Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding according to the law as the safety Nazis want us. (Vic)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by smee, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Well what a revelation!
    I decided today that I would ride according to the rules and laws the safety nazis want us to, no lane splitting, not one km over the speed limit etc.
    Talk about getting abused, honked at and nearly run off the road TWICE, not to mention the amount of people tailgating, the worst offenders being the semis on the monash.
    Yep ride according to the rules and use the minimal buffers the safety bureaucrats want us to use and you are fair game, common sense is a dead duck in the current police state.

2. Funny you should only finally try this on the day that you are having an issue with a certain thread on this site. 8-[

Are you saying that in all your years you have not ridden "according to the rules and laws the safety nazis want us to, no lane splitting, not one km over the speed limit etc. "

The conspiracy theorist in me believes something else. But I am not going to make accusations without proof. :D

3. I can delineate my real life from my online one, it was an experiment inspired by the zero fatality friday the rest is just coincidence, here have a tin foil hat ;)

4. Everyone on the roads breaks at least one law each time they turn the key.

That's why the law make no real sence, it's because nobody can be trusted.

5. How's the foot holding up?

6. Small update on the Achilles,
    It's been 10 months since the injury and as the physio said it's the fastest healing achilles he has ever seen.
    I am about 90% done and only now beginning to do serious running.
    I've been pain free from the leg the last week only as the gym work is now starting to kick in so all things considered foot is fine ready for kicking doors of idiot drivers ;)

7. Thankyou. It is good to finally be a part of that community. :)

8. I know what you mean about the tailgaters on the freeway. They give me the irrits.

Excellent news about the foot though. :)

9. Good to hear. It shows a lot of dedication to be able to run after in that time frame. May the rest of the 10% of healing be quick and less painful. :)

10. Would make an interesting today tonight type "expose".

Safety within the law vs safety in your own method.

11. I know how you feel. I rode down the Eastern Fwy once at 80k's. That's a full 20k's under the limit. I didn't just wipe of 5 I wiped off 25. How safe was that! Should have seen the psycho stares I was getting from the cagers. lol

12. Imagine how safe you could have been if you had wiped off 95.

I suspect that while the laws are supposedly there for our safety the system relies on people using common sense in their application and if we all actually followed them strictly the road system would probably grind to a halt.

As an aside, Smee, does Godwin's Law apply to thread headings? :LOL:

13. If you'd wiped off 105, you could've actually brought some kittens and accident victims back to life.

14. Just to get clarification, were you doing the speed limit according to your speedo (which most usually overstate so if you were doing the limit, in reality it was most likely anywhere from 3-9% under) or is your speedo show the proper speed and/or using something like GPS which is 'pretty' accurate? It still doesn't give an excuse to tailgaters etc on whatever speed you were doing but if you were 3-0% under the limit, it gives people more of their 'self absorbed reason' to tailgate/be a pr**k to you.

*edit* If you were using speedo and it over estimates, then you're just doing the TAC advertised wipe off 5 campaign heh. Normal traffic flow HATES that campaign

15. ^^ good point, you have to take off 10% on my speedo to get the correct speed. Before I knew this, it felt so dangerous on Fwy sitting on 90 (though I was doing 100) and everyone tailgating, wizzing past, etc...

16. That would be interesting. I think it would be difficult to convey the hidden dangers a rider feels though. The saying 'things look different inside a helmet' comes to mind.

Smee I've tried what your thread's about a few times over the years, just to see if I'm missing something. But everytime I've done it I've come away swearing never to do it again.

I live by the adage if you depend on the law to save your life you're a statistic waiting to happen. A rider's best defense on the road is their grey matter.

Being able to move our bikes in ways that cages can't is what separates us, and staying separate is a good thing.

17. I find this hard to believe, although I concede it's possible . I ride within the law most of the time I ride and I've NEVER been abused or honked at while doing so. As for getting cut off, that'll happen regardless of the speed you're doing.

18. I have to agree with the OP. I'm generally only do speed limit at intersections/traffic lights/crossroads and the like to give moron cagers the best chance to see me and so I have the best chance to re-act to their shithouse decision making/skills.

The rest of the time I'm cutting the breeze by myself or splitting through on the way to cutting the breeze. Have not had any close calls in months using this method, when i was obeying all the rules and riding amongst traffic constantly I would get close calls all the time.

19. Yes I took the speedo differential into account my speedo overestimates by 10%
    Was still getting tailgated badly and honked at.
    Never again.

20. [I]Originally Posted by smee
    Well what a revelation!
    I decided today that I would ride according to the rules and laws the safety nazis want us to, no lane splitting, not one km over the speed limit etc.
    Talk about getting abused, honked at and nearly run off the road TWICE, not to mention the amount of people tailgating, the worst offenders being the semis on the monash.
    Yep ride according to the rules and use the minimal buffers the safety bureaucrats want us to use and you are fair game, common sense is a dead duck in the current police state.[/I]

Are you serious, or are you riding a white BMW with red & blue flashing lights :-s

I actually got into a physical altercation a few months back with a crazy cager who chased after 6 of us because we had the audacity to ride single file as we pulled away from the lights (you know, like the law want us to). He followed us into a servo and wanted to punch on because we took too long to get away from the lights and held him up. Bikes pulling away too slow PMSL.

My wife WAS on her "L" at the time & I was riding at the tail to give her some room from idiots like this, so I became the focus of his anger.....all 6'4" and 140kg of man mountain crazy war torn European homeland anger. You just couldn't reason with this loony. His attitude was, and I quote "if you need to protect a leaner, then they shouldn't be on the road, and maybe next time I should just run straight over her"

That's just one of the many stories I have about riding in Melbourne & I haven't been riding down here for twelve months yet. I used to complain about the cagers in Syd, but they have nothing on the incompetent loonies down south ](*,)