Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

riding at night

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by jecaspa, May 23, 2007.

1. hey guys i need to ask for some opinions. my parents don't want me riding at night cause i'm a noob just seein if u's can offer some advice for a newbie riding at night time and what are some extra dangers??
    THANKS

2. The biggest danger is that your visibility drops, and you can't see as far ahead, just go a bit slower and you'll be right. Other possible additional dangers include animals, animals and more bloody animals, although you'll mostly find them at dusk/dawn sort of periods...

3. Pot holes, and other vechiles using the road should be easier to see (if there is street lights and your head lights are fine), don't ride in line with other cars head lights/brake lights people wont see you and watch out for animals about to enter the road space.

If you can avoid contact with a animal open your bike right up and use it as a jump.

I find riding at night to be some what safer because you can see cars coming around corners and out of side streets so it gives you more time to prepare for it.

And what the above said.

4. Advice - DON'T!!!

Dangers - IT"S DARK!!!

Nah, get out there. Just make sure you have plenty of reflective stuff on ya. The lights on your bike are just going to blend into the surrounding light sources, unless you're alone on an open road.

Remember, ride like no one can see you and you'll keep yourself safe!

Pooh out!

5. oh, and the glare from oncoming cars, especially in the rain at night, can make it pretty difficult to see where the lane is and anything in front of you.

if you're riding on a country road with no street lights with oncoming cars, you'll probably soon realise your low beam sucks (as it does on most bikes), i've swapped my globe out with a different one now and it makes a huge difference

6. Night riding isn't a really problem in terms of you stuffing up unless you're going hard.

The main issue is other people seeing you. Take extra care coming out of side streets and at all intersections.

7. If you live in a wel lit suburban area, night time is O.K, probably safer due to less traffic.
    However, be advised that the drivers that will be on the road will be tired from a days work or pissed.

Regards, Andrew.

8. What I find difficalt at night is judging the distance of a car in the mirror. I can seem to c how far they r from me. I think riding at night and day is pretty much the same on well lit roads but when theres no lights then jus slow down abit.

I've been on my bike for about 8weeks and more than half the time I had to ride at night coz i get off work after dark. So no matter what I do I cant avoid riding in the dark.

Just b more carful u should b alright.....

9. my 2cents

i love night riding, i can see more. Cars might be able to see you as much but i find it is a lot easier for me to spot hazards cars and other gear at night.

Personal preference is what it comes down too.

Tip = ride with the same confidence at night as you do with day, otherwise you will run into trouble.

cheers

10. Since you can't see as far as you normally can during the daytime, start out on roads that you know untill you get your confidence up. You don't want to go around a corner and suddenly come up on some pot holes or find an unexpected turn in the other direction. And make sure you visor is clean and scratch free, otherwise the glare from other cars will hinder your vision.

11. Also, make sure you have a clear visor. I keep forgetting the damn thing and riding with a tinted visor at night isn't much fun!!! OK around streets with lights, but an absolute pain on dark, unlit roads. Also, make sure your visor is clean, the glare from the headlights can virtually blind you. Other than that, get out there and have fun. All part of building your repertoire!

Pooh Pooh!

12. When I was learning to ride, I did most of my riding at night

I felt darkness was less of a risk than the cages, especially when trying to get better at the basics of riding

13. I see I'll be repeating a lot of what's been said...

I learned to ride mostly at night, working a full time job that's just how it panned out.

- Keep your visor clean and clear! If breathing fogs it up, breathe out through your nose or downwards with your upper lip over the lower.
    - Don't ride in heavy or fast traffic to start with.
    - Stay on well lit roads (again, at least to start with). When you're riding it's mega-important to know what's ahead, and bike lamps on small bikes don't tend to be super bright. You'll want to see any surface irregularities before you hit them.
    - You have the advantage of little traffic if you wait until rush hour is well and truly over.
    - Don't even think about riding in the rain at night until you know what you're in for :LOL:
    - Remember your tyres will be colder in the night time, so allow more time for them to warm up before pushing it in terms of braking and cornering.
    - No matter how much you want to go for a ride, if you're tired (which can happen at night :LOL:) don't while you're learning.

I actually felt safer riding at night the first week or two as the traffic was limited.

Offtopic, slap a pipe on that nice VTR of yours! :grin:

14. Less traffic = safer.

but need to see better. Good helmet and visor help.

DONT EVER RIDE TIRED.

If you obey that simple rule you'll be good.

15. Also, just be relaxed about it. If you feel cramped up, you're fighting the bike. When you're relaxed, you will absorb bumps that you didn't see much easier.
    It is not that much different then during the day. Just enjoy!

Nothing to it!

Pooh chills! :cool:

16. don't forget to take the iridium/tinted visor/sunnies off :oops:

makes things alot darker than they really are :LOL: :LOL:

17. With riding at night, your field of view is reduced to what is in the headlights...as a result, you have less warning on what's ahead. (not cars etc, obviously).
    Things like pedestrians, kids on bikes - that sort of thing. It also harder to see the undulations and yumps in the road, so you may find the old "canastas" can take a belting if you miss that sharp depression in the road!...
    To compensate, it pays to ride slower and give yourself more time to spot such things - it will also give you a better safety margin from cars etc.

18. I ride all night, I love riding at night.

Go do it.

Tell your parents to ring me, we can "do" lunch and discuss it :LOL:

19. I live in the country, animals are my main concern at night. You have done it all Davo. What do you think about animals?

20. I live in the country too, and come home in the dark.
    The animals aren;t a problem early in the evening, but later on they are an issue.
    Travelling later at night in the country without aftermarket lighting is a game of odds, and the odds are stacked against you.
    This is the minimum you need in my opinion:
    GTRscreen001.
    I have these pointed down the road, at the edges of the road and into the gutters, it helps me see anything nasty before it gets to the road.
    As a bonus, when I hit the twisties at night, I can reach over, and point them out and up, so I can see into corners! :cool:

Regards, Andrew.