Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding Alone (newbie)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by infinityx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Ok, i want to take the bike out (for my maiden ride) tomorrow (after i go an get my jacket and boots.

As long as i stay in the back streets is it a good idea to ride alone for the first time? my mate from work cant ride until next weekend, but after one week having the bike sit in the garage (cause i was sorting out insurance) i am getting impatient :p

but now that insurance is sorted, there is nothing except a jacket and boot stopping me from riding :p

2. If your worried just let someone know what time you reckon you will get back and go.

Its always a good idea to stick to the back streets when you are new to riding.

Go on get outside and have some fun.

Stay out of the heat
  3. Get out of the traffic and on some country roads, HART in Melbourne recommended this when I got my Ls
  4. You'll be fine alone, in fact it'll save you feeling like you need to keep up.

Take it easy, go at your own pace, be careful and enjoy!
  5. Exactly what I was going to say. Riding alone you go at your own peace with no pressure, no worries about looking silly and no distractions from your mate... Going alone across the Simpson desert might be a bit unwise, but I think for a little run around your neighbourhood it would be my preference. Take your mobile - just in case - and off you go!
  6. Riding with someone experienced can be good as they will pick up on any faults and advise you how to do things better. Also if you get into traffic they can ride shotgun to help shield you from danger.

That said, riding with someone isn't critical. Especially in quiet back streets. Also what you should be doing is getting a feel for cornering, stopping and starting. You don't have to go far to do this, you can practice by just riding around and around the block. (Don'tforget to reverse direction so you practice both left and right turns).

Once you are confident you can stop start and turn, try getting out into streets with light traffic.

And try to get a bit of low speed (walking pace) practice. Most newbie drops are low speed drops.

Good luck
  7. Hey I'm near your area. If you want to ride some time, pm me.
  8. i went today only for 15min, but its was really really awesome....

Made a lot of mistakes

1. stalled the bike 3-4 time (after stopping at a t junction or turning into a street), at least i remembered to downshift to 1st before i got to the edge of the turn.
    2. when riding stayed on 2nd gear majority of the time, at one point i did go to 3rd (on a bit of a slope), and got scared to shift to 2nd in case i stall it down the slope :p
    3. forgot to adjust the left mirror so couldn't see anything on the left
    4. forgot to even look in the mirrors and saw a car pass me by (mid you she gave a lot of distance thankfully) but still i should have seen it, think i had tunnel vision see stuff in front of me and to the sides but not behind :p
    5. Completely forgot to use indicators (omg this was difficult), cause i had my hand pressing the clutch whilst trying to switch the turn indicator was dead set the hardest thing. (then i didn't know how to turn the indicator off :p, realized later i had to push the indicator button in lol, so i think i may have been riding with my indicator on lucky nothing bad happend)
    6. I mainly used the engine to slow down, hardly used the brakes (maybe i am doing something wrong here)

McLvn, I will definitely let you know (once i am confident enough to venture into traffic) :) thanks for the offer mate.

I'm posting my experience here so next time i go out i will read this to improve :p
  9. short rides are the go when you first start. especially back streets with lots of stops and starts. a car park session or two might help you get confidence.
  10. stalling will go away with practise, youll get used to the revs to change at and get the feel for the clutch.

you should get out on a long road, maybe at night for less cars to practise shifting

tunnell vision is just a result of freakin out, will go away the more you ride and relax!

slowing the bike will be more tchnical with higher speeds and you have to change down as you approach the light.

Keep practicing is the answer
  11. Tahnks mate, your right I cant expect to be a rocket scientist in 15 min (so practice is the Key) :p

gonna do some more practice on Australia day, then some more next weekend (might come home early from home just so i cant get maybe 30min during the week as well) :)

cant wait :)
  12. on my first ride i went down to the local church they had a nice big car park i could practice braking and turning untill i felt i had a feel for the bike.
    After about 20 mins (and a 5 min stretching break :p) i did a few laps around the block and in and out of a small court and slowly moved out more and more as i felt i was comfortable with things.

that was a few weeks ago now ive clocked up around 400k's in and around the city and now im just cruising all over the place till its time to come home but only after ive worked out where i am hehe

but every1 is right only do what ur comfy with and if u do find ur getting really stressed and tight through ur arms stop grab a drink of water and start again it gets easier
  13. Careful of drivers who might have had one too many.
  14. Dude after reading about your 1st ride I can come to you. The only thing is I have weird days due to retail.
  15. You gotta pick up and play it.
    The longer you leave it, the rustier you'll be with all that Pre Learner training.
    If you want, start with just going up and down your street or around the block to practice a few turns, start and stopping, changing gears etc.

Going up hills, depending on the inclination, may be better to down shift but just take it all at your own place and eventually you'll be out and about everywhere on your bike. Just keep at it
  16. Good points here. I went out alone when I started off then after I'd done about 600 km I was tailed by two Netriders who gave me a lot of good feedback.

Go with what you're comfortable with and not what others tell you to do. By all means listen to suggestions but decide for yourself what you want to do. I went out onto main roads and into traffic after spending about 5 minutes in back streets straight after taking delivery of my bike. I didn't change lanes too often for the first few hundred km and was mostly a sheep during that time. That worked for me.

Go at your own pace and enjoy keeping the shiny side up.
  17. Alright Guys, so i have gone out four time now (including today, after it got a bit dark), (unfortunately weekend isn't looking good, possible rain).

But anyway, i am getting a lot more confident cruising on the back streets, turning in streets changing gears from 1st to 5th whilst cruising, I am even getting the hang of the turn signals.

However its really bothering me that for the following i am really shocking!!

- My slow turns (on first gear) i am all over the place. Whilst i manage to turn sometimes i do a lot of hopping on the bike when turning (i am guessing bad throttle control).
    Today i tried to pull in the clutch a little (i think its called feathering the clutch?), and to a small extent is helped, but other times i kept stalling.

- I am also terrible at taking off from a form a stop (or taking a sharp turn from a stop) whie htere is a bit of incline. Again the first gear and clutching is awful.

Usually from a flat ground its ok, but if there is a slight hill i keep stalling the bike. I think its to do with me pressing the brake, but i cant help it since i go backwards it i dont press the breaks.

- Finally i notice that when i do some of the slow turns or i am taking off from a stop (turning right or left), i accidentally throttle too much, since my clutch is in the friction zone the main effect is a big wroooom (am me looking like a idiot :p).

On another note i finally tackled a roundabout (only really had 4 hours of practice this week, but starting to venture into new territory).

I'm going to have to fill in the fuel someday :p
  18. Starting on an incline you can hold the bike in position on the rear brake alone. If you are starting from a full stop. The clutch and throttle control just comes with practice. :) No magic short cut :) Do some slow speed practice in a car park or clear area just on level ground to start with. Start, accelerate, brake stop, over and over. When you are confident with that move to an incline area and go through the process again. Sounds like you are doing Ok, you have the right attitude.

PS Don't forget to have fun, that's what it is all about, go for some country rides as well as practice. :)
  19. On a slope hold the bike with just enough foot brake to hstop it rolling back. Then gently increase the throttle a little above idle speed. Let the clutch out slowly and as you feel the bike try to move or hear the engine become loaded, give a little more throttle and gently keep letting the clutch out while letting the brake off.

It sounds complicated but with practice after a while you will be able to do it without even thinking about it.
  20. thanks guys, i think the problem i was having is that, when i use the rear brakes, the bike starts to tip over the the right, making me automatically use my right leg for balance and front brakes to stop.

Its the first time i did hill starts today so i will practice some more when the weather clears :)

i'll also do the basic clutch practicing cjvfr mentioned....basics are the key :) lets hope the rain clears sunday :)