Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding Africa - nth to sth...

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by I Adore Vic, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Thought others may find this guys story interesting. He's riding through Africa - nth to sth - and has posted ride reports and some pretty awesome photos up as well. I used to toy with the idea of doing this myself in yrs to come but after reading stories like his I don't think I'm toying anymore ;) Wont be for a long while yet though.

His trip incorporates: UK to Cape town, via: France, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique.

Trip started 7 October 2007. Length of trip = 6mths.

Bike = 2006 BMW R1200GS

2. ur not talking about the "Long way Down" with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are you.. right?
  3. did you even look at the website?

This is a real adventure without all the support crew that long way down had.
    (I enjoyed long way down btw)
  4. whoops.... missed the link as it was down with the others down at the bottom on the opening thread... i will check it out
  5. Nice find Rosie.

It'd be great to do a trip like that, but to be honest I think I would prefer UK to Aus through Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, SE-Asia, and while there are some troublesome countries on that route, they're a bit less-so than war-torn Africa (mind you, if I could do both I certainly would...and add Alaska to the southern tip of South America to that list too!) :)

@smee: I enjoyed LWD too, but was a bit annoyed at how "whiney" they were. If you're concerned about rushing it...make the decision to take the extra week damnit!

I also laughed out loud when, about the ones who took a year (or was it years) off to tour, Ewan said something like "I envy these guys, particularly I envy the time they have."

Hahahaha, laughing again typing it. I'd be very surprised if Ewan couldn't retire himself and 10 of his best mates and their families and do nothing but tour for the rest of his life (at 4-5 movies per year over the past few years and x million dollars per movie)!!!

But sorry for the hijack. Nice one Rosie!

Butz. :beer:
  6. I'd like to do UK and Europe etc, but there's something about Africa..... :)

I love the route Michael's chosen. Was disappointed with Ewan and Charlie's route as I believe they've left out some of the most interesting places in Africa. Mali for instance...Michael rode through my fav. place over there - Dogon country - the Dogon are an interesting people with an interesting story/history who happen to live in an interesting place...the Bandiagara escarpment is highest on my list of places to visit before I die. Michael stayed there for a few days but said he would have spent a couple of wks there had his visa for Nigeria not had a shelf life.

I sent him an email a few days ago and received one back from him this morning. He's currently in Windhoek in Namibia having a few days R&R. He's just done the Congo and Angola which he says were veru tough going but the most memorable of his trip so far.
  7. thanks for the link rosie,

its great layout - column of pics, column of matching text.

im in the very early stages of planning a trip from syd-darwin-SE Asia with some mates so doing all the research i can. and as i havent got my L's yet (test on wednesday) reading yr virago and honda stories has been great for me. thanks

this site has tonnes about worldwide touring and can hook you up with other rider in lots of countries.

(lwd - funniest part was when they went past that guy on his push bike after theyd been complaining all that way)

8. The bigger support crew the tighter the planning needs to be. I'm sure if they were to do it again they would allow more time. Great DVD however.

Great link Rosie :wink: