Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding during Chemo

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Suriag, Mar 6, 2012.

1. I'm starting Chemo on Thursday (a two week adjuvant course after some successful surgery, i'm not dying). I didn't think to ask the oncologist and have no experience with or friends who have had chemo.

So a question for folk on here who've had it: is it so shitty that riding is going to be a dangerous/bad idea for the duration? Should i make alternative (costly) arrangements to get to the clinic tomorrow?

Edit: It's 'BEP' chemo if that affects answers at all.
  2. Wouldn't have a clue, but riding might be one of the enjoyable things that you can do and might just help. Obviously that still doesn't answer your question about it being safe.

P.S. You poor bastard.
  3. Not been through Chemo, but known some who have, you'll know yourself how much it knocks you around and whether its OK to ride.
    First lot might make you a bit dodgy, but we are all different, radiation can make you really buggered.
    Suck it and see is all I can add along with good luck
  4. It's down to you. I had a six months course with a session every couple of weeks and was off for nearly nine months. I was pretty much too stuffed and nauseous to do much at all for most of that time. As soon as I started feeling better I had to go back for another round.

That isn't the case for everyone. it also depends on the type of chemo. Some are a lot worse with the side effects than others. .
  5. Ok, seems best to just apply some common sense and stick to a taxi for the first one instead of risking leaving the scoot stuck in Penrith, if it varies so wildly. Thanks.
  6. ^^ What he said. Depends on the chemo you're getting, It's not all the same. Hope everything goes well for you.
  7. No pity but encouragement, keep the bike running [thats gonna be your 'carrot' to get your shit together sooner..
    You have people above that have been thru the mill, I know of one person that had been on a chemo course, it did knock him about, but he fought it, after a couple of rounds though he settled on 'fark it, 2days and back to normal' and found that he lost less energy doing things that way. chin up, onwards and upwards and lets hope for a speedy recovery for you :)
  8. Just spoke to my mum for you - she had chemo a while back, but hers was once every three weeks for a few months...
    Her advice was much like others have offered, especially TonyE: she was pretty crook for a few days after, and then just tired and "off her game" the rest of the time. I remember Dad used to take her for a big slap-up dinner the night before, because she wouldn't eat for 2-3 days...

Good luck mate, but it sounds like you're already sorted (y)
  9. best wishes for it, mate, whatever the riding outcomes are (y)
  10. If you have a full-face, try not to vomit in your helmet.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Since you talking about riding presume you are only having it as a day patient.

Regimens vary can be three days on then off for week or so then another 3 days on, could be every second day, or could even be via a pump, which would be unlikely for BEP.

Wouldn't recommend it the first day, not just because of the chemo you are having, but it's also the other drugs you may be given to offset side effects. Some of the stronger anti nausea drugs are sedatives, especially the ones you have to have an hour or so before treatment. Until you know how you will be effected, best to just play it safe the first day. Any effects will increase after each session, and in some instances it may actually be after you've completed the cycle that you feel the worse.

Hope this isn't too depressing, but just remember no matter how bad you may feel at any point, you will eventually feel better. Plus the alternative to not feeling anything, isn't good for you or your loved ones.
  12. This is good advice generally, not just in this thread I reckon :p
  13. Just make sure you are cured. Ride if you are up for it but being your first course use common sense take a taxi like you said.
    Good luck with it all.
  14. I remember dad struggled after every session. I drove him in for a few of them and he caught a cab for the others. I think a lot of it is mental as to how well you recover after each session as well. Dad was over it and wanted out. He died 11 months after being diagnosed with a serious but recoverable cancer :(

If I were you, I would not be riding or driving in. You don't know how you'll feel and you don't want to be worrying about a vehicle or parking fines/theft/etc.

I hope it's not too bad for you. Look after yourself and enjoy riding on the days you feel up for it.
  15. All in all now i'll be taking it a tad more seriously and stop trying to pre-empt plans. Plus it turns out i'm eligible for community transport, handy! Appreciate the thoughts~
  16. I had a white minibus up my arse the other day trying to push me through traffic. When it finally got past, I noted that it was labelled "Patient Transport" and nearly pissed myself at the irony :LOL:.

Good luck BTW.
  17. Well lubricated I trust...
  18. Visual
  19. *passes the brain bleach on to Reesa after using some*