Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding/living near the beach and salt air cleaning

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by ButterSanger, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hi, Just wanting to know what peoples thoughts are on cleaning their bike of salt air if you live near or ride near the beach regularly? How often do you recommend washing it and what with? I have recently purchased a very clean looking bike, id like it to stay that way. I live and ride near the beach. Is hosing it of once a month and making sure its polished enough?
    Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

2. It would depend on how often you use it and how it is stored. If it's used regularly and stored in and open area, I would wash it correctly with a good ph nutural car wash and weekly. If it's not used often and kept in a closed area I'd still probably do it every fortnight. Just a rinse wont get dried salt deposits off.

3. Get a gallon of old sump oil and a garden sprayer. Fill the latter with the former and point it at the bike for long enough to get a uniform coating over everything. If you're some sort of white-collar wuss you can put plastic baggs over any bits like the seat and hand controls. Wipe the light lenses clean. [Edit: Oh yeah, probably best keep the oil off the brakes too. Unless you own an MZ, a Harley or a mid-70s Jap, in which case you may notice a slight improvement in braking performance :D].

You can now ride your bike through salt water, acid rain, festering roadkill and any other corrosive environment you care to name and, under the resultant layer of gack, your shiny bits will remain shiny and untouched by oxidation. As a bonus, no-one will ever steal your bike, nor will small children climb upon it.

Or you could wash and polish it weekly, as suggested, but where's the fun in that? :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. semi-off topic, but went to look at a 07 cruiser around the summer of 2010/2011 lived on the coast, right behind the sand dunes next to the beach. it was sooooooo rusty in comparison to the same model of the same year that was in the city. i assume it was kept inside his (old wooden) garage, but yeah, was surprised at the difference.

5. i live near the beach and ride sometimes.

rinse it off after the bike has cooled down most rides.
    the corrosion comes when the wet (salty) parts are left to dry.
    i haven't had corrosion because bike is garaged.
    SAND is your major concern, clean it off the bike.
    SAND will chew up your chain in no time flat.
    whenever the chain gets sand on it, you must get it all off
    cheapo degreaser works a treat, rinse it off, dry off the chain with short gentle ride
    then re-lube her up