Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding around Oz on the #1 highway ...what to ride and why ?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by paulmoran, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hey All,

In October this year I will be partaking in a fundraising ride around Australia to raise money for 'Answers for kids Cancer' a fund that benefits the Children’s Cancer Institute of Australia (CCIA) ...

I will be riding with 2 of my good mates amongst around 55 other riders ...

So - given that there will be no off-road riding...i come to the masses for advice...

Currently I ride an 09 ZX6R ....not the bike to be riding around oz...a 2 hr blat down the coast already starts to take its toll on certain parts of the body ...

I have kind of narrowed down the 2 choices to a Kawasaki Versys or a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 (Classic or Custom) ...

Now - the ride itself has support vehicles, so the need for me to carry stuff is minimal and will be (at most) a camelback / backpack ... If i got any form of pannier or bag, that would easily see me through.

I wanted to hear from you guys what you think would be a better option from either of these 2 bikes, and importantly - Why ?

A pro's and cons would be ideal.

More info on the ride can be read here - www.twowheelsforacause.org and Im looking forward to seeing your feedback, advice - cheers guys!

2. They're both good choices of bikes but at the end of the day I think it comes down to your personal choice & whether you want to ride a cruiser or a tourer.
  3. V-Strom !
  4. i did consider the VStrom...but the Versys is basically the same bike ...and im partial to the green machine too ...

I have never ridden a cruiser, so ...might be a good idea to get onto one asap i guess
  5. I've ridden neither. It'll be 100% freeway? I'd probably go the versys.. it should have killer tank range and exceptional fuel economy. Go buy an aftermarket seat or airhawk for the journey though, your ass will love you for it.
  6. susuki 1250 bandit
    triumph sprint 1050

anything with a big smooth engine. Stuff the fuel economy, if you're not going off road you won't be too far away from a petrol stop.
  7. Out of those 2 I would say the Versys. I believe it will allow you to change position more than a cruiser will. You will appreciate it with longer distances when those funny little muscles (& some not so little) start to tell you they dont like sitting in one place all day long.
  8. CT110. Anything else is too easy :wink:.
  9. I've tentatively planned my Big One for July/August and I'll be taking the VFR. Since I don't plan to do any off-road stuff, it will be an ideal weapon. I am talking with a guy on ozvfr who did it in 2000 on a VFR750 like mine and I'm sure he's going to have some really good insights for me.
  10. thanks for all your input guys - think i'll be going out this weekend to do some 'sitting' on bikes ...

If i do go with the Vulcan I will be def getting the little back rest you can get as an after market access for the riders seat ...that will help im sure!!
  11. Just do it on the Ninja. I find you get a good bit of supporting wind at about 135 \\:D/
  12. i'll call the local importer of Zimmer frames ...see if they can sponsor me for the ride .... ;)
  13. FWIW, I'd never even THINK about doing it on a cruiser bike.

14. how come ?
  15. Bar risers and an Airhawk for the Ninja.
  16. The riding position of a cruiser bike is all wrong for long-distance riding. Unlike a sports or-semi-sports bike, where the rider is leaning forwards and the weight of his/her body is being borne by the inner thighs, thus spreading the rider's weight over a broad expanse, the upright position of a cruiser means that all the rider's weight is being supported on the point of the spine, the cocyx, or tailbone.

This is a very small area on which to have all of your weight supported, and can lead to exteme discomfort.

This article illustrates it quite well although, since the girl who's posing for these pictures is very short, the sportbike riding position is very exaggerated.

The other problem with a cruiser over a distance is that your chest is fully exposed to the wind blast. On a sports/touring bike, it is your head that breaks into the wind first and thus dissapates the blast before it hits your body. A couple of hundred kilometres of being drilled in the sternum by the wind isn't my idea of fun, and can lead to fatigue and lapses of concentration.

Because cruisers aren't supposed to go around corners (well, quikcly anyway), their suspension is usually pretty stiff and lacking in compliance. On a rough road this can also lead to fatigue and discomfort.

Yes, I have ridden cruiser bikes so I have first-hand experience of this and, no, I don't have anything against them.

But I do think that a dedicated touring bike of some sort will be a better bet for what you are planning to do. Incidentally, the Versys, with its very compliant suspension, is a good choice, although a 4 cylinder bike will be stressing the engine a lot less and will have a smoother engine beat.

As I said, you pays your money and you makes your choice.
  17. Hi mate,

Thanks for your excellent reply - much appreciated... This is exactly the kind of informed feedback I was looking for ...

I will definitley take everythign you have said into consideration -

thanks again