Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the wind

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wozza, Sep 26, 2009.

1. G'day all,

After riding home in the wind the other night (and nearly being blown off the road) it got me thinking, are there any tips for riding in the wind and preventing being blown off?

One thing i've found that seems to have an affect is gentle applying of rear brake seems to make the tire grip better?

2. Bad news...you are the only one that has experienced this, and there is nothing we can say to help you improve riding in the wind :wink:

Ooooorrr I might be lying and a search will tell you everything you need to know :D
  3. my apologies, i did do a search prior to posting but as usual using a keyword such as "wind" does tend to show some pretty useless posts/threads and i gave up and posted a thread figuring it wouldnt hurt.
  4. thanks morbo :) i had already read the links smee suggest but neither of the threads offered any tips for riding in strong wind, just how to park your bike and seemingly passing your L's. lol
  5. Apart from staying off the refried beans ...

Problems with sidewind is a common concern of new riders. . You need to relax, loosen your vice grip on the handlebars, allow your knees to 'just' grip the tank and carefully practice allowing your bike bike to lean into the wind. The more riding you do will improve your confidence and your ability to relax and 'go with the wind'. Sudden gusts can be a problem...they still give me some grief but with more experience I am improving.

Hope this helps
  6. I find just trying to to let the unstableness bother me too much and just counter-steer into the wind slightly on moderate-hard gusts but on the strong unexpected ones I just make sure that my knees are firmly squeezing the tank and i'm prepared for the unexpected. Hope that helps
  7. One piece of advice I learnt here is to point the windward knee into the wind, it causes the wind to cup into the bike and stabilises it a bit.
    I find this works as long as it isn’t exceedingly gusty (Like being in the wash of a big truck)
  8. You need to relax your grip on the bike - arms and knees.

Think of riding in the wind the same as riding a dirt/trail bike through rutted out rocky and log infested trails at speed. You dont sit, you stand. What this means - you dont make yourself part of the bike. You let the bike take the punishment.

Similar principles apply when riding in the wind. If you try to make yourself part of the bike, then you entire body adds to the mass and subsequently adds to the swinging and motion of the bike in the wind. Ride relaxed, that way you will be able to more quickly make small changes to counter the problem.

There is not golden rule, it just takes a little confidence, time and practise.

Good luck.
  9. ^^^ That's what I did on my GS500, Falcon. Worked a treat.
  10. Hi wozza i am also new to riding actually i was terrified of the wind as the first evening i went out a massive gush of wind nearly blew me off the bridge. did a google search later to find out ways and came accross this right up here which helped me a bit...

although i am pretty concious still about wind.. shouldn't be a problem coming into summer tho
  11. I ventured out on that windy Sunday in Sydney and got blown onto the breakdown lane twice. When I was fearing getting blown into oncoming traffic I called it a day!! :eek:hno:

Was really weird me wanting to go one way and the bike getting pushed another. Even while waiting at traffic lights the bike was getting really buffeted.

Will try out the tips mentioned here on the next blustery day :)
  12. Last Sunday was easily the worst wind I have ever ridden in and thats for the last 30 years,its been bad in the past across the Hay Plane but at lest that was constant,last Sundays gusts and sudden directions changes were very very scary,south of Walacha and heading to Robertson,crazy ridding
  13. Lots of people advocate the "sticking a knee out" technique although. I suspect all bikes are different so give it a go and if it works for you use it. Though have to say whenever I have tried it it didn't seem to make any difference.

Main thing about wind is the pschological terror it causes in noobs. Because it scares you you tense up and then when the wind gives you a little wobble holding tight onto the bars causes you to exaggerate it.

The secret is to relax and go with it. Most times the bike will track straight with either no or just a little input from the rider. But the only way to learn to relax is with practice. With experience you will learn that wind may be annoying but it is rarely a problem.
  14. ....Yup!! was hanging on for dear life!!!....:eek:hno: ... will try to relax next time.
  15. first time i encountered raging winds was on my little RS125 that weighs like110 kgs Dripping Wet lol.
    I just kept riding and riding everyday in the wind and in 2-3 days i was comfrotable enough to not worry about it.
    Its all about practice.
  16. im not too nooby when it comes to riding, was just that last weekend of wild gusting winds that gave me a few oh dear moments lol. normal wind is no problem. Buffering was pretty much the best thing for me in those wild conditions