Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding decreasing radius

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by livingstonest, Mar 21, 2007.

1. When riding in twisties i'll judge a corner and turn in comfortably. I'll try to use constant throttle to keep me at that same lean. More often than not its fine. If i'm going too slow and bike starts to drop in on me then easy i'll throttle up.

My question is in regards to a decreasing radius or running in hot. In these situations i've had to countersteer harder and in doing so instead of gliding comfortably around the corner(constant force through tires), the added countersteer adds alot of sudden downward forces through the tires.....little disconcerting as i'm unsure as to the limits.

Here's the question. Was wanting to know how many people ride like this with the sudden countersteering? In situations where i have to i do it but should this be adopted as a regular riding style? Or is the sudden added forces through tires something that i should avoid as much as possible?
  2. Sudden counter-steering won't hurt you, unless you're on cold tyres, or on a wet road, where it's best to be as smooth as possible. On a dry road with warm tyres (10-15 minutes of riding), it's not something to worry about. About the only concern will be if your suspension is up to dealing with it.

Hard counter-steering is in fact one of the lessons taught at various cornering schools, being the ability to punch the bike on its side quickly so that it starts turning harder sooner, as opposed to slowly leaning the bike into the corner.

For the public road, the better approach is to enter a corner you don't know a little slower than you think you can traverse it at, and hang wide and run around the outside of the corner. This will allow you more time to spot a decreasing radius corner. Do this right, and you'll have plenty of time to just lightly apply the brakes to scrub off excess speed, and then pitch the bike over harder.

If the corner opens up, pitch the bike over and wind on the throttle. Ideally you should be on the throttle, partially, all through the corner. Not hard on the throttle, just gently accelerating until you're ready to start standing the bike up.
  3. Thanks for that cathar that was great!

My main aim is to be smooth as possible. Few times i have had to turn hard scares me as to how much more added weight there is now on the front wheel and in a short period of time aswell. But if its common practice then there's nothing to be worried bout.....may start adopting it more in my regular riding.....since its fun(in a scary way).

In regards to the quote above i probably won't adopt light rear braking....too complicated and scares me abit.....i'd rather just steer harder :)
  4. Stew sums is up quite well...there is nothing incorrect or wrong with having to push the bike into a steeper angle by countersteering harder in order to get around a corner safely. If your tires and suspension are up to the task.

Generally speaking....I will approach corners I don't know a little slower, stay out wide and not drift in until I can see through the corner, then "pitch-in" in a quick-steer to meet the proper apex once i have sighted it.

If you find yourself caught out by a corner that hooks back further than you anticipated, you need to just countersteer harder into the turn, and adjust your body position accordingly - that's why I tend to approach unknown corners a little slower, so that I have something up my sleeve.
    Trail braking will also help to get you through the corner if you are carrying too much speed.

Most cornering problems IMHO, result from misreading or misjudging the initial point of approach. If you get that wrong, it tends to get worse the further you go into the corner.. So I don't fight it...if I make a mess of things, I prefer to make one large correction/adjustment, just make it through safely, and then get my head back into the game for the next corner.

...smooooooth is the key to success on any bike.

5. I also approach unknown / blind corners slower than others. That means that you can smoothly countersteer to correct your path rather than be sudden, very dodgy if the road surface isn't great.
  6. Agreed Raven.
    Slow in fast out...is way safer than fast in slow out. If you get greedy on the way in, you might find it will bite you on the way out.