Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the wet

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by RedRobbo, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Hi guys and girls just wanted to ask some of you more experienced riders about how you approach the cornering in wet and raining conditions. I have taken on advice from Doug about more gently rolling of the throttle, I guess I'm just a little concerned about sliding or washing out. I have read how slippery white lines are and oil or diesel left on the road as well. I am a newbie so any comments or advice would be appreciated. Cheers Rob :biker:.

2. There's heaps of advise about riding in the wet in the New Riders and Riding Tips forum...

I just got home from riding through the storm. 2 - 5km under the speed limit, buffer of 2ish car lengths- rode thru the middle of the speed markings on the road (not enough space to the side - too much camber) - started decelerating twice the distance it takes to stop in the dry for red lights- slow off the hop - upright as possible through corners - between the ped crossing lines and I was home.

Maybe practice wet riding in a car park or cul-de-sac if you're not sure how your bike reacts in the wet? You've got to know your bike (y)

Edit: Sorry, you have to factor in wind as well -hopefully someone will come along and explain things for bigger bikes, since mine feels like I'm riding a hyperactive BMX :)

Oh- and make sure you dress for the occasion - keep warm and dry. I have hiviz wet weather gear for riding at night. Before anyone goes off about wearing hiviz - this is not to make me think I will be seen better (I know some will see me- most wont) but if I do happen to come off - and I'm lying on the road (Jebus forbid) I won't look like a tarp or a bag of garbage - and someone might actually stop (and help - not run me over)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. For me I do the following;
    Bigger buffer zone, less throttle, higher gear than normal, more rear brake, less speed (whilst still keeping in front of the traffic wherever possible).
  4. Plus less lean angle.
  5. this.
  6. You just need to be smooth, progressively apply the brakes instead of grabbing them, smooth transitions when cornering.

Don't be too afraid, bikes lose far less percentage of grip than cars.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Its pretty simple - take it really feakin easy, especially on turns. Be aware of hidden puddles in the road, especially during heavy rain because the drains block up. Beware of drivers going opposite direction who may hit a massive puddle and blind the crap out of you for a good few seconds.
  8. As above - being smooth is key.

Use less engine braking and more active braking - brake early and progressively.
    Use a larger buffer from all corners.

Reducing lean angle when cornering is a given in the wet. Essentially you want to keep the bike as upright as possible while completing the corner - the easiest way to do this is to be "body active" on the bike - Point you shoulder into the corner and let your torso weight guide the bike through the corner - this will minimize the effective lean angle required.
  9. Doesn't seem to be mentioned yet, but I avoid the middle of the road as that's where the oil is most likely to drop from other vehicles.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Watch out for black snakes.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Be particularly careful for the first 30 minutes when the grunge and oil that has built up in the dry gets turned into the oil slicks before it washes away
  12. Also, watch out for numpties sliding out at roundabouts - be careful trying to overtake, especially on the outside.

Had a twit understeer into my cage from the inside lane of a roundabout one stormy day, pushing my car into the kerb.

Could only laugh though since my car's a shitheap and their's wasn't.
  13. Pack a spare pair of underwear.
    Not for any big scares more for how water rolls of a petrol tank at speed.
    If you are going to look like you have pissed your self you may as well be comfortable.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Thanks for all the great advice everyone:).

15. I rode to a job interviews in heavy rain once.

Didn't get the job...8-[

Biggest tip, is to keep your mobile phone in the inner most pocket.](*,) They dot like being wet.

Visor up a little. Tilt your head slightly left & right to let the wind blow the rain off the visor.

It you have to stop quickly for a red / amber light, progressively hard on the front brake, while braking with the rear. Look up, stay straight, and try to aim off the while arrow with your peripheral vision. If you have to overshoot the pedestrian line, so be it, but obviously try not to enter the intersection by much. If a light has been green for a while, there is a fair chance it is just about to change!!!](*,)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. I like riding in the wet , other day the rain came hard and i went out , the wife thinks i'm mental . But one thing i ALWAYS do is brake gently early ,, and never ever go to fast , signposts says bend 50 , i slow to 50 same bend in the dry i may take at 80 , but in the wet ALWAYS SLOW DOWN .
  17. [​IMG]

Not challenging you, I just have not ever heard that before.
  18. I can't find a source but it is mainly because bike tyres don't aquaplane (or its damn hard to get them to).

Note that I am not saying that we have more grip in the wet just that we don't lose as much as a percentage.
  19. All the above PLUS trust the bike! Hard to explain but these are words said by Doug among many others.

In his own style 'Trust the bike' he said and it all makes sense now. :D