Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding LAMS bikes if you don't have to

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by CrazyCam, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Hi folks.

So often I see the threads here about upgrading from LAMS bikes and how mean it is that L and P platers are stuck with such pathetic machinery, and I wonder if I am the only one around here who rides a LAMS motorbike (and a scooter,too) who admits to enjoying the riding, even though I don't have to.

Rats......

I had hoped to be able to start up a poll, but...... it hasn't happened. :-(

The intended options were:-

I ride a LAMS motorbike, or scooter, because I enjoy it, and don't actually HAVE to ride one 'cos I have a full licence.

I ride a LAMS bike or scooter, because I have to, but as soon as I can, I'll get a bigger, faster machine.

I'd rather eat worms than be seen riding a LAMS machine.

Anyhow, I'd love to know what I did wrong to not be able to set up poll, and I'd also love to see anyone's answers to the questions.

Please let me know that I am not the only sick person who enjoys riding wee motorbikes.

2. Ride what you like and like what you ride !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Absolutely, Rennsport, it's just I have see too many learners struggling with the biggest LAMS machine they are allowed (or sometimes the fastest) and they all can't wait to get a "real" bike.

4. Not a bad topic, can see some interesting discussion.

I'm not really an experienced rider - about 25 000 km of mostly day trips finding twisties on a ninja 250, but I'm still having fun on it. my restrictions will be ending soon, and it might also mean trips with a pillion regularly, so I might be looking for a bigger bike in six months, but really don't know for sure.

whats funny, is that looking back I kept thinking I wanted a bike that I wouldn't outgrow in a hurry, given that how quickly one can navigate a twisty road is so heavily rider skill related than bike performance and that I had it a bit backwards by thinking the bike made the rider.

I think the 'upgrade' mentality is partly because the sense of freedom of getting on the bike riding, but only if you ride a bike that somebody approves for you for the first little while, and people resent being told what to do, so are keen to 'graduate' to the real motorcycling experience ASAP. Its also because of this idea that if you're still on your LAMS steed it flags you as a lesser rider in some respects.

The other side is that learner motorcyclists have a bigger initial cost, for training and gear, so price point is a bigger deal for these bikes so components are often not as high spec, leaving many on a 'little' LAMS bike with a big case of bike-envy, which motivates the upgrade mentality, too.

Not saying that non LAMS bikes aren't good or fun.

You could just as easily ask why people line up around the block for the latest iteration of an apple gadget when their current device is perfectly adequate - people like whats considered to be the shiniest of any given thing.

• Like Like x 6
  5. LAMS bikes are awesome fun, I'm not above riding them at all, even at the track

6. Peppy, said:-
    "You could just as easily ask why people line up around the block for the latest iteration of an apple gadget when their current device is perfectly adequate - people like whats considered to be the shiniest of any given thing."

You're right... I'd love to know why folk queue up for the latest apple stuff, but the older I get, the less that the world makes any sense to me.

Fortunately for me, I have religious objections to an apple product....excluding cider, of course! =D

• Like Like x 1
  7. i loved my old er6n lams bike if it wasn't for my size i would not have upgraded to a 1000cc

8. Ah, right....

...and this was because of your height?

..or weight?

...or what?

• Like Like x 1
  9. height I'm 6ft 5

10. I look at Bikesales everyday but when it all boils down the CB does pretty much all I want and while I ponder the idea often I may never upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I had wondered to my self whether I'd ever get of the 250. Thinking about it, probably not. It's a great daily commuter to and from work, and to get around to the shops hassle free. Low maintenance, cheap rego, cheap insurance, cheap on fuel, less likely to get stolen.

The big bike will be great for all the other rides, especially those rides where the ride is for the ride.
    It's good to have a bike at either end of the spectrum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Great topic.
    I started on a 2002 CB250 and commuted 400k a week for a year until I got off my Ps ("mature" rider). The only issue I had with it was in the rain it was pretty sloppy at cornering (probably my skill level also).
    I decided to "upgrade"to a bigger bike only because I wanted more grunt for the commute and also more power up the rev range. I have actually found the bigger bike much safer to ride (skills have improved sure) - I have more presence on the road, the bike holds the road much much better in the wet and best of all.....wife loves it too !

The only "shock" I had was my weekly fuel bill went from $22 to $38 ! Still cheaper than a MyBus 3 though !

I almost bought a CB400 - great looking bike. But I felt quite expensive (and the Bike shop wouldn't let me test ride it...!)

13. I currently own a VFR1200 and a BeeWee 125.

I don't take motorcycling to seriously, and it is hilarious the disdain I get from other riders when on the scooter.

Same bit of road same guy, Only I'm on the Viffer and their nodding at me Like a fcuking bobble head.

I think a lot of the stigma behind LAMS is riders think a bigger bike will make them a better rider.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Still miss my VTR250.

Really made me work for the reward.

I'd own another in a heartbeat.

15. I occasionally ride my wife's 250 scooter and its fun. Pin it and don't dare roll off sort of fun. Not quite but I have to be very smooth and get the lines right to go quickly and I enjoy the challenge. Overtaking is interesting.
    Also ride a little Honda Lead around town. Top speed 70k down hill with a tailwind. Again, smoothness is the key.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. I know I have a lot more to learn..but I feel I've done my time in the LAMS prison. I'd upgrade to a unrestricted bike if my finances (and wife) would allow.

17. LAMS bikes means not having to just make do.

18. Still got my GS500F. Trip meter right now is 390km since fill up and am yet to go to reserve. Plus, pull revs to 7000 at the lights and leave all the traffic behind. Yes, I would like an upgrade, but I really don't need to. Like Mcsenna, if I see the right bike at the right price, I will look at it.
    I know it doesn't have the grunt, but do I need more grunt?

19. I enjoy riding my bike but I'd want to get a bigger one because the 125 requires so much effort to accelerate. It's a naked bike but I'd love something sporty. Just a personal preference. But I really have limited options being 5 foot tall. I enjoyed my scooter (Piaggio Zip 100) before I sold it and switched to a manual license.

20. I'm an older bloke and I find this discussion fascinating. When I started riding, many of the current LAMS bikes would have been amongst the largest bikes available. A 750cc bike was seriously big. The Kawasaki Z1 at 900cc was a game changer and a big capacity increase on other large bikes. The CB750 in-line 4 was the biggest bike Honda offered.

I started on a 175cc bike, and went a long way on it. A 500, 650 or 750 was beyond my wildest dreams of power, performance and price. Nowadays bikes are bigger, but a 750 or a 650 is still a reasonable capacity bike and a whole lot of fun.

I don't know what the fuss is about. If you're riding in the city, a 250cc bike is a good option. It's quick compared to most cars; light; easy on fuel; and easy to manage. If you want to do serious touring or road riding, maybe you need something bigger.

And, yes, I now have a biggish bike (an 1100). I could say do lots of road riding over distance, but really it's a monster indulgence. And I love it!

But I'd rather be stuck with a LAMS bike than no bike at all.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1