Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

riding on tram track

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by feriant, Sep 30, 2004.

1. hi guys, any tips for riding on road that share with the big green steely wheel tram?
    most of the time i found the tram track on the right lane(2 lane road) and left lane with all the parked car.
    so far i always ride on the left lane where little gap left between the parked car and the right lane but i just worry sometimes people never cautious enough when they get off the car... :?

2. In all seriousness I'd suggest searching for an alternate route.

3. Treat them with *lots* of respect. Always cross tram tracks at very sharp angles. **Never** ever cross a tram track at anything less than 10 degree's - to do so will almost certainly ensure you have both front and rear tyre on the steel track at the same time.

4. Seriously, I always tended to hardly worry about them, I paid all the attention to them in the wet but in the dry i just treated them with a fraction more caution than normal. Never had a problem with them at all.

It's not "the end" if your tyres touch them, just dont panic if you find yourself on them and slowly move off them. Start to yank the bars to try and get off them will most likley end in an "ouch".

5. When I ride on a road as you describe (daily...) I usually cross the first track (on as great an angle as possible as Mouth said), and travel between the two tram tracks. If I was coming up to do a right hand turn I would then cross the second tram track and ride between it and the white line as I approach the turn - and when I turn I turn quickly at first, straighten up over the tram tracks on the other side of the road, and then continue the turn after I cross them.

I sometimes feel a little slip when crossing the track (especially in the wet) but as long as you don't panic (as Vic said) you will cross without problems.

They are managable - just be aware that they are there.

6. From experience - DON'T PANIC!!!

I lost the bike when I was along the road with tram tracks when I saw a car coming towards me and tried to swerved. The front wheel got caught on the track and there goes the brand new spanking beemer.

Looking back I guess I should just keep my line. I think my reaction was due to me panicking.

jo.

7. Just treat them with a lot of respect in the wet. The first day I was on the road after getting my L's, it was raining and turned right into a road which was not running at right angles to the road I was turning from (which had the tram tracks)...I can tell you now, that was my first important lesson on the bike!!!! :?

I always ride in the middle of the tracks as it still gives you enough room to move if you need to, you just need to be aware of them if something does happen and factor them into any avoidance calculations.

The other thing about riding in the middle of the tracks is that you don't get as much of the oil line thing in the middle of lanes, cos cars drive offset to the tracks (ie. they don't drive with their wheels on the tracks either).

8. I ride on them everyday
    respect them as the others say , but dont be scared of them
    I like lil ride in between them , esp in the wet , as per all the advise as the others have said but here is two more tips

when riding parralell (spelling) with them and you have to move over one of the , dip the bike using your weight and the bike will lean to one side and as the bikes stands itself up (while its going the way you want) it will cross the track in a quick and nearly vertical position.
    it is hard to explain , but i hope it makes sense.

also on dry days , when there is very little traffic practise on them.
    crossing them side to side and becoming confident with them so when it is wet you can have your technique down pat.
    I used to do it each morning coming home from work to the point were i can now balance the bike on the track and ride on it and even light the rear tyre up on the track where it sits above the road .(NOW DONT GO AND DO THIS AS IT DOES GO WRONG EASILY)
    the point is practise on them and become confident and respect them also .

9. I remember some dood on a CBR400 doing exactly that Glen, we were headed for the toy run and on Swanston street he tried to light up the rear on the tracks and subsequently threw his bike into the side of an ambulance.

Silly silly stuff :)

10. Was he related to Marshy who launches his bike at Taxi's?

11. Sometimes you have to be careful if you ride in the small strip of ashphalt in the right lane with the tram track. I was riding through a school zone doing 40km/h as per the speed limit when a woman decided I was going too slow and over took me in the same lane just the other side of the left track. Scared the hell out of me especially since when you want to flick over the track you do it quite quickly and definately so you hit the track as perpendicular as possible. If I had of flicked over the track as she passed I would have gone down and possibly under her wheel. I took her to task when we both stopped at the lights and she entirely dismissed the danger of a 5cm gap while overtaking in my lane at 40+ km/h. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! And she didn't even realise it was a school zone!!! Double Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! but it just proves that she shouldn't have had a license in the first place.

But I digress.....

So I gernally tend to try and "own" my lane by riding in the middle of the tracks so the only way around me is in another lane.

Also be warey of crossing tram tracks at interections. The concrete base tends to be built up and can give you a decent jolt with the sudden change in gradient if you are heading up or down a incline.

Water on tram tracks or any kind of metal plate on the road means you HAVE to take extra care and slow down and put less gripping stress on your tires. Take it easy and treat them with the upmost respect and you will be fine. If you are worried then plan your routes so you avoid the tracks as muck as possible.

Also as per my story above, the tracks are not the only danger on the road so dont fixate on them and forget about the far more dangerous cagers.

I've also know someone that got caught out with the new middle of the road Tram stops they are building in the burbs. The road lane tends to merge tot he left and the tracks keep heading straight so you can get sqeezed into a corner, so to speak, if you ride in the middle of the tracks.

Tram tracks are part of the reason we are able to do Hook turns at the more hectic intersections in the city. I'd see hook turns as a positive to motorbikes because you aren't vulnerable while stuck out in the right lane trying to turn right. So there is good and bad to it, but its part of riding in Melbourne and is entirely manageable, as Grobberts says develop some experience on them in the dry and then wet and always respect them but dont' fear them, then can smell fear! :LOL:

12. thanks heaps guyss!!