Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding music....pick your poison

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Barters81, Oct 28, 2015.

1. So, there hasn't been a thread on this for a while and there is probably a bunch of newer members here who didn't get a chance to contribute to the last thread (in 2005/6?).

I've recently started listening to music while riding and am absolutely loving it. I was originally one of these people who'd harp on about how you're losing one of your senses and how dangerous it must be. The word to note there is how dangerous it MUST be, cause I'd say most who have that opinion probably have never tried it before.

I tried it, and love it.

I find I can still hear my engine note fine. I've never relied on hearing vehicles approaching and always thought that you should be seeing something long before you hear it when it comes to cars. I'll hear the odd Harley rumbling from way back on occasion though.

I find that I'm actually more switched on visually, have less fatigue (mind you I've only just started doing this) and have more fun.

But.......that really isn't what this thread is about I want to know what sort of music you guys listen to while riding. Any particular genres or artists?

Last night I made up a hip hop playlist to end all hip hop playlists of which I listened to on the way to work. Had a little chuckle as the traffic started to get nasty and 1,2,3 comes on from Naughty by Nature....then a raft of Biggie Smalls songs about murdering people.......

Yesterday I realized I shouldn't be riding a motorcycle when 'You could be mine' came on by the Gunners.

I can see some Double J digital radio on my horizon too.

2. I do the same ..

My music tastes vary quite a lot so i tend to have a mixed bag of random stuff i throw into the ipod.

Currently i have a mixture of things ranging from Bell Biv Devoe, Boys Don't Cry, Breakfast Club, C&C Music Factory, Chaka Khan, Digital Underground, Earth Wind & Fire, Fort Minor, Hilltop Hoods, Johnny Gill, Kurtis Blow, NWA & Eazy E, P.O.D., Pseudo Echo, Queen Latifa, Roxette, Scribe, War and Wreckx N Effect.

And thats cos it's a Wednesday... Thursday might be a Stock Aitken Waterman grab bag :whistle:

Peace
    Juz

3. Mariah Carey, MC Hammer, Celine Dion, Steps.......you know, all the hard stuff.

Skrillex, G'n'R, Alanis, Skid Row, Naughty by Nature, Clapton, Tonic...just a sample of what's on my riding playlist at the moment.

It all depends what kind of riding I'm doing. I actually find mountain runs are better with calming music. Bangarang tends to work me up a little bit too much going up Nebo.

4. I've been riding with music for up to close to a year, never had one problem with hearing other cars or anything else of the nature. But i do always ride with just one in my ear. If i'm riding something like the black spur and going very hard i ride with no music so i can concentrate 120%.

Otherwise I'm always banging 80's, Euro-Dance, Rap/Hip-hop.

5. Mine are smashing pumpkins, Metallica, korn, limp bizkit, Damien rice, evanescence, Dave Matthews band just to name a few. About to change it up a bit and put some linken Park and others maybe some nine inch nails.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good mix you've got there (except Dave Matthews - can't get into his music).

7. #7 Bee, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Depending on my mood ..Classical music .. from Mozart, Bach etc ..:D

8. I always ride with music, commute with music, have done for a long time now.
    I have built up a great Pandora Station, can go about 6 to 7 hours without an add now, if you don't skip anything!

9. i like to start a ride through the twistys with Lonely Boy - The Black Keys and then keep the playlist going with music of the same tempo and mellow vibe with some Arctic Monkeys (R U Mine is another good track for this sort of ride).

Also my tastes seem to depend on my mood and type of ride I'm going on.
    A few tracks you should check out:
    I Will Not Bow - Breaking Benjamin
    No Giving Up - Crossfade
    I'm The One - Seether
    Drift & Die - Puddle of Mudd
    Never Change - Puddle of Mudd
    Freestyler - Bombfunk MC's
    The Distance - Cake
    Butterfly - Crazytown
    Drive - Incubus
    All Day/All Night - The Kinks
    Smooth - Santana
    Wheels - Foo Fighters
    The Pretender - Foo Fighters

If you put all these songs into a playlist should last you for a decent 40 mins:singing:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ach, I really must stop coming here, I don't need any more reminders of how old I am.

So far, in this thread, these are the only two tracks I have ever heard of...... :-(

I used to ride with music in my ears when I was going a long trip.... mostly The Who, but I have given up on it.

Magic Bus and Won't be fooled again tended to get me into too much trouble.

11. Come on CrazyCamCrazyCam you're not that old, next you be telling us that this was your set up for your tunes :whistle:
    radio.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Close, Andrew.... very close.

Who else remembers Mini-Discs?

13. Mini discs? That's not that old. I had a sweet mini-disc player at one point.

I'm a big fan of 60's and 70's rock normally, but find it's not the sort of music I want to listen to while riding.

Managed to finally get my hands on Dr Dre's latest work, Compton which I listened to this morning. Interesting. Will need to give it a few more listens before I make a call as to whether its better than the classic that is Chronic.

I like to try and glean something from any type of music. I hate generic pop, but as a musician it is important to understand why it is successful so I listen to it to try and glean some enjoyment. The word being 'try'..........the latest songs spewed out by Bieber that my wife and kids listen to is simply terrible, lifeless soul draining crap.

14. I usually listen to the radio. I like a station with lots of music but find the talking can be a good distraction when in traffic. Especially if there talking about something interesting like football :) Adverts are always a problem but I seldom ride during high add rotations like during breakfast and drive

15. Double J is your friend. No ads, just awesome music 90% of the time. Seriously, it's the best station around.....just get the ABC app on your phone and you're away.

16. Mostly podcasts for me, but when it's time for tunes it's classic 80's thrash metal. Either that or the radio - it's sad that the golden oldies station plays all of the stuff I grew up with!

17. My shortest ride is my half hour commute along country roads, and other rides tend to be 4+ hours. I like prob-rock for these types of rides. Particularly Pink Floyd, but also some newer and more obscure bands in the genre, The Future Kings of England, and Nemrud. I also like a bit of Eloy, for some kraut rock influence, even though the accent does my head in at times.

If I am in the mood for shorter songs, then Who, Linkin Park, Offspring and Metallica get a bit of a run.

18. GekuLGekuL - thank you... Lonely Boy - great track to start an assault on some twisties! Dun da da da, da dun da da da da....(ok needs hearing, real loud). Will try this next time I head somewhere appropriate - oh that'd be tomorrow :D

19. Lots of comedy podcasts, but if it's music it's shuffle, with lots of bands. Lots of metal for me, most of it pretty extreme.

20. I don't listen to music when I'm riding unless I'm riding long distance, then it's podcasts for me.