Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the wrong gear? What will happen

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Zane Marx, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hey,

I've been wondering what happens to your motorcycle if you ride in the wrong gear for too long. Let me explain further. Lets say when you ride you change up to a higher gear very quicky and then stay in that higher gear for most of your riding, 5th or 6th, what damage can you expect to do to your engine/gearbox.

I know that this is a strick no no when you are breaking in a new engine. I dont know why but thats what I've been told. But is it a big deal on a fully broken in engine?

You often see people do this with their cars and especially with those that drive diesel cars.

I'm not 100% if this is in the right forum. Mods, please feel free to move it if you want.

Z.

2. After 212.345 kms it will spontaneously burst into flames!!

Seriously, you won't do any damage as long as you're not labouring the engine in 5/6th gears (or any gear for that matter). Eg don't try and go up a steep hill in 6th at 70 kph. As long as the speed is ok for the gear then no problem, and that would be different for every bike dependent on gearing, torque etc.

My 26km commute is mainly at 80 - 100kph and I'm in 5 or 6 most of the trip.

3. I've found sticking in top gear around 60km/h will give excellent fuel economy (i've recorded 3.5L/100km). As far as I'm aware, it reduces friction and reduces pumping/throttling losses. But its not much fun and doesn't work in traffic.

If I'm commuting at 80-100km/h, I'd be in sixth. If theres traffic, I might be in 4th or 5th.

4. In a higher gear you'll get better fuel economy but less throttle response if you need it suddenly. You won't hurt it using a high gear, but if you need more than 3/4 throttle to climb a hill/accelerate etc, then maybe you should change down a gear.

You have to 'do eet by feeel', especially on a Ducati with no red line. :LOL:

My bike redlines at 11,000 and runs a bit roughly at high throttle openings under 2,500. I generally keep it between 3,000 and 5,500 unless I'm in a hurry.