Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the US

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jimboss, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Hi there just want to know if any netriders have travelled aroung the US on a motorcycle. I want to plan a Riding Holiday soon from the West Coast to the East Coast.

    If anyone has any recommendations/experiences (good/bad) - time it took to travel? please let me know?

    Cheers Jim
  2. Try PM'n carver,he has done some of the states,may be able to help :?: Or you could go for a ride to the cafe in Marysville. The part owner of that is American and done fair bit of touring of it.
  3. Make sure you get a Carnet de Passage for the bike too (or the US equivelant). Its amazing the amount of people who ship their bike/car over without thinking they need any paperwork for it! :shock: Trust me, i used to work in DOTARS issuing import permits!
  4. One thing I'd mention... a guy I knew died when he moved back to Oz by running head on into a car because he was on the wrong side of the road. Momentary lapse of concentration with tragic consequences. Remember, on a bike you don't have the cue like in a car of the steering wheel being on the 'wrong' side to remind you. In particular coming off one way streets is dangerous.

    Definitely not saying don't do it - you'll love it. But just wanted to give you an extra heads-up on this issue going both ways.
  5. ooh, good luck with that. hope it's fun.

    i've done quite abit of driving up and down the west coast and inward in all sorts of weather.

    what can i say...be careful, dude!

    some of the interchanges are just ridiculous. if you think we have some bad drivers here... well, i'll just wait till you come back with your tales of adventure. :wink:
  6. going over to hawaii, LA and Vegas later this year, love to hire a harley to cruise around on. When In Rome, and such. (if they let foreign P-platers hire harleys that is)
  7. mate, you may have a problem.

    from my research some time back you have to have a full licence to hire bikes in the US. i'm talk'n cali., nev..
  8. Deals gap :wink: