Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the wind

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by barts, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Hi, this might seem like a stupid question, but does anyone have troubles riding in the wind?

I notice that some streets feel like wind tunnels and even going around 60km/h I feel the wind pushing me around a bit and as a new rider and not used to it I get a bit uneasy.

I'm around the ton in weight on a VT250 and just feel like I'm being blown about. It is something that you get used to and not notice after a while?

2. I'm on my L's and I rode across a large bridge on my spada for the first time the other day and the strong cross winds scared the crap out of me. My friend told me that he still feels it quite a bit on his faired triumph daytona 675 and it's just something you get more comfortable with over time.

I remember driving in really strong winds in the country earlier this year and I could feel my car being blown all over the road. Has anyone ridden in winds so strong that they thought they could be blown over?
  3. Yeah, 'specially when you're touching cloth and no bogs for ages :LOL:

You do get used to it to a point - most riders IMHO rate wind as the weather they hate to ride in the most - remember to anticipate your surroundings i.e. trees/bushes/leaves blowing and perhaps consider riding in a higher gear in suburbia in case you need to accelerate or avoid sudden changes, like something being blown out on the road or to push you through the gust.
  4. You will get used to it. Some bikes and their riding positions help and some hinder. Keep plenty of space and relax. The bike will move around.
  5. South Coast trip made me learn how to ride in wind after going through some of those valleys, scared the crap out of me!

2 things. Buffering - stay on the side of the lane where the wind is coming from (so you aren't blown into a different lane).

And posture - hold bike tightly with legs but relax top half of body (including arms). Getting bum up and head down didn't have much effect for me until my head was basically on the tank hehe.
  6. My latest trick is to tuck in, grit my teeth and fight the fcuker to the death.

I always win :D
  7. crosswind is a shit!!

on a light 250 you'll get blown all over the place!!!
    same with a faired bike!

grip with your knees, relax the upper body and grip, try to anticipate, treat it like a game..........oh, and go and get a heavy naked :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  8. I have a light, 250, faired. haha!

I often find myself swaying all over the place, tis quite enjoyable once you get used to it.

Though, last sunday I think is was, I actually got off the freeway early because twice I was pushed into other peoples lanes by naughty winds.
  9. Let the bike move around underneath you, lean your body into the wind. When the bike gets blown about, try to keep your body where it was relative to the road, and as the bike leans away from the wind, it will want to self centre due to it now being on a slight lean.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Thanks for your help, and I'm glad I'm not the only one - I don't remeber the rifing school talking about it and thought maybe it was just me being sensitive to it.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when I go for a ride around and see if I can get more comfortable and as soon as I get my unrestricted licence I'll be down the bike shop to get a proper big bike!
  11. I finally went over the Westgate bridge yesterday and almost got blown off!!! but made it to the otherside... a little shakey but I DID IT!!!
  12. Barts, I hear ya! What I've found to be blustery to date doesn't really rate to some of those who have been around for a while. Gripping the tank definitely helps. Good luck with coping with it the right way.
  13. heya all,

Whats worse is when you get blown by the wind and a semi trailer is right next to you. :shock: (lucky I got brown undies on)
    My worse experience is when it was raining heavily and at the same time a strong gust of wind. I just slowed down and as what everyone's advise, stay low and go, go, go :)
    Not sure if this is true, but I got told that a semi can suck you in. Had anyone had that experience?
  14. If you look at the positive/negative air pressure profile along a vehicle and if you add the eddies (turbulence) then yes, it is possible to get sucked towards a semi.

I find the gusts from semis the worst on the freeway so go to the other side of the lane and pass them quickly. If they're going fast than me (limited to 100km/h my butt!) then stay as far away from them as possible.
  15. So it is true huh? thanks Go Team. I'll take your advise and remember it when I ride on highways. Truckies are great as well, they give you way and give my wave to go overtake them.
    What I hate most is riding behind taxi's they either to slow or just too slow. :evil:
  16. I've only had my "L"s for a week now and all my riding has been in strong winds, makes it bloody hard to learn in.
    But yeah l have just griped the bike with my knees, held on and smiled with gritted teeth.
  17. the cbr1kf is a fully, and i mean FULLY faired bike.

the wind (when it really howls) shoves it around like you wouldnt believe.
    the only solution i have found is to back off, whiteknuckle it and get through it.

i was going over bermagui bridge a few weeks back and a bullsh1t strong breeze blew me in to the other lane. in over 10 years riding that is the only time it has happened.

wind sucks, but you can deal with it.

think of it this way, the faster you are going when battling with the wind, the faster (and further) it will displace you from your lane. so if its bad, knock it down a bit and CRUISE
  18. Not necessarily Joel. Gioing faster brings the apparent wind further forward. If you are handy with vectors, draw a couple and see. As you go faster, the wind vector is less powerful relative to forward motion.
    However, teh buffeting can get worse, so from a comfort standpoint, faster may not be more comfortable.
    The GTR is also fully faired and is blessed with not so stiff forks, and is quite the handful in the wind, but as I said above, I sort of let it do it's thing within reason underneath me, and it straightens itself out.
    Still not as enjoyable as a calm day though.

Regards, Andrew.
  19. It was a bit windy on boxing day, having never ridden in the wind I know its a bit daunting at first but after 5-10 mins I got used to it.

Just remember, its like anything, if you put your head down, thats where your going!

Speeding up doesnt really help I tried that. If your in doubt, go under the speed limit and sit in the slow lane.