Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding a Motorcycle Makes You Smarter, Not Just Sexier

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by DisgruntledDog, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Link

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yes, but given just how stupid one has to be to consider riding a motorcycle at all, any improvement is starting off a fairly low base :D.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Is this an old study?

I do find it interesting that every use reduces stress. I found great traffic commuting to be rather stressful compared to other options.
  4. Wow...I come back from a good ride drooling like an imbecile...
  5. It's easy to monitor and track motorcycle related incidents and associate riding with a sense of danger, perhaps even recklessness.

No doubt riding takes more skill than driving. A riding instructor once told me you become a better driver once you learn to ride. Perhaps in return that makes you a safer motorist overall, reducing the likelihood of injury/death to others. This may not yet be proven or generally accepted and perhaps the findings of such a study will only open more people up to riding at most, which may or may not be a good thing overall.

I recall seeing a person in another group falling off their bike when I got my L's. The instructor said words to the effect of "if they can explain why they fell, we won't send that person home". By reflecting on past mistakes and ways in which they might have been prevented, I am confident I am now a safer motorist.
  6. Yes I firmly believe being a rider has the knock on effect of making you a better driver - gives you a much better understanding and feel for tyre grip in slippery conditions to start with , not to mention improved hazard recognition and perception .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. There's a MUARC study that confirms that experienced riders saw hazards up to four (could be two - failing memory cells?!!) seconds before experienced drivers. In fact they found that riders of any experience saw hazards sooner than their equivalent experienced driver.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Having driven 3500 kms over the last fortnight, I can vouch for this as my ability to read the prevailing traffic, in particular when overtaking, was way superior to the average tintop driver who is a non motorcyclist. this also included avoiding a discarded mattress on the road at 110 kmh and easily manoeuvring around it before my wife could ask WTF was that?
  9. Yes, I agree, feeling sexy with a 'crumple zone' of just 4mm of cow skin and flimsy bits of polystyrene between myself and the option of getting maimed or killed, does push adrenaline and brain activity up a notch or two (specially here in speedy crowded little Germy) and sensitizes particularly to: slippery and potholy surfaces, doors of parked cars flying open suddenly, 16 yr old drivers on enormous big tractors pulling out of fields for no reason, schools and kindergardens, kiddies on wee trikes and bikes, cyclists and motorists playing with smart phones and sat navs, doing emergency stops, little old lady and gent drivers with hats (or anything with hats or ear phones indulging in creative driving), horses, dogs, woods with lovesick deer,wild boar, sheep, low flying ducks -and matresses-sofas in the road in the dark, sudden tyre puncture...oneself being an unexpected yearly novelty in road traffic at the start of the season and sometimes being invisible thanks to Suvs with tank like slits for windows...Well, it's like a book on diseases sheep can get: it's enough to put you off farming, i.e. riding.

My mantra:
    To protect yourself, think for others,too, as you are the much more vulnerable one, make a will, peace with your maker , take a calculated risk and ENJOY the ride, practise makes (more) perfect (but hopefully not blase). You can stay at home, slip on a curb and end up in a wheel chair. Happened to a mate of ours. And look at the bl..dy irony of Michael Schuhmacher's fate.
    Turn the tables and it is astounding how a biker you, the car driver, hadn't even noticed coming up and doing 220 kmh (illegally), suddenly overtakes you on a country road. Makes you think, doesn't it? Makes you a better car driver, too?
  10. I was interested in this fact. So I found the study You were right at 4s.

The study is here...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. #11 Nightowl, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

Meditation allows your brain to get over the cultural ADHD that’s been created by trying to do multiple tasks at once. It allows the brain to focus on the task at hand. (Dweck 2007.)

Motorcycling = a form of meditation. Being present in the moment.

It doesn’t just “allow” the brain to focus on the task at hand, at different phases/stages (eg. skills acquisition, commuting) it forces the brain to focus on tasks at hand.

A thought ....

In early phases of skills acquisition it can be described as a type of forced meditation which enables glimpses into the benefit of being present in the moment, this glimpse acting as a lure.

As skills are acquired, and become second nature, then when they come together smoothly this enables a shift in focus to that of being fully present in the moment, which is liberating.

It is also a state that lends itself well to relaxed vigilance, a fuller awareness of what's going on around you and consequently more able to perceive potential hazards

This feeling of liberation is also a lure and I suspect is behind the stepping up of challenges eg. harder, faster, more precise etc. What’s being sought? That state of grace/harmony/freedom that’s found in being fully present in the moment? What are you seeking when you ride?

What a rider means by ‘fun’ and how that ‘fun’ is interpreted by non-riding individuals/sectors of the community is in reality worlds apart.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. “You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that you touch perfect speed. And that isn’t flying a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn’t have limits. Perfect speed, my son, is being there.”
    Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Even more so on a push bike...