Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bravus, Feb 9, 2010.

1. There's a tiny chance I might apply for a job at the University of Hong Kong.

I have a decent sense of most of the other costs and benefits, but anyone have any idea about the whole riding thing? It's a tiny island - what are the laws, challenges etc.
  2. So, found out so far that my license can be transferred, bikes are cheap, pillioning on freeways is legal in Hong Kong where it's not in many other places in Asia, and there are some very nice bikes available very cheap with (unsurprisingly) very low km.
  3. I went to Beijing this year and on first sighting the traffic is madness. After a few days you realise there is logic in the madness. Were the rules to be as strictly obeyed as here then there would be gridlock. You also understand that people that want to get push bikes off the road are just wrong.
  4. No idea on the riding, but I spent a week working there a couple of years back...what an amazing place. From my perspective, all the things about China and some part of SE Asia that would put someone like me off (I'm not a World traveller) are null and void. You've got a thriving ex-pat community if you want some western/northern company and an amazing local scene full of sights, sounds and smells that don't exist in a western city.

Good luck!