Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in the rain!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Saki, Apr 7, 2006.

1. g'day guys,
    i feel victim to my first fall today and it was due to wet slipery roads. Basically i would like to know wat sort of things i can do whilst riding in the rain to prevent falling off again. The bike now has some decent scratchs up the fairing an the handle bar is a little loose. Apart from that the rest seems fine!! but non the less i would like some helpful tips.
    the bike came out from under me when i was going aorund a round about, plus it has a little bit of an incline!

2. I always go very slow. Round abouts have a habbit of being slippery as the vehicles going around are moving slow and tend to drop oil along their way.
    Make sure you have good tyres and try not to lean the bike over were possible.
  3. so u reckon in future just go super slow and super straight around round abouts ?
  4. yeah, just go over it, not round it...

Or at least slow enough you don't fall off.
  5. And stay away from any painted lines or arrows etc etc.
    I had a lil slide on wednesday , I was at a stop sign,,I made sure I was not on the white line cos it was just starting to rain, anyway..as I took off, cos you cant avoid going over the white lines, I was just starting into my turn, cos it was at a corner..I felt my ass end give and a lil slide began..i managed to power my way out of it, I don't really know how,,it just happened, so Im lucky I never lowsided as I turned cos I was right in the path of all the peak hour on coming traffic on warrigul rd.
    Sure scared me..but I guess it wont be the only scare I have..nor the last. Just make sure you are smooth in everything you do in the wet, no sudden braking, no sudden anything for that matter.
  6. What tyres do you have mate? The tyres I got with my ZXR250 (Dunlop K555's) were slippery even in the dry, let alone the wet.
    I use Dunlop GPR70's now and I can ride at about 80% of my dry speed and lean angle without a problem in the rain.

Take roundabouts at a little more than walking pace in the wet, and drag the rear brake to stabilise the bike. Try and stay out of the center patch of road as it's where cars drop the oil.
    Have you been riding long? You should learn to catch little slides after they happen a few times, I was doing a rolling bunout on a white line in the rain the other night when the front wheel locked and started to go down but I managed to catch it.
  7. WHen it's raining and i'm going around a roundabout as above i just slow right down to a crawl to get around it and if i know another way i just take that instead.
  8. The other thing to watch out for is the black tar that they use to fill cracks in the road with, in the wet it is like skating on ice.

Also be aware that light rain will wash some of that oil/diesel off the centre of the road and into the ruts created by the wheels of the cages, so staying in the centre may become a viable position. This will depend on the road, the rain, how long since the last rain etc. . . Just watch out for any rainbow patches or unusually reflective shimmer when the roads are wet, as this tends to mean oil or diesel on the road.

As you learn the roads and your bike it will become easier to judge this, but you will never get it right all the time :( I had an off the other day because I thought following the car ruts would be safer :( not a problem since I was basically stopped by the time the rear wheel caught up with the front :shock:

I have found that riding on dirt roads on a road bike can teach how to: handle the bike in slippery conditions, keep the bike upright, and what to do if it does start slipping out from under you. The good thing is that on the dirt road it can be a ‘little’ more predictable where the soft parts of the road are (no hidden oil spots), as well as there are fewer cages to cause you grief :roll:
  9. Oh,
    and watch for any metal surfaces.

Tram tracks are treacherous, as are those horrid sheet-metal covers they put over holes in the road.

Some of the expansion joints on freeways and freeway ramps are pretty nasty too.

I had a 'moment' the other night taking the Dynon Rd entrance to citylink (Melb) in the rain. The enrty ramp curves up in a tight arc that is normally good fun, but it has these metal expansion joints that get as slippery as all get-out in the rain. It had just stopped raining, and I was leaned over and powering up the ramp when the back stepped out on the metal joint.

Normally I try to cross these things with the bike pretty much upright, but this one caught me by suprise. (translation: I wasn't paying attention to all the right things)
  10. hi and welcome sorry to hear that you droped bike, i did same on my honda 250.
  11. How long and how much rain has fallen are things to consider too.
    If its just started, the oil and water don't mix and make it that little more slippery. Once its been raining for a while, I think the theory goes that it washes away the oil.
    Torrential down pours can move detritus such as builders nails onto your path. I picked up at least four at once on a Saturday in early March. Scumbag knows, he saw it with his own eyes.
  12. - slow down
    - put your lights on
    - leave a greater space in front of you
    - try and create more space all around you
    - continue to keep a close eye on cars, people driving seem to have more of a habit of not concentrating or looking where they're going when it's raining
    - slow down a bit more than usual through intersections in case you have to brake because someone pulls out (especially at T intersections)
    - always set up your brakes and then squeeze, never grab a handful of brakes as more than likely the front end will tuck in on you
    - as G said, watch out for debris, fallen branches etc
    - avoid any obstacle in the road, i.e metal grates, painted lines, repairs etc
    - make sure you're also warm and dry as being cold and wet will lower your concentration levels
    - take it easy
  13. Ridimg in the rain

-I ride at like 40-50kmh in the rain,couldnt give a fug bout cars behind me. :evil:

-Bike as absolutely upright as possible.

-When approaching any intersection,from like 100 metres afore entering,Im in the wheel tracks of the cars,being as several afore mentioned,when cars are sitting there idling at lights,there dropping oil.

-read the camber of the road and adjust bike angle accordingly-i.e.upright as possible Ive found is normally pretty good 4 d health.

-As mentioned-if possible,avoid any steel,painted surfaces be it lines or symbols,epoxy crack filler-the black tar goop, like Typhoid Mary with the plaugue. :bolt:

-slowly,gently on throttle and brakes,ease everything on,to do this safely,I allow a greater response/reaction time,so if I would normally brake at a well known roundabout at 50 metres afore it,I will at 75metres start slowing down,etc.

-Depends on your riding style and Im sure theres plenty who disagree :furious: but I tend to ride the back brake while cornering,
    as Im still braking but its not affecting my steering dynamics as much as applying front brake while trying to steer.

And as Marvinthemartian said and I couldnt concurr more.This is what trailbikes teach you to do as second nature,without even thinking bout it.

I remember coming back years ago from Ski season opening weekend on an old Yamaha XJ900 I had,on the Melba Hwy,near Toolangi/Kinglake turnoff,pissing rain,Im knackered,I head into a right hander at 110kmh,suddenly remember thinking
    :-k "why am I powersliding at 110kmh when all I wanted to do was ride around this corner :eek:hno: big oil patch,aint nothing like a 110kmh powerslide in the wet to wake you up :shock: Trailbike riding skills saved my life there. O:)

14. Thanx for the tipps, I have largely avoided the rain by leaving the bike at home and taking the sportscar out instead :grin: , however I realise that to become a better rider, I need to expose myself to all sorts of conditions. When I learned how to ride a bike, the number one thing they instill into you, it to minimise the amount of lean on the bike when cornoring in wet conditions, mind you that is difficult to do on a cruiser, they seem only to turn whilst under significant lean, or perhaps it is my fault? Anyways, cheers people for all the handy tipps.
  15. cheers guys this is all really helpful stuff. Reading some of hte stuff i think i realised where i came unstuck. Basically the camber on hte road throws outwards and i think i just had a little to much speed and a little too much lean. so non of that really helped. I went out again last night and i have to leave for work soon and i am SOOO cautious now and i am going to keep all those things mentioned above into consideration. I think staying as upright as possible and avoiding the dodgy bits onteh road is prob the best thing!!
    Thanks guys!