Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the Wet

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by turnipcorp, Aug 17, 2007.

1. I have been riding for 14 months now. About 2 months ago i dropped my scooter on dry road with a wet strip down the middle and maybe oil...there was no friction to the slide.

Thing is now i have a new bigger bike that i am unsure od to start with........i am terrified of leaning in the wet or on damp roads.

Is there any tips you guys have for riding on damp roads ior in light rain...i dont care too much riding in the about pissing rain...but damp slick roads scar the shit out of me

2. slow down a tad, and lean further off the bike than normal - this has the effect of keeping the bike more upright, so more tyre traction is available for cornering
  3. +1 from what duff said.

Also if your really worried get some wet weather tyres/really good soft compand tyres, Im running PP's and can get down pretty low in wet weather. Also avoid really fast/aggressive movements and smooth everything out.
  4. So when leaning in to the corner...keep my body more upright? and push the bike into the lean underneath me?

5. No no no, get off the side of the bike more and keep the bike upright.
  6. Ok i'll give it a try...in the dry first!

ta mate
  7. +1, maybe it could have been your scooter tyres? alittle to naked?

i havn't had any real problems in the rain so far(knock on wood) but i had noticed that it gets really hard to see white riding in the rain, they should invent some visor wipers or something lol
  8. You need to get over your drop...It's holding you back from riding confidently and could actually cause you to have another accident!

In the wet, you ride the bike the same way as in the dry, EXCEPT that you need to be more gentel on the controls overall. Getting beyond your Phobia of having the bike go out from under you can only be done with practice and through gaining experience. For you, at the moment, it's purely a head-game.

Having said all that...there is no golden talisman that it going to always protect you from decking it on slippery surfaces - it can happen...but you can do alot to avoid it in the first place, and reduce the chances of it happening. Confidence and smart riding is the key.
  9. or maybe some rider training.
    just like me
  10. Like this:

See how Raven's body is inside the angle of bike? For left handers shift some body weight to the left side of the bike, and visa versa for right handers. You don't have to move your whole body (bum and all), but at least let your elbow and shoulder drop so your upper body is to the left. Try it in the dry so you can feel the effect. Start centred on the bike around an easy corner, then lean your upper body to the same side you're cornering. To maintain the same radius, you'll have to upright the bike a bit.

As for grease and crap on the road - it's always a bugger. Keep an eye out for it and try to avoid it.

EDIT: Image changed so it's just a screen shot of the original. So if there was anything wrong, it should be fine now.
  11. Good picture Pinkxie!
  12. Yeah nice one Pinkxie oh and the spyware attached was good to NOT :evil:
  13. :?: I just uploaded a standard pic with the "Add image to post" option :?

EDIT: I actually downloaded it off my photobucket, then uploaded. Could photobucket have added the spyware?
  14. Whereever it came from Pinkxie, there's not alot you can/could do about it.
    Bagga was just being unnecessarily sarcastic :roll:
  15. Sorry Pinkxie it by no means was a personal crack at you or any others.
    I deal with them everyday .I think i am in withdrawal as the only thing i have been able to ride lately is the cage. Thanks all for the snap back to reality i needed :grin:
  16. In most cases the tire has more grip then the rider will use, even in the wet.

So ya, its a big fear thing, same thing with me and right hand turns in the wet, thats how i binned it but i found out why and have learnt from it.

Defo lean off the bike and be smooth but also learn to trust your bike and learn from each and every experience.
  17. Remember to always keep yours eyes up too. If you get to obsessed dodging every bit of bad road you will be moving the bike around to much and loose any smoothness and balance.

Keep it simple in the wet and you will be fine. As the others said, body position and be smooth.
  18. bumping this up to ask a question.

I've read all the replies about cornering and stuff in the wet. I came home in the wet the other night for the first time. All I did was go a tad slower/smoother around the corners. My Q is, what sort of speed, say, going around a normal roundabout would have your bike slip out under you?

If I had an average type of speed where you would have a prango, then I'd be a lot more confident. I mean I have watched Casey Stoner in the wet...lol... :LOL:
  19. can't give you an answer however one thing....

i know it's always said stay out of the centre track of the lane/road on a bike, that means all the time. i remember a while ago it was raning and i was coming through a roundabout and kinda shortcutted it. hit some diesel (smell), and nearly lowsided. Lucky those dirt bike riding skills I've watched other people demonstrate meant I sh!t myself and put a foot down and saved it. Use the outer or inner wheel track all the way through a roundabout when it's wet!!!
  20. Perfect! Smoothness is so important coz any time you make the bike move suddenly, its weight could be transfered on/off tyres, which means less grip on the road.

Casey generally doesn't have to deal with oil and crap on the track, and I'm guessing his tyres and suspension are a bit better than ours!

There's no magic number we can give that's safe. All you can do is look out for and avoid the mega slippery stuff, which there's lots of it in roundabouts, especially middle (oil) and outer (overflowing fuel), and any painted markings. From what I can gather, we all doddle through roundabouts in the wet, and don't trust them a lot more in the dry.

Try to pick a speed that if your tyre slipped a bit, you wouldn't be so commited that you couldn't recover. Keeping the bike fairly upright will help. So either mega slow, or regular slow with body weight inside the bike's axis.