Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding on Aussie P plates overseas ...?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ac17, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Hi all - does anyone know what the deal is with riding overseas on P plates?

I have a Provisional licence.

A mate and I want to buy bikes (maybe in Malaysia) and ride to the UK.

Is this ok to do if I am on P plates, or do I need a full licence?

Will I have probs getting travel insurance, or if pulled over, or at boarder crossings for instance with me - a P plater - trying to get a Carnet for a bike?

Anyone know?

(I know I could just give it a go - hell Ive ridden in Thailand without a licence or a helment - but given it`s such a long journey, I`d prefer to know I was doing the right thing. I don`t want any unecessary probs)
  2. u need to get an international licence from RACV, im not sure if there will be restrictions placed on that tho... call RACV?
  3. go to nrma and you can purchase an international lics that is valid for 1 yr.
    i got one and it was 50 bucks. Give them a buzz i cant see it being a problem.
  4. Probably depends on how pedantic the local government would be.

An international license isn't actually the license -- it's just a legal translation for the document. (Hence you have to still carry the Aus license with you)

If some local law enforcement says that you're on provisional in Aus so that same type of provision will apply in their land, so be it.

Unlikely that'll happen, but just to give you an idea, I think I recall reading somewhere that if you're driving in Aus on a foreign license, the restrictions that's on your foreign license applies here as well -- I don't know how well that's enforced though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. You are correct on all points. In effect, it will be easy at first but get progressively more difficult the closer you get to Europe. Many Asian officials will simply require the payment of a "fine", if they notice the condition at all. But sooner or later you will get to one that can't be bribed.
    Just ride a 250.
  6. Like dodging bullets in afganistan (your half way point between Malasia and the UK)
  7. i dunno ive heard they are pretty corrupt in malaysia. perhaps like dodging bullets in ... texas
  8. how does an idp work

International Driving Permits (IDPs) entitle the holder to drive motor vehicles specified in the IDP and in all counteracting countries without further examination.

Your IDP carries your identification details in nine languages (English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic, Swedish and French), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.

An IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue unless the holder's domestic driving licence expires or is revoked in the meantime. IDP's cannot be post dated under any circumstances.

It in no way diminishes the obligation of the holder to conform strictly to the laws and regulation relating to residence or the exercise of a profession which are in force in each country visited.

A person may apply for a further permit. Such applications must be accompanied by the applicant's current Australian Driving Licence or photocopy of, and a passport size photograph colour or black and white (photocopy/facsimile not acceptable) and the fee applicable at the time.

special notes:

* IDPs may NOT be issued to persons under 18 years of age regardless of whether they hold a national driving licence. In addition, IDPs cannot be issued to holders of Learner Permits Licences or other limited/restricted use licences, issued under the directive of a State Court of Law.
    * IDP's can be issued to External Territory licence holders from Norfolk Island, Christmas Island and Cocos Keeling Islands.
    * There is no upper age limit for the use of IDPs.