little bike wearing sneakers. The only injury was a very badly sprained ankle but there was significant ligament damage and we're still helping her to recover, more than 5 months on...

So yeah, good shoes are pretty critical to avoiding injuries from low speed falls.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yup, don't do it!!

Had two minor mishaps (Both at very low speeds) and my riding boots saved my ankle both times. If not for the boots, the outcome may have been a bit scary.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ok Ok !!! It was a stupid question to ask in the first place. -- riding shoes all the time. Promise. Those tcx x-streets do seem good, i might give them a go :)
  13. Only stupid question is the one you don't ask. At the end of the day it comes down to what risk you're willing to take.

For some, throwing a leg over a motorcycle at all is too big a risk.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Totally agree,

Nobody said you are stupid for asking, it's just better to learn from other people's mistakes than try to make them all yourself.
  15. I've been wearing motorcycle boots for eva, until the zip #%#}{{#%%!!!. So whilst awaiting repair, l've been wearing my work lace up boots. Hiked the Milford in them, so comfortable, but worked out from riding that they feel even better when I use all lace holes, rather than all but the last. So far, no lace hookups, but will feel more sure when I get my riding boots back. I use dubbin to waterproof them, and polish to keep them supple, dubbin attracts dust, but is fine. They look like shoes under pants.
  16. FWIW, I still wear non-riding shoes on occasion... each to their own.
  17. I've had some so-called 'riding' footwear fall apart alarmingly easily (off the bike, fortunately). Check carefully before trusting.
  18. I have had the Fly Racing M21 and the TCX X-Street riding shoes. They were too rigid for daily use IMO. I now use a pair of Bates GX8 military boots. And I've had two offs in them (T-boned in a roundabout for one, and downed on tram tracks for two). My ankles have been sore but fine both times. However if I'm going for a burn in the twisties I put on a pair of A* SMX5.

Mileage may vary.