Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the rain

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by T355, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Hey everyone, recently started riding and I have a few questions reguarding riding in the rain. Firstly how much slower do you normally go. Say for example when its dry you could comfortably take a series of long left then right corners at 160. How much slower would you have to go in the wet. I find myself sitting on about 60-70 and still not confident on the bikes grip. Also where abouts on the road to you ride. The smooth surfaces, from car tyres, near the edges or the rough yet bumpy surface in the middle.
    I know there is no exact answer here, just want an idea of how much grip you would normally loose.

2. You'll et a million different answers.
    Be as smooth as you can in all functions
    Keep away from road marking lines and arrows
    Depending on your bike you could even ride a gear higher than normal to take the edge off
  3. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  4. Which track are you talking about?
  5. Don't matter which track. But you could take them at 160 in the wet too. But if you lost traction I'd be wrong. OK? :roll:
  6. Just try and stay clear of other users. Don't overestimate your ability to stop. In the report on motorcycle crashes by the Michigan state police (google it), about 1/3 of motorcycle at fault crashes were 'unable to stop' this doesn't count those speeding or doing dumb things. I generally ride in the right side wheel track so directly in front of the following driver. Sometimes on a drying road, the centre is the first part to dry, so I will use that except if it looks greasy. Watch out especially for steel grates. These are bad enough in the dry - avoid like the plague.
  7. I'll try to clarify a little more. On a long sweeping corner how much is your traction reduced in the rain. What percentage of grip do you normally loose. I would just like a guide.
  8. Are we talking track or road? If on the road, don't push it. If you are in a hurry and its raining, take the car. It really isn't good to rush something you know can be hairy at the best of times.

Track? Use common sense, do it slow the first few times, and you will get a feel for how fast you can go.
  9. take one at pace just 'til you crash, and then, dont quite go that fast again...easy.
  10. The whole point of this topic was to try to avoid that method of finding out. In the dry I have no probs cause if it slids you can back off and regain control. But in the wet I would assume that as soon as the bike slides its all over.
  11. a million variables mate.
    eg. surface conditions, tyre choice, position etc. etc.
    no real straightforward answer. take it easy, and you will explore your limits.
    a bit of a slide is not necessarily the end, many wet-slides are salvageable, just dont be pushing too hard.
  12. Interesting.
  13. The road surface is generally made of of hotmix, like a race track, or aggregate over bitumen...like country roads.
    The water flows over the hotmix, and depends how hard it is raining how deep it is .
    The with the bitumen type, the water has a chance of draining between the aggregate, if it's not raining too hard.
    Surface water is your enemy, if you see it flowing across the road, or puddles lying on the road take care.
    The difference of traction between a damp and dry hotmix is great. The difference between a damp and dry aggregate type is not so great.
    Throw all the different types of tyres in and you add a heap of more variables. How worn they are, ie how deep the tread pattern another.
    The list goes on.
    There just are too many variables.

Poor vision is another problem again. Them seeing us, and us seeing with a wet visor. Oh riding at night in the rain is not something I enjoy, due to the lack of visibility.

But as Joel said, and I hinted at in my first post. It's very easy to be wrong, but if riding, gently and smoothly, leaving heaps of room for error, there should be no problem in the rain or on wet roads. But it's still your judgement call. Get it wrong and it can hurt.
  14. Honestly, this has been covered SOOOOOOOO many times, and tehre is a mountain of great advice on this subject on this forum.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. honestly, you keep replying to Noob topics, saying its been covered so many times, and to use search. why not help a lil bit, and do some searching for them. theyre noobs :)

me, im too lazy to use search, but i will try and have some useful input for you!

i say get out into the rain, and get as much experience as you can. obviously get used to your bike first, i dont suggest your first ride a nighttime raining ride lol.
    just keep everything smooth in the wet. smooth gear changes, smooth turning, smooth breaking, smooth accelerating. relax, and take it easy. as said before, amybe run in a ihgher gear around corners, if your worried about too much sudden acceleration causing a loss of traction. when cornering, u can keep the bike more upright, if you lean off the bike, into the corner. use search :)P) and have a read up on leaning into corners before u go and try it, you dont wanna lean the wrong way and tip over lol.
    i keep to the left or right wheeltracks generally, although the middle looks cleaner, its not. at a set of traffic lights, in the wet, have a look in the middle of the lane, u will more than liekly see oil rainbows and crap. its NOT good to be in these. this is the same on the rest of the road, just less of it built up as compared with at the front of the traffic lights.

but as joel said, get out there and you will begin to find the limits of your bike in the wet, yourself. this is the only way to know the exact limits, than have someone tell you.

have fun :)
  16. Wet road + intersection + riding in the middle of a lane = I hope you didn't want to stop at this set of lights.
  17. thats what i said yeah?. i'll go edit to clarify.

"although the middle may look cleaner, it's not."
  18. Oops, sorry... I should have thrown in a "+1" to clarify; it was a post of agreement. :)
  19. I know of a rider that went down in the wet going in a straight line and this person knows how to ride.
  20. Thankyou to all who tried to help. Much appreciated. I have been driving for for 16 years, so my road skills are ok, just my not my riding skills. I'm sorry if I'm basically repeating myself. But heres what I'm after.
    Driving a car cruise control in the dry take a corner at 100, same corner in the wet cruise control still on 100. On a bike would you normally slow down for a slight corner or is the grip much the same