Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

riding jacket

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by kransky.dan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. hey all,
    looking at riding jackets and was just wondering if the armor on the back is really worth it.
    was looking at peter stevens website and they have the avg Saber for $300 which is leather and armor on the shoulders and the elbows, but the alpine star has the option for back armor. Is it worth the extra +$300???

2. Get the jacket that feels right. The back armours are usually POS foam krap and serve a minimal purpose in saftey. I'm sure you can insert a back armour (or protector) into the AGV as well - jus go for the agv if it feels better (to you & the wallet).
  3. Best back armour is a seperate protector which is worn under the
    jacket like a backpack.

IMHO Alpine Star charge too much money for their brand name.
  4. Probably better off spending the money on a proper back protector.
  5. Buy a back protector on from the shop for 100 bucks or eBay for 50 bucks. It's transferrable from jacket to jacket and is alot more effective than jacket padded armour.
  6. I'd be getting separate back protector if I was you.
    Something like the Axo ones etc., rather than relying on the thin pad that most jackets come with in the back.
  7. What about good back protectors that fit into the jacket in place of the crappy foam inserts?
  8. I don't think there are any. The slot in the jacket is only intended for small foam armour.

Get an armadillo-type back protector. It'll make you feel alot better too.