Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the wet. Do you?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Audible, Dec 18, 2007.

1. having been a wee little 50cc scooter for many a year, I have learnt to avoid riding in the wet like the plague.

Unlike most scooterites, I wear the gear, full face, gloves, steel caps, rjay explorer and I keep a set of water proof pants in the top box just in case.
    If I get caught out and have to ride in the wet, I find that I avoid roundabouts and drop my cornering speed and lean as well as sitting as forward as I can to put some extra weight on the front wheel to help prevent it slipping out.

Now Im at the stage of going for the two fiddy licence, undecided atm on getting a bike or maxi scooter. I'm assuming that full sized bikes/bigger scooters have more grip in the wet. Assuming as I don't know so I'm asking you lot, those who do ride bikes in the wet.

So, does anybody ride regularly in the wet or do most riders break out the cage when it rains? Do you modify your riding habits? I know I can change my route and avoid the dredded right hand roundabout corner and other corners that are bad in the wet, is this something all bikers do? Tips? Advice? Bring it!

Oh, and thanks in advance.

2. Before you get the Mod's angry, I suggest you do a search. This topic has been covered numerous times.

Oh, and have a nice day! :beer:

Pssst - Yes, I do.

3. Riding in the wet is no different from the dry for me, I happily ride LONG distances anywhere in the rain.
    I dont lean as much and I leave a bigger gap for braking.
    but its no different, you would be surprised at how much grip a good set of tires have.
    I didnt like the wet for the same reason, but got used to it and its really no drama.

The headspace your in at the moment will cause an unconfident rider.
    Thats where the problem will start.

The only trouble riding in the rain is when your wet gear leaks and you get soggy balls.....Yuk..... :roll:

4. :shock:
    too much information :p
    But I agree ( about it being not much different ) except:
    1: Adjust your speed and your 'space cushion' accordingly
    2: Be even MORE alert
    3: Avoid riding if it has just started raining after a dry few days
    ie: wait a while, give the rain a chance to wash the crap ( oil etc ) off the roads.

5. People who ride in the wet are probably the same ones who like going to the snow.

If I want to be cold and wet I'II take a cold shower!

Fair weather for me.

6. +1 Stookie.

Exactly the same as normal except:

1) Try to be smooth with your brakes (I would say throttle too, but... 50cc ain't gonna go powersliding on ya)

2) Avoid white lines and shiny things on the road, especially oil and diesel puddles.

IT's not the end of the world.

7. Riding in the wet I see as a very good argument for getting a bike over a scooter...
    here is my logic.
    When it is wet you want to keep the bike very upright, so the best way to corner is a lot of body movement.
    But because it is wet you don't want to move to sudenly.
    Having the bike between your legs instead of teh step through space (As on a scooter) you can control this weight movement in a more controlled and deliberate manner.
    i ride in the wet a lot, and i am no longer concirned about tam tracks and the like because I pay distinct attention, and make sure i keep the bike up right and controlled.

8. First time I ever ran the 'Spur was in the pouring rain. Never had so much fun!! :LOL:

I ride, rain hail (last Christmas Day!) shine whatever. It's really no different but as said before, you just need to leave more of a braking distance than normal and take a little more care.

Riding in the rain I believe makes you a better rider because you need to be even more aware of the way the bike is handling than you do in the dry. Therefore, when you get back in the dry your riding should improve. Just my theory anyway, it's worked for me :wink:

9. I commute with the bike to uni. When you're faced with a 50 minute ride in the rain and I'll get a bit wet (full rain suit), vs. 1.5-2 hours of bus and walking combo, which I'll get wet doing anyway (walking + leaky bus roof), I opt for the bike.

That said, I hate commuting in the rain. Leisure rides are different though, and I've done old pac in the pouring rain once or twice.

10. the only thing i dont like about riding in the rain is having to polish the friggen rims afterwards. riding in the rain with knobies on is an interesting experiance. i highly recomend it

11. Ridden in rain plenty of times over the years, never had a car for 2 years so bike was only transport. That said, these days I never set out in the rain, or if rain looks imminent. I ride the bike for pleasure now, not because I have to.

12. cookietree

I tried a search. The problem is this forum wont filter to thread titles only so all I got was hundreds of posts with the search words in them, and no thread dedicated to the subject, that I could find in the first 10 pages or so.

Besides. Whats wrong with covering the subject over and over again if it helps keep a (possible future) biker out of the roadside furniture? :p

FALCON-LORD

I can't comment on weight transfer on a bike personally, though I do know what you mean. I am a bit of a demon cornering the little scooter, applying a bit of body movement/knee out and scraping both sides (when I want to).
    Come to think of it, that might be half my problem. I'm too confident in my dry road cornering, and going to fast on average so that come wet time, I think "slow down" but I am still going too fast. Hmmm.

Stookie

You know, that is something I never considered. Tyres. On a 50cc scooter, a tyre is a tyre, they are all pretty much the same crap. Never thought that on a bike there are obviously crap and good tyres. Odd given that I am so critical on tyre choice for my car (translation = cage) to try and stop that spinning the rears in 3rd/4th gears.
    Would it be worth it when I get my new bike (still assuming I go the path of the bike), changing the tyres for a "wet" type. Whats good and what sort of bucks usually? Gotta be cheaper than four yokie "c" drives on the cage!

13. No, you wouldn't choose wet tyres. If you lived in England or something you'd probably choose tyres that work better in the rain though..

Bikes vs. scooter in the rain? I'll take the scooter please. Why? Because I wouldn't care if I scratched up a scooter.

14. Lol. Yes, no problem dropping a 2 kay plastic POS is there?

15. Damn straight. Better a scoot than a fully faired bike :(

16. well concidering a rear tyre can cost upwards of $300 and might (a big might at that) last you 10,000ks i would definately say the cost on motorcycle tyres are more then a car, not counting fronts

just remember it's one thing to concentrate on being smooth with the throttle, but be jerky on the clutch and you will see your bike sliding down the road as well

17. Ouch, didn't expect that, though I doubt you need tyres like that on a 250cc but I get the picture. bike tyres = expensive. Plus there is probably a bit of cost to install given the wheel removal.

18. The only difference with wet weather driving, are that cagers are even more stupid than before. Other than that, ive had no loss of traction, except mayb the painted parts of the road, avoid those!!! I actually love riding in the rain, especially after a hot day, so refreshing :cool:

19. IMHO, if you can't ride in all weather conditions, you either need to practice it, or not ride a bike at all.
    Eventually you will get caught out in the rain and slippery conditions. Not knowing how to ride in that is a recipe for disaster.

20. +1 so true