Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding position questions on a Honda VTR250

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ptb, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

Please forgive the n00b-ish questions, for that is what I am.

I've bought a Honda VTR250 and would like to know the correct position to sit and ride on it.

Am I meant to sit back in the seat and lean on the fuel tank? I'm finding it difficult to sufficiently relax my arms rather than using them to help brace me, which I think is a bad thing.

I'm 5'9 if that's any help.
  2. http://cycle-ergo.com/ is kinda cool. It suggests a mainly upright position. Which makes sense since the VTR250 is a naked.
  3. sit close to the tank,
    with the arms relaxed and wrists pelow the bars.
    knees gripping and the feet with toes pointing a bit out, so they dont hit the levers when cornering.

or in the case of my vtr
    hump the tank.
  4. Support your weight using the core of your body, that takes weight off the arms, reduces pressure on the wrists and allows the bike to track properly over bumps :)

When braking, squeeze the tank with your knees.

Balls of the feet on the pegs when cornering. May as well get into good habits now.
  6. been looking for a user title for a while,
    this should work:)

oh and OP incase you havent realised,
    have a look at my profile pic (click my username). as you can see my bars are alot lower then standard, and further forward.
    making it look (as descirbed by the guy and gals at the satdy morning learners session) like im humping the tank