Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding down the 1:20 at night after heavy rain

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by modcon86, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Meant that unfortunately there was a heap of gravel washed into the centre of the road. I was just tootling along enjoying the new bike feels of a new chain, sprocket, pads and major service on the Bandit. There was a car ahead so I sat back and just enjoyed the balmy weather. All of a sudden on the last bend just before the Basin there was obviously quite a bit of gravel in the center of the road spilling into the lanes. I probably rode quite close to the centre.

Suddenly the bike starts to fall to the right in a right hander as the front wheel slides out. My right leg automatically kicks out instinctively like I'm drifting a motors. I catch traction again and its like nothing happened.

Cue adrenaline.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • BS BS x 1
  2. Great job keeping yourself upright, mate! Good to hear you avoided lowsiding. Going down because of the gravel or some other kind of debris is one of my biggest fears actually(the other one being someone opening a car door while I filter past them).
  3. Same here. Particularly in a corner.

I think it was just lucky that I was not going quickly and that the gravel was not all over the road so that the front picked up traction again. Kicking out a leg was instinct I think at high speed that would quickly wreck an ankle...
  4. Well, your instincts saved you, so I would trust them until something proves you shouldn't. It's surprising how many times in my life sheer instinct has been my last line of defence when I've failed to anticipate.

One thing I do is make sure I can see the surface of a corner before I commit to it. If I can't see it, I assume it's wet with moss growing out of it and ride accordingly. Make sure you are aware of what the corner will be like before you enter it. Car drivers have a whole different set of problems and a distinct lack of awareness that their environment might make, so never blindly follow one, ride your own race.
  5. I ride a 1250S and have occasionally thought about the practicalities of dabbing out a leg. I don't think I ever would. The mass and forces involved just make it too much like a recipe, even at walking speeds.

I'm happy to hear you are OK after the little whoopsie, but I think that is one instinct that is best not cultivated.

Best to avoid the scenario altogether by careful observation of road surface and positioning.

Can one "play with it" ? I round a couple of corners almost daily which have gravel on them. One is gravel on bitumen, the other is gravel on gravel. It's best to not feel yourself slip at all. Modern road tyres have Zip lateral traction on rolly gravel. When I had the trail bike with dual purpose tyres, if I knew the way was clear, I was happy to just fire myself around these corners and see where I ended up. Not so the larger road bike, or even the smaller one.
  6. I agree - not an instinct I want to continue, although how it panned out here worked out okay. At high speeds it would just do more damage and perhaps incapacitate one to the point of not riding home. Just a bit of a luck- wanted to share and recommend like you both have to treat the roads with respect always!