Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding Multi-lane roads

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by scooter, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Interested to know the philosophy of others when it comes to riding multi-lane roads.
    Personally I'm on a mission myself, never travelling with the flow of the traffic always a few Kmh faster and trying not to sit next to another vehicle so to speak.
    I hate being in the left hand lane and having a vehicle on my right so I always try to be on the drivers side of any vehicle whenever it is possible.

Trucks , stay nowhere near the bastards and that goes for tradesmans vans as well, they wont see you and will lane cut right over top of you.

Speeding on multi-lane roads is not an option it is a necessity, if you want to stay out of an emergency ward.

2. Couldn't agree more. Best to not be there if someone pulls out. Its the pricks who actually point their cars (usually BMW's) at 45 degrees and career across 2 lanes that you have to be really alert for. Riding a multilaned road is a world apart from driving on them. In a car you just mentally switch off, but on a bike it takes so much more concentration.
  3. its like playing a game of hard core chequers.
  4. So do you cruise in the left wheel track of the right lane or the right wheel track of the left lane? H0ow ddoes one balance this between riding too close to the gutter an dmaking it harder to be seen, Vs being too close to other cars?