Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in wet weather - any tips?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by I Adore Vic, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hey all.. I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before but the search function isn't working atm and I'd really like to get out there and give riding a try in today's wet weather....plus I'm loathe to drive to work!!! :LOL:

Anyway...does anyone have any tips/do's/don't's for riding in wet weather? The L plater manual has some info but I thought I'd check here too.

Braking? Turning? Accelerating? What to avoid? etc etc...

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

2. Be SMOOOTH with everything, go slower with less lean, avoid painted parts of teh road, leave a bigger gap, don't pull up in the oil at intersections and make sure you have good wet weather gear, or use today to find out you don't!
    And make sure your visor is clean before you go out.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Ditto to everything Andrew said, wise words.

I can only add, put your wet-weather gear on when it STARTS to rain, not when you realise it isn't going to stop :LOL:

And watch out for tram tracks, try always to cross them at right angles if possible.....
  4. I think Mordeth13 had a video on youtube about wet weather riding.. great tips there. Do a search in youtube.

Having said that, nearly drop at a corner today... too wet and slippery and I think I lean too much..
  5. In your case you are'nt likely to have too many probs with traction under power (although be careful)...So most of your potential probs will occurr during braking. Sqeeeeze the lever and brake progressively.
    And n the whole...avoid any sudden inputs...:)
  6. Thanks all.

As for wet weather gear - I'm getting some this morning from the local bike dealership. :)

Hornet600 - No tram tracks down this way. :)
  7. yep smooth is the answer to wet weather riding..... one thing to consider is how long it has been since the last rain too, as if it has been raining for days alot of the oils fuels etc... are washed off the roads, if it just rains once off after a long dry spell, like today it's the first day alot of oils etc.. won't have been washed away yet....

For me, i prefer to be riding while it is pouring down rain, and no just passsing showers... as a passing shower just makes is slippery but generally doesn't wash all the crap of it.

Also try and ride in the car wheel tracks as opposed to riding in the centre of the lane, as it's less likely to have oil there....

Have fun and may see you sunday

Cheers stewy
  8. +1 on all the guys have already said. According to the literature it is suggested that you pull over for around 15 minutes at the first rain after a dry spell. to let the rubber dirt and oil wash off. You have to make your own call. avoid or at least be more aware of metal road joiners (particularly on curves) and the infamous white paint.
    Good Luck
  9. take the edge off everything - acceleration, speed, braking , distance, indication, cornering.

Ride with confidence, but also with comfort, you got nothing to prove to anyone except yourself.

TRUST YOUR TYRES ! They should be made for grip in both the wet & dry
  10. I rode today to work, first time with rain/wet roads, and tram tracks are a bastard! unfortunately I have them nearly the whole way here (Except for Hoddle St)
  11. I have read/heard all this so many times, but I am still the biggest chicken on the road when it's wet... :eek:hno:

Doesn't phase me in the slightest when I'm in the cage... :driver:

I was so slow on the way to work today, that it was me who HELD THE TRAFFIC UP!!!!!!!! :oops: :p :oops:

I need to learn to trust my tyres, like Doonks says. :?
  12. Avoid too much rear-brake. Do everything gently and give yourself plenty of time.

Be prepared to flip up the visor a little to let some air in if it starts to fog up.

Keep an eye on your mirrors - stop between cars [almost start to filter at lights] if you feel some knob behind you is unaware it's raining and is following too close for conditions.
  13. Make sure u got new/decent rubbers on.

And generaly i watch the surface of the road to gauge how fast i can go. plays a big part. the rougher the road is the faster i go. If its smooth slow rite down your tyres arnt worth shit on a smooth wet road its just gravity keeping u vertical.

Watch out for indoor car parks that are polished to the shit house
  14. i had my first ride in the wet the other day. the mito doesnt spin the rear wheel on acceleration. im sure it would if you were stupid about it but i wasnt being stupid... as for cornering, i found that i was just being VERY careful and it was alright. not leaning in too much and just generally taking it easy. in a straight line i could ride 'like' the dry, as in acceleration wise not braking, just avoiding deeper puddles so it didnt aqua plane.

yeah good luck with rain riding. i just take it easy and it worked out good. remember better arriving 5 mins late than ending up 6ft under.

15. im chicken in the rain - ill putt putt around cnrs
  16. For all you riders that are a little afraid of the rain - don't be. :)

Honestly...rain riding requires nothing special from you. You ride the bike exactly the same way, EXCEPT that you increase your safety margins in ALL things. That's the major difference to dry riding.

In one sense I find commuter riding in the rain "safer", because the traffic is usally jammed up, and cars are travelling at lower speeds because of that. And there are usually big lines of traffic at the lights, which allows you to get to the head of the line and pass alot of other cars in the process.
    (better to pass them while they are stopped rather than when they are on the move) :)

So...just ride...keep yourself relaxed and don't tense up. Your Bike (if it's in good condition) is pretty good at going along safely in the wet. It's a good time to extend your senses and learn to "feel" what your bike is doing underneath you.
    Stay away from, and ride within your own limits - if you push things and it all goes wrong, there is a vastly greater chance of hurting yourself, compared to dry weather conditions.
  17. Do be aware that it takes extra time to warm your tyres up on a cold wet road. They'll stick ok once they're warm but wait a little longer to put too much trust in them.
  18. I agree with most of your post Raven, however people in cars tend to not take into account the extra stopping distance in the wet, they still speed etc.
  19. You must be kidding Scott, most people drive so slowly in the wet it drives me up the wall!
  20. Hey thanks all for the great advice. By the time I left the rain had stopped but the roads were still wet. Took it easy and all was sweet.

I didn't end up getting waterproofs...the local store don't have any womens stuff in there. I have to go to Dandenong tomorrow so I'll have a look at Peter Stevens and that other place while I'm there. :) I ended up just rugging up today - turtlenecks are the best invention ever....I own about 15 of them (all assorted colors :LOL: ) for sailing. Wore my draggins over my work pants...was warm as toast. :)

The biggest drama I actually had was with the wind! Damn living on the coast! And it'd come in gusts...damn foreshore vegetation!! ...so I'd be alright one second and then whoa!! the next. :LOL: