Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Riding in QLD with NSW learners

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by IcarusDragonmaw, Dec 28, 2013.

  1. Hi all,
    Quick question, if you ride in QLD with a NSW learners do you need an escort in QLD?

    Been trying to locate exact information about this but just keep getting ambiguous information.

    Can someone please help in this?
  2. That is the issue i was running into. States that you have to comply with the restrictions of the issuing state and the laws of the state your in.
    I know NSW doesn't require supervision when riding.
  3. Technically yes. There are some that might dispute this but learned folk support it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm leaning towards yes... and even if legally you didn't, probably not worth testing the waters in QLD's current climate towards motorcyclists.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I was always told you need to follow the laws of the state that you are in- regardless of what license you hold.

    This is why states should all have the same laws :(
    • Agree Agree x 5

  6. Probably a smart call. They would just as likely take the "L" plate to mean "Lawless associate" and grab you on the spot for wearing the wrong colour undies or something.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. No. Not according to the email I have from Qld Transport.
    In NSW L Plate restrictions wrt speed etc are covered by a NSW Road Rule. There is no license restrictions on speed or no licence restriction requiring you to be supervised.
    Visiting Qld you need to comply WITH your NSW license restrictions AND Qld road rules.
    So, unless there is a specific Qld Road Rule that requires ALL L plate holders to be supervised then it is ok without.
    A tricky part can be how L is defined. As an example, in NSW L platers are defined as anyone holding an L Plate whereas a P Plater is defined such that NSW P Plate restrictions only apply to NSW P plate holders.
    This is why visiting L platers to NSW are restricted to 90 km/h and visiting P platers, provided they have no license speed restrictions, are not.
    I posed this to Qld transport and have it in writing.
    It makes sense. You have done more to get your L than they need to in Qld.
    An instructor I spoke to who lives near the border said she has heard of cases where the cops have pulled some over. Suggestion was to take it to Court. Any magistrate with half a mind will let you off.
  8. #11 Naked6, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    Ring up Queensland Transport and ask.

    From Queensland Transport:

    Driving interstate with a Queensland driver licence

    If you are driving interstate, you still have to adhere to the conditions of your Queensland licence.

    You will also have to obey the other state's road rules. For example, New South Wales has a rule that requires all learner drivers to obey an 80 km/h maximum driving speed.

    To find out if any special road rules will apply to you when travelling interstate, it is best to contact the transport authority for the state that you will be driving in.

    I'd imagine it would be the same for most states, since each state has it's own laws you have to follow regardless of your home state license.

  9. Thanks all for your responses.
    QLD Transport site is rather ambiguous with information concerning this for interstate riders.
  10. Queensland L plate motorcycle riders are required to be supervised by an appropriately licensed supervisor. If you are riding on Qld roads with a NSW Learners permit then you need to comply with the rules as laid down in Qld. Therefore you need to be supervised.

    Please feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

    Two points on this:

    1. If you are required to have a supervisor present, then failing to do will result in a fine, but more frustrating will be the fact you cannot move your bike from the location where you were initially fined. The bike will remain sitting on the side of the road until you a) find a supervisor to accompany you b) find a trailer/truckvan c) find an appropriately licensed friend to ride your bike for you, d) sell your bike on the roadside. This exact situation happened to me on my Ls (not the selling part)

    2. Riding with an L plate solo is going to attract immediate attention from the police, irrespective of what state number plate is attached to the bike. A NSW plate does not immediately imply a NSW rider. Case in point, my Firestorm was NSW registered and I was a Qld resident. It is attention you dont want, dont need and as mentioned above, is not favorable considering the climate regarding bikes in Qld.

    Why do you need to ride on Ls in Qld anyhow? This would only seem necessary if you live close to the border on the NSW side.
  11. Family in Queensland but live in NSW.
    Wanted to ride there.
  12. Fair call. I would call the Qld police, as they'll be the ones pulling you over. ;)

  13. (7) However, a holder who is authorised to learn to ride a
    motorbike under this section or section 128(10) or 131(2)
    must not ride the motorbike on a road unless—
    (a) the holder is driving under the direction of a person,
    whether or not the person is a passenger on the
    motorbike; and
    (b) the person—
    (i) holds an O type licence for the class of motorbike
    that the holder is riding; and
    (ii) has held an O type licence for the class of
    motorbike that the holder is riding for at least 1
    year; and
    (c) if the person is a passenger on the motorbike—the
    person is in a sidecar attached to the motorbike.
    Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

    (Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010, https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/SLS/2010/10SL206.pdf, page 12, Part 2 section 4 subsection 7)
  14. #17 NSSherlock, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    ok, so the reference there is "holder" and it would refer to an L plate rider but it isn't specific how that "holder" is defined.
    Am being pedantic here because the definition may be a major part.

    Example for NSW: If you read NSW road rules you get L and P restrictions specified but it isn't until you go to the part of legislation that defines how an L and P plater is defined that it becomes clear. If you just read the road rules without digging deeper you can get it wrong.

    I've made an additional inquiry to QPS who have directed me to Dept of Main Roads and Transport.
    Here's what they said previously:

    The situation with this wrt speed is that NSW speed restrictions aren't a license restriction - they are a road rule.
    Might make another inquiry that is more specific wrt "supervision"
  15. The section I quoted isn't specific about "holder", that's earlier. Download the document I linked to and have a read.
  16. #19 NSSherlock, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah, it could apply because 128(10) is referenced and it says:


    but that only refers to Division only applies to display of L plates.
    So, "the holder" can be an interstate license holder.

    Personally, I've known a ton of people who ride in Qld on L's unsupervised. None I know of have been pulled over.
    On the NSW side of the border we get Qld L's doing over 90 km/h and the cops usually just ignore them when they see the Qld plate. My nephew drove from Vic to Brisbane on his L's with a Vic number plate in peak holiday time and wasn't pulled over once.

    For the OP's situation, if sprung, a *possible* argument could be about equivalence.