Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding on new tyres

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Nug-Nugget, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Hey all,

It will be time to pick up my new bike soon and I keep hearing about how slippery it is on new tyres. There are a couple of vids on youtube where people crash their bikes leaving dealerships, pretty funny but I don't want it to happen to me. I know there have been experienced riders who have been caught out by new tyres and I'm still a noob so I'm a little worried. It's winter too so it will be cold and possibly rainy on the day I pick up my bike. I'm going to be as careful as possible, and try to only accelerate and brake when the bike is pointing straight but I probably won't be able to do that all the way home. Is there any advice people can give me? What to be careful of? How many kms will the tyres stay slippery for? Thanks all.

2. probably want to take it easy for the first 150 - 200km or so just to play it safe. The other thing (and this may seem obvious) is that during the scrub in period, the more you lean, the more shiny, unscrubbed rubber you'll be using so keep that in mind when you first head out to the twisties - take the first few corners carefully and gradually lean rather then throw it into the corners till you've scrubbed the edges (or as close to) as well.

congratz on the new bike. what did you get?

3. Been there done that. Just take it easy for the first few kms. Viscera99 is spot-on

The first corner I took on new tyres after the bike was delivered was steep down hill, greasy patches, tight 90 deg. Rear snaked around like Casey Stoner at the end of a 320kmh straight (me doing probably 10kmh). Nearly dropped it. Shiny bike new bike, shiny new tyres.

After you've done just say 5km. Stop the bike, turn it off, get off and have a look at the tyres. I had a narrow matt strip in the middle with shiny rubber on the edges. Take those first tight corners real easy until you scrub more and more across the width.

It didn't take that long to get rid of the shine, I just took care every time I leaned over a little more for a corner. Wide sweeping urban bends are good, you can take them slowly at first then faster to get more lean and scrub more tyre.

On my "Zippy" branded tyres :rolleyes: there are 4 corners near home that worried me for the first few 100 km. One of those I thought had a greasy patch from cars when I first went around it after approx. 300km, but I've not had trouble since, so maybe the tyres do need around that distance to fully scrub up.

Never had any problems accelerating or stopping in a straight line. Managed to pop a few accidental monos on brand new tyres. Too much throttle & dropping the clutch. See that L plate?

To sum it up "Ride like a Noob". You'll soon feel when you've got the grip.

4. Thanks I'm getting a Street Triple R ABS. I'm not really sure how much leaning I do if at all. I take corners really slowly atm. Is it really THAT slippery? Would the tiniest wrong actions send you off the bike? Or is it more a case of not getting too cocky? I don't want to over worry because that will make my riding even worse. So far it just sounds like I should just ride like i normally do, careful and corner slowly. Do I need to avoid using the rear brakes to come to a stop or anything like that?

5. Go to the parking lot and do a figure of 8 for a half an hour (the longer the better). Tighten up the figure as you progress so that you progressively lean more and more.

That should very much scrub it in, quite safely.
    After that you should see very distinct "chicken strips".

Did just that yesterday after putting new rear tyre on.

6. #6 twistngo, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Just take it easy. The street triple is a well set up bike with linear throttle so there shouldn't be any dramas. Maybe pretend you're riding in the rain.
    If its got the rosso corsas they are pretty good new, probably feel better than what you had on your old bike. Farkin amazing when you scrub them in a bit.
    Congrats on the bike. You'll love it. Do a course to get the best out it as it rewards good riding.

7. Does washing them down with degreaser help? I've heard it does, but I wonder if anyone else has tried it.

8. I'll let someone else answer you.....best I do as you won't like my response

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Whoops may have over stated it a bit. My first corner was brand new bike I'd never ridden, first corner ever on it, 200m from home. Could feel the tyre moving a bit.

I did feel I had more grip in the rain, which was probably after 300km of riding.
    No knowledge on that, stuff all experience on bikes too. I thought the rubber was smooth from the mould, but if they used a release agent, then there may have be something slippery on it still.

10. Just doing the same thing on my new bike as well. The issue is a siliconised releasing agent that takes around 100km to wear on your main tread strip. The issue is turning and excessive throttle (for wheelspin). As long as you are not doing fast high speed corners and are cautious especially on wet/greasy roads you should be fine.

I would be a little cautious with a new bike as a newbie if its wet as the tires may be less of a problem than familiarising yourself with the controls and throttle (assuming you have come off a less powerful bike?).

Would just wait until it is dry to pick it up.

Cheers Spocky

11. If your picking up the bike new from a dealer cleaning the tyre wont happen.
    Just take it easy. Easy on the throttle and easy on the turns for the 1st 100K or so. Give the tyre a chance to warm up as well as scrubbing the shinny stuff off. You will find that after 30 mins you will have scrubbed enough on jus commuting to give yourself a little more confidence.

12. Ok thanks guys. I think I'm being too paranoid. My only ever intention was to ride it nice and sensibly for the first 1000kms anyway so I hope I'll be right. No plans on having much fun on it til I get to know it better :D

13. lol, c'mon give us your thoughts. I saw someone post this idea once, and have kept it in the memory bank.

Guys in motorsport don't seem to suffer the same problem once they warm their tyres up, so it is just the harder street compound?

14. He he funny bugger :)

15. Yes it helps lots - this is the accepted "best practice" way to scrub tyres.

Ridding on them is incidental to the process.

16. Get on a straight gravel road and flog it, won't take long to scrub it in

17. Have a look at the vin and see how old they are.
    Fig 8's are brilliant and a nice way to get to know mr new bike. Back brake will smell like a burnt clutch in about six fig 8's if your as hard on it as me on a new bike. OEM brake fluid sucks big time anyway for sporties and recommend changing it to a decent high temp one on first service.
    If it goes...the back brake just chill for five then pump it. It should come back, if not give it another five and it will. I've boiled plenty and it's not a biggy on the back brake.
    And then get some real heat in it by braking. A proddy aint gunna have the grunt to get it in acceleration. so yeah about four of five good hard braking sessions to get the tyre up to temp and through a couple of heat cycles.
    The fig 8's should have already worked the rear well so we mainly are looking at the front here.
    And common sense would tell you to take it easy the first few corners to get a feel for the new tyres and bike. try to stay light on the controls and feel it.

18. There goes Bretto......being "all sensible" with "real advice" :D

Sheesh.

19. Isn't that what the OP'er wanted?

@twistngo - the Rosso's felt good but the Metlzer M5's feel far superior (more planted in the twisties).

20. If you can mange a few donuts on a gravel road on each side, that will fix the back quickly and simply. The front, unfortunately has to be done by either the parking lot method, or just being careful and progressive with how far you push it. Deep, coarse gravel seems to "take the shine off" more effectively than bitumen.