Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Spots, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. Hey all,

    I'm flying over to San Francisco for a holiday soon, and an SF-based friend has offered to loan me his spare motorcycle while I'm there.

    Do Australian motorcyclists require international drivers' licenses in the USA?

    I understand that I'm bound by the limitations of my license as-issued, which means I'm limited to a 250cc - fortunately my friend's spare bike is a GPX250. :)

    Any other comments/hints welcome. :)

  2. I went to NRMA and got some paperwork, when I went for a longer trip, the first time, but I don't think you really need too.

    the second time I didn't even bother.

    A certianly wouldn't if it was only a short period of time.
  3. Check with the RTA / Vicroads. Some countries allow you to drive for 1-2 weeks on your native licence, but in some cases you have to (I believe) get a "permit" as well.
    Try here:
  4. Went to US this time last year - but only drove, and hired a car for a week, and NSW licence was fine
  5. Hey SPots, I lived in San Fran for a number of years and just returned Tuesday of this week - business trip.

    1). You dont need an international drivers license

    2). They drive on the wrong side of the road - this is serious and many motorcyclists get confused as there is not steering wheel for reference

    Apart from that, the road rules and laws are similar.....
  6. Yeah watch it at the end of the day, when you are tired. Watch u-turns, when you come out of driveways and turning at islanded roads.

    Have fun. The US is better then I thought it would be. People in the west coast are a pretty freindly bunch.
  7. What about insurance? I know that in California there is a legal minimum to be on the road.

    When renting a car this insurance (or comprehensive) is offered to you. I don't know about your situation when borrowing a friends bike/car.