Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in tunnels

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Tony101, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Getting my L's with the view of riding to work. Part of my journey would be to travel through the M5 East tunnel (Sydney). I don't see many riders in there. Do you guy's avoid tunnels like this? Is it unsafe due to the confined space, is it the fumes or something else?

2. I don't know about Sydney, but the Melbourne tunnels are ok. The things I have against them are:
    * Sometimes get a sore throat from fumes
    * Have to be even more careful of visibility coz people are still adjusting their eyes to the darkness
    * Speed cameras discourage quick bursts to get out of potential trouble

I don't avoid it, but I prefer it not at peak time.

3. Apart from getting sore eyes, nose and throat, I like riding in tunnels.
    thats when the bike sounds bhe best. Espeacially with a good after market can. :)

4. Above all true - the M5 is the WORST tunnel in Sydney for bikers

The others - Eastern Distributor, Harbour, M2 are all fine - but the people who whinged about too many exhaust stacks on the M5 seemed to have won that battle.

I don't know about long term effects of riding in the M5 every day, but then again I'm a smoker :p

And definitely change your exahust - if you are goona cut some years off your life you may as well have a smile on your face doing it :cool: :LOL:

5. When you're on a twin with some nice aftermarkets...you ride through tunnels with a big grin...:) Worth it for the fumes etc..

6. The M5 is also bad for getting the bike hot.

The lack of ventilation and built up traffic mean the air there is often 15 degree above ambient.

Even when the traffic is moving the air tends to move with it. which means air cooled bikes are working in high heat with no cooling wind.

It's a weird feeling to be doing 80 km/hr and only be doing 10 km/hr through the air.

I've had real fears for my bike in there, comming home in summer. In the end I took to riding over the top through badwell park etc.

Now thankfully I don't work down there anymore.

7. The M5 is also bad for getting the bike hot.

The lack of ventilation and built up traffic mean the air there is often 15 degree above ambient.

Even when the traffic is moving the air tends to move with it. which means air cooled bikes are working in high heat with no cooling wind.

It's a weird feeling to be doing 80 km/hr and only be doing 10 km/hr through the air.

I've had real fears for my bike in there, comming home in summer. In the end I took to riding over the top through badwell park etc.

Now thankfully I don't work down there anymore.

8. I ride threw the M5 all the time ,its smells only when its really bumber to bumber and slow.

The BIG TIP ,is hold on tight as every now and again ,Like HALF way threw you get a wind blast ,and near the exits you get a wind blast.
    But now you know about it ,you will be fine even if your on your L's ,It just gets you buy suprise first time in.

9. Nah I enjoy riding through tunnels... I drop the bike back a gear and let those Yoshie pipes sing. :cool: :grin:

10. if you're worried about the heat on the bike have a switch that controls the cooling fans (provided that there is a cooling fan) installed.

My baby ninja's temp. would aways skyrocket in traffic. So I had one put in and if it gets past half way, flick the switch.

11. It's not really wide enough to split in there all the time too. particully if you get some arsole who decides he doesn't wan't you to get through.

12. If you have a fireblade and work graveyard hours - it should be a BLAST! literally! until the coppers decide to set up an ambush just for you though :(

13. Riding in tunnels is great with aftermarket pipes.

Peak hour can get a bit hairy at times though

14. Aftermarket cans + tunnel = mass enjoyment
    here in brisvegas there are few tunnels long enough to really enjoy :(

15. Its a weird sensation first go. You go from cool outside to a major temperature increase like instantly, Your doing 80 kays but the hot air on the outside of your legs is unbelievable, When you see the outside light reaching quick its amazing. Its as good as getting home infront of the airconditioner with a beer in your hands.

If you see traffic up ahead, do your best to not get caught up in it. ive only done this ride 15 or so times but police complain alot about headaches and dizziness when attending accidents in there. well thats what the paperss say anyway.

16. Pfff, they don't sing. They make hard, pounding love to the eardrums of all fortunate enough to be in the same tunnel.

17. And you know you love it Ktulu. ;)

18. Is fun when you have a Speed Triple with LOUD pipes!! :LOL: :grin: