Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International Riding in Canada

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by East Coast Cruiser, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Have arranged a three day ride on Vancouver Island Canada and wondered if anyone can give me tips on riding on the right hand side. Is it something that you adapt to quickly once there?
    I prefer left hand corners down here, even though your head gets close to the guide posts when pushing, and assume its because most left handers seem to have the camber working in your favour or is it a mental thing where you have more room to slide if you go down.
    Will be riding in a small group so am thinking it best to ride in the middle so I can follow the lead riders lines. That way I shouldn't drop into OZ auto pilot mode while gawking at the scenery.
    Will be on a borrowed Beemer so aim to keep it upright.

2. Of course I haven't riden but have driven and what a CTJM can be had...The worst was turning at a T junction or when coming out of a driveway...we once drove about 5 km up the "wrong" side of the road once it feltvso right and then CTJM when a truck came along....:( I got into trouble for not saying anything :eek:_:
    Stick in the middle until you feel you've got your head around it maybe..:)
    Sounds nice Mr East Coast CruiserEast Coast Cruiser although that scenery will just make you homesick won't it? ;)
  3. You'll be absolutely fine with driving on the right, especially if you're following someone.
    The biggest issue is when you're at a T junction, just make sure you look to see what traffic is about, it's strange to see traffic coming towards you in a lane you expect to see traffic going away.

When I took my first trip to France in 2011 I decided that when I left the ferry I would follow a French car for a while. It lasted for about half a mile before I was off.
    In the two trips I've had I done around 6500km on the right side of the road and made only two mistakes on deserted roads for about 50 meters each. It pays to have the wife as a pillion.:sorry:

You also might have to think a bit more when you get back home for a little while, it's easy to think your still abroad riding.
  4. #4 Oldmaid, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Ha ValkriderValkrider in the 80's we had a rip snorter of an arvo watching some of the brits in their cars fresh off the boat at Calais...we were in a lovely little cafe/bar on a corner where just a bit fruther they had a huge sign reminding everyone in english which side of the road they should now be on (which further showed the seriousness of the problem ;) ).
    Especially the caravan driver...lol! :p
    Of course we were pros (not) by then because we had driven all over Europe for three months or so in a little Renault :)
  5. If you do that 3 month trip on your new bike OldmaidOldmaid, it will only take you about 2 days, won't it?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FWIW, my hints are that, when riding (or driving) on the "wrong" side of the road, it's fairly easy when there are other vehicles about.

The real bugga is when you come out of a parking lot, or multi story park, and there aren't any other vehicles close by to remind you of where you are.

My classic was after only being in Oz for a few days, I got in the Torana, wound my way out of the Cremorne Strata parking lot, and headed off down Military Road.

Now this WAS a while ago now, but that road was still quite busy!

Ooops, a quick visit to someone's driveway, so I could turn round and head the right way..... <Talk about EMBARRASSMENT!>
  7. Yes OldmaidOldmaid , Vancouver Island is similar size to Tassie so I should feel at home and can't get lost because it's an island. Am looking forward to checking out the wildlife. Imagine coming around the corner to see a 7 foot (high) moose in your lane or a brown bear or a cougar if its after dark. Might need some of your Aprilia inconti. pads. Have had close encounters with a deer, several kangaroos, low flying parrots and ran over a 6 foot tiger snake (in Tassie) but encountered nothing the size of a mini bus with horns wider than my bike. Looking forward to it and comparing the Beemer to my Duc.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Hadn't thought about riding when we return. That is a very good point to think about. Sounds like the first few minutes of the ride require extra concentration and thought. We give way to vehicles on our right at intersections so I guess its give way to the left over there ?
    Did you get used to your head being close to the guide posts/rails etc. on right hand corners or did it still feel weird ? Overtaking on the left is going to feel really strange do you find that it becomes "normal". Thanks
  9. Sounds like riding centre pack might be safest for the first day but the key seems to be avoiding complacency and riding on auto pilot. Thanks CrazyCamCrazyCam
  10. It didn't take long for me to feel normal driving on the right, overtaking is fine. You just need a little more concentration at junctions.
    Roundabouts are fun though, where we go around them clockwise it'll be the other way round over there, thats if there's any roundabouts in Canada.

My advice would be to relax, don't over stress about it and enjoy the ride but at the same time keep your wits about you.
    And don't forget to take plenty of photos,,we like photos.(y)
    • Informative Informative x 1