Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding after a wrist (scapholunate) ligament tear

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by glowstix047, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    I was just wondering if anyone here rides with scapholunate ligament tear in their wrist?

I was diagnosed with a partially torn scapholunate ligament in my wrist earlier this year after a fall and went to see a hand surgeon to sort it out. I was told to not put pressure/weight on my wrist when its in a dorsal position but I was never told anything about riding. Doc also said that the ligament is highly unlikely to ever heal and if anything it might get worst with age until the point where i need surgery.

2. try using a wrist throttle control thing it help me when me wrist had a plaster on it

3. I tore a ligament in my right wrist in a riding accident.

Basically had ~2 weeks of almost zero movement, followed by another ~2 weeks before I tried riding again.
    I was undergoing 3+ physio sessions a week. I only attempted to ride when I was happy that I could move the wrist up and down enough to move the throttle.

The one thing I had to be very cautious of was the weight I was putting on it while riding. I had a naked bike so that was easy to avoid. I have spent a fair amount of time on supersports since as well with no issue. Any discomfort comes from my poor riding technique putting too much weight on the bars.

My Physio had mixed feelings about me riding the bike (I rode to sessions) in that it was good that I was using the wrist more again, but it the complex pressures and strains on the wrist combined with the vibration of the bike could hinder the healing.

That was February 2011, I am still riding.
    I still have issues with the wrist, certain movements cause discomfort and repeated movements cause pain fairly easily.
    I am much more prone to getting RSI and at risk of early onset arthritis (pretty sure I have it now). (I am 24 y.o.).

4. I dislocated a thumb pretty bad and stretched the ligaments to it. Fark that hurts. Do you know how many times a day you use your thumb ?? or bump it lol.
    I had to keep riding.....
    Trouble for me was I use my thumb to roll the throttle. And couldn't.
    Splint it. Strap it and keep the weight off it.
    I would keep a big gap between me and everything. The worst is having to use the front brake hard.
    Roll the throttle on and use the weight of your hand to hold consistent throttle.
    But mostly avoid riding as much as you can till you dont need it strapped in every day use. And strap and splint it to go riding

5. Thank you for all your response guys, I forgot to mention that it's in my left wrist so using the throttle isn't a problem it's really just the clutch i guess.

My biggest fear now is that on a sports bike i'm already in a low position which puts my wrist/hand in a slight dorsal position and in the case of any sudden stopping the momentum of the stop would be transferred into pressure into my wrist causing whatever is left of the ligament to snap.

Anyone what the riding position is like on a naked bike? maybe i can swap to a naked bike and still enjoy riding.

6. i have only ridden a gs500 naked bit but your pretty much up stright but if your worryed about doing something in a crash you might as well just drive

7. If you are using your legs and back/abs to support yourself when riding then there should not be any pressure on the wrists ideally, regardless of sport bike or naked.

I purchased a wrist brace from bikebiz. Only used it a couple of times but it does make a difference if there is unexpected weight on the wrist.

If it was me, I would keep on riding even if it meant the possibility of doing further damage (actually, it was me in that position, and I did make that call).
    You need to assess the risk, and decide if how much you enjoy riding outweighs your personal risk.

8. Red, are you referring to the EVS wrist brace? If so, I'll go check em out cause I'm pretty keen to get back into riding since i bought myself a new leather jacket earlier this year haha