Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Jeffrey Johnson, Feb 28, 2015.

1. I need a little advice please, I am looking at eventually commuting from Geelong to Melbourne and also going on some general rides around my area. There is so much stuff out there I am not sure what is the best to purchase? I would like to get something that is versatile in that I can wear all year and also in all conditions if there is such a thing? Also not sure if it is best to go textile or leather? I realise this has probably been raised before, also since I am going to be on L's for a little while is there a high vis vest you can get that looks Ok rather than one you get at safety shops, just wondering. Thanks in advance.

2. Have a search for this question on the recent forums, there must be 5 or 6 at least with the same question and everyone's feedback already. Save us all re typing lol
  3. Jeffrey unfortunately they do not make stylish Hi Viz vests..

As it's only required for 3 months (min) I wouldn't worry about spending any real money on one, just get the bare basic one.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. #5 bobthekelpy, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    As mentioned, you really pay for this type of versatility. And, it is still really hard to find one suit that will do it all. Below are some to consider, but really pricey and all use Goretex laminated to usually Cordura or similar.

Aerostich Roadcrafter (textile)
    Tiger Angel Guardian suit (leather) or Element (textile)
    Rukka (textile)
    BMW Streetguard (textile)
    Rev'it Sand (textile)

Textile usually offers the most versatility for multiple temperature ranges etc, it is some trade off on protection, but not that much for normal street riding. These days they are constructed pretty well at this price point and they have some very good armour, D3o etc. Another advantage is that most Goretex suits can be machine washed and dried to prolong their use and appearance.

At the other end of the scale are brands like Dririder. Owned one of their jacket and pants for 8 years. With occasional cleaning and re treatment for water proofing, they lasted well. Not great armour though (never tested).

Another option is layers. So, textile (vented) jacket with enough room for windproof layer or jumper and a rain suit to go over the top of everything when it rains.

FWIW; I use a Rukka jacket and pants combo, it is good up to about 25°c but gets too hot after this. Easy to care for, when it's dirty just remove the armour and into the washing machine, can be dried in the dryer too (as per info on care label). Done this a few times now and it still looks great.
  5. I thought that might have been the case Thanks
  6. Thanks I am certainly thinking of textile at this stage
  7. I'd thought about getting this...

and then adding some of this..

or maybe just something like this..
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Just be aware that those cool looking vests may not comply with the required standard. I could not find any specs listed for those jackets. The photo shows some stuff about mil-spec, but that doesn't cut the mustard here in Vic.

From here; https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/lic...t/a-new-motorcycle-graduated-licensing-system

All motorcycle learners issued with a learner permit on or after 1 October 2014 must wear a high visibility vest or jacket. A high visibility vest or jacket must meet one of the standards listed below and have a label or mark on the garment that shows the standard.

The standards for a day and night high visibility vest or jacket are:

• AS/NZS 4602.1:2011 High visibility garments
    • ISO20471 or EN20471 High visibility - Test methods and requirements
    • ANSI/ISEA 207-2011 - American National Standard for High-Visibility Public Safety Vests
    • ANSI/ISEA 107-2010 - American National Standard for High-Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear.
  9. #12 pincho, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    Sorry I had no idea, was on my L plates in 1990 in NSW now live in QLD. MY BAD

Ps seems like a good idea
  10. No probs. Nobody knows everything about everything, despite what my ex-wife believed! :LOL:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. #14 Mcsenna, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    pinchopincho Tip: try editing your post instead of adding another immediately after, saves real estate.;)

Edit: Like this. Jeffrey JohnsonJeffrey Johnson Have a look through the forums for the best place to put your posts, discussion on riding gear doesnt belong in general discussion. The other advantage is that once you find the right forum you may also find the answers to your question.
    • Like Like x 1