Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding in Bali

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Culprit, Nov 5, 2004.

1. All I can say is at my first impression it looked suicidal. After a few days I realised a few things. Drivers there actually look out for riders. Even though the roads are full and cars and bikes are going everywhere, everyone is well aware of each other. You get the Western Tourist who hires a jeep barrelling down the road without care for others, but other than that it’s hectic and calm all at the same time. You can hire a scooter for about $10 Aussie per day or get a 250 Tiger for a little more if you’re a big spender.
    On a bad note, most tourists ride without helmets, gloves and the use the trusty old well supported Aussie thong for footwear. You have to realise medical attention is not as easy as it is to get here. And carrying your surfboard down the beach on the bike, no problems they have a side rack to stick your board on.
    One time I saw a young baby sitting in front of dad who was the rider, the daughter behind dad and mum at the rear. Very practical on a scooter.
    I struggle to see a panel shop and most cars were dent free so even though it may seem chaotic at times. My impression was well everyone just copes and even though it may take them that extra few minutes to get where they are going, it doesn’t matter.

2. I spent three years living in Bangkok a number of years ago and my main mode of transport was tuk tuks and motorbike taxis. I've never come across more skilled lane splitters anywhere. I've actually had to try to narrow my shoulders to avoid snapping off mirrors as these brave nutbags hurtle through traffic at the max speed a 100cc scooter can go two up.

Pratically noone wore helmets though you do see them frequently enough to know they are not all suicidal. There was the time I was taken past a otherwise healthy corpse that had had a bike crash moments earlier though, the sight of the pool of blood seeping out from under his head is still vivid.

The traffic in that part of asia could be best described as organised bedlam. "If it fits, stick it in" isn't just the motto for the local strip clubs either, but the driving ideal behind all vehicle operators. It makes sense when I remember a 4 1/2 hour traffic jam I got stuck in while trying to get home; a trip that normally takes about 20 minutes. I still believe that my best skills were nurtured in that mad environment.

3. what about corrupt cops? ah the corrupt cops. a colleague of mine went for a holiday in Bali a while back. he and his mate rented bikes, had the proper documents and all. they were cruising about when a cop stopped them and checked their docs. cop kept saying they were not in order despite their protests. cop called down all his buddies in brown (they wear browns over there) and my colleague and mate found themselves surrounded by 6 chubby cops who had been sitting under shelters chatting and drinking coffee. they were given 2 options: (1) "on-the-spot fine" :LOL: , (2) the cell.

somehow they bargained it down to some cans of ice cold coke :LOL:

i love them tuktuks! they're driven by lunatics! when you get off, your whole body buzzes for the next few minutes.

4. (Selamat Sore)

I too was absolutely fascinated by the traffic in Bali.
    My experience echoes everything that Culprit has written above.

I am developing an opinion that Australian Traffic is governed by two major factors; Fear and St-oo-pidity!
    Ride a bike around Bali and you will quickly realise that attitudes are a complete inversion. :eek:

Once emersed into the flow of the traffic I found the safest way to ride is to take some time and give way to anything in front.
    After a while you realise that people behind you are doing the same thing, so you can relax! 8)

I have a bucket load of excellent travelling tips for Bali,
    but that may be considered a little 'off topic',
    so send me a PM if you are interested.

(Selamat Tinggal)
    http://home.mira.net/~wreid/bali_ind.html

5. good on you guys!!!

i was born in Indonesia, i grew up and stayed there for 17years before i came over here 3 years ago.
    i first learned to ride a bike when i was 12, managed myself on the road at 15 without license.
    got my license at 16, legally is 18 like everywhere else in earth.(i heard in oz you can get it at 17???)
    i got my first bike is lil honda 'supra' 110cc which i rode for 3 years
    traffic condition is huge different with what i found over here.
    i speed up to 120K on empty traffic where thats the max speed i could made with that lil honda.
    over there peoples where their safety gears only when they race in a competition where they are obligated to wear it,
    helmet wore on the road is not for a safety reason but to avoid that bloody f!@Kin corrupt police!!!(yes they wear stupid brown ugly uniforms)
    once they stopped you, you got to spend lil bit money to get away from them, no matter how legal you are. never try to argue with them to avoid further problems they only after money to please their evil minded brain.
    helmets cost us start from $2 up to $400 for various quality, but who'll be bother to get f!@kin $400 helmet which is around 2.5 million rupiah???(you got to work for at least 3 months to earn that much!!)
    most people only gear up for average $10 helmet!! (that's what i did).
    peoples always aware of anything on the road, bikes, bajaj, anything that moving!!
    after riding for 2 months now in melbourne seems like 'some' car driver don't give s@#t to bike riders!!! been clipped twice on road so far.
    anyway thats just lil thoughts to share.....

few words from high school har??

6. Hey feriant,
    which traffic conditions do you prefer, Indonesian or Australian?

Learnt it while i was there.
    Being exposed to a different culture i felt like i was missing out on a lot.
    I think people appreciated that i was willing to make an effort to adapt.
    It really came in handy when (jalan jalan) hiking through rural areas.

My best friend was a little peeved that within two weeks i knew more of the (Bahasa) language than her,
    and her (Ibu) mother is Indonesian.

7. Apakaba Feriant.

Your right about the crap prices on helmets. Yes I know how very little people earn over in Bali. We take for granted many things and it's a real eye opener for anyone to visit Bali.

Melbourne drivers don't see you as they are not interested in looking for you.

Bali drivers, riders are thinking of everyone else around them.

Be back there in July for some more hospitality and relaxation.

Bali is Bagus, Bagus.

Anyone know of a decent Indonesian or Balinese Resturant in Melbourne. I need a fix.

8. 16 in the uk if you are willing to ride a scooter/moped

9. apa kabar?

there's a decent indonesian place along glenferrie rd, malvern. it's called ramayana or something.

10. Yeah if you plan on riding in Bali, make sure you have plenty of bribe money.....It is amazing to stand there and watch from the corner though.....They have this kind of Zen force.

11. good stuff!! even myself haven't been to Bali yet :oops: :oops:
    haha it depend on which side you look at
    Australia road condition is absolutely far better than Indonesia but if we look at the weather condition in Melbourne :(
    i think i prefer the weather back in Indonesia which is pretty consistent all the time. :D :D
    but overall for sure Australia's lot more better!! (except the cameras! there's no speed camera yet back there)

12. Thanks for that Gato

Give me Bali weather anytime.