Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

riding over cattle grids

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by gibbler, Nov 10, 2007.

1. never ridden over one, any special techniques? slow, fast, weight on pegs?.... thinking of a Alice run and am aware of the numerous grids north of Pt Augusta... road bike loaded up pretty well....

2. *shrugs* dont stop on one and try are put your side stand down?? other than that, dont turn and dont apply too much brakes. take extra care if its wet.
  3. If you can stand up on the pegs do it, other than that, front wheel straight ahead and gun it.

One thing to remember, I've seen a couple of grids joined in the middle - and there has been a gap where a skinny front tyre could end up, so now I make it a habit to aim for the left side of them.
  4. my high school that i went to had two sets of cattle grids that you had to go over to get the parking area. the fully sickers went slow, and well thats wrong.

the quicker you go the better. well not too quick :LOL:
  5. ride straight through them.
    by straight, i mean perpendicular to the rungs of the grid, do not attempt to turn, i should know :LOL: was pillioning my sister to the school bus stop and the grid was on the entrance to a property where we parked our bikes whilst we went to school (was a 6-7km ride every morning to the school bus, even in -9c :shock: ) and i went around the corner still with a little lean, and we both went down, and very fast! :rofl:
    ahhh, memories!
  6. If they are on a slight vertical radius, bunny hop them ! :grin:
  7. :shock: haha i'd go that! :LOL:
  8. Or look for a ramp and just jump the bastard :D
  9. The amount of jolting/shudder you receive depends on the spacing of the bars in the grid and your road speed. Vary your speed to find the least resistance/shudder, but you might find not all the grids use the same bar spacing. :-(

As the others say, remain vertical and don't try to accelerate or brake while on them. Standing on the pegs is not necessary once you get the speed right - after all, unless you are travelling at warp speed you will be unable to clear them in one go. ;-)

Trevor G
  10. Every grid is fine, it's getting on and off the suckers that can change dramatically. There's often washouts and half protruding sleepers and the like at the start and finish. Talking about dirt roads here, not the nicely manicured tarmac ones.

No lean angle going over them, especially in the rain or early morning/night.
  11. slow down!

one of my testies is still MIA after that trip
  12. Wheelie the start of them, and then land the front wheel on the other side and rolling stoppy to get the back over it. :LOL:
  13. Standing on the pegs is a dirt bike tactic and it works well if you're prepared for the shudder as you cross the grid. However, if your a road rider I suggest you sit on the seat and grip with your knees. You need to keep your relaxed grip on the bars and this will stop your grip on the bars gettiing too firm.

1. Approach grid at a perpendicular angle to the bars (this will be easy as the grids are carefully placed perpendicular across the road anyway).

2. Pop into 2nd gear, grip with your knees and relax

3. Coast over the grid (approx 15-20kph) without attempting to accelerate, brake or turn.

4. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

If you're not confident
    ; beside (or near) every cattle grid in the world is a gate. Famers use the gates to move the cattle (for obvious reasons). You can always open the gate and not worry about the grid. However if you choose this option, don't forget to shut the bloody gate.
  14. Seems a couple of grids I have encountered in my time must have been installed by the apprentices - the rungs have been parallel with the flow of traffic, rather than the usual orientation. Wasn't such an issue for me (was driving a ute at the time), but was certainly a very definite way for the property owner to say a loud "FU" to any dirt bikers coming along.
  15. Given the number of farmers that regularly use bikes to get around the farm, i'd day it's largely a case off "oops, wrong way" but yes, there are some anti-bike farmers out there (have met my fair share of them). The easy solution is to use the gate. :)