Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Riding a Bike Not Legal Under Restrictions

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dracomjb, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Ok, living in Melbourne and restricted to 260cc or less for 12 months after passing the license test seems like it's a lose / lose situation. Buying a bike 2nd hand or new = potential loss of money after 12 months or more when deciding to upgrade.

    There are a lot of race bikes 2nd hand, but that style of bike has no interest for me.

    The next option is a more upright 250cc followed by a 250 cruiser. Lots of Viragos for sale 2nd hand, but I've sat on a couple of Viragos and found the seat to be uncomfortable and the riding position not that enjoyable. Same with the Suzuki 250 cruiser. I've yet to try a Kawasaki 250 cruiser, not seen too many 2nd hand for sale.

    Final option is a V-Star 250, which currently is topping my list of comfort and riding position.

    Then the thought crossed my mine, once I pass my license test I don't have to display P plates, I'm not going to ride like a lunatic, why not look at a 650 cruiser, quite a few are learner legal in NSW so the power to weight ratio means they're not going to be huge uncontrollable power rockets.

    So, what are the cons to this option? Pulled over, points / fine? Loss of license?

    What are the pros? I get a bike I'm more likely to keep beyond a year, I get something that looks a lot nicer than a lot of the 250s.

    What are the cons? Insurance issues? Points / fines?

    Yes I could go out and get any old bike second hand, live with that for 12 months and sell it for a small loss / same price. The problem is I can really do without the hassle of selling second hand, most of the cars I've bought have been new and then traded in for the next thing, primarily to save the hassle of selling on the 2nd hand market. That's one of the reasons this solution appeals to me, not having to worry about the 2nd hand market when I want to upgrade from a 250.

  2. you get slapped with a fine and demerit points.
    With 250s they really dont depreciate in value that much as most people have to ride it when they get their licence, unless they introduce lams here in VIC you should be getting close to what you paid for it when time comes to sell
  3. Also "IF" you're in an "accident" that is found to be your fault, you're not insured... your TAC cover is invalid. Just imagine the $$$ you'll be out of now and in the future...
  4. worst case.
    You kill some one and go to jail AND have to pay all costs for everything out of your own pocket.
  5. How old are you?
  6. In my 30s, why?
  7. Your TAC cover still applies. You still get all the medical benefits but if you were riding a bike not rated for learners then you probably will not get your loss of income benefits.

    From the TAC Web Site

    It doesn't explicitly say you won't get loss of earnings but it certainly implies it

  8. I'm in the same boat as you mate, I wouldn't consider doing what you propose for the reasons stated above. Am trying to keep an eye out for LAMS to come into Vic, so might hang for a couple of months and see if it happens.

    I wonder if popping into NSW and getting your learners there would be an idea? Anybody done this? Are NSW Learners allowed to ride their 260+ bikes down here in Vic?
  9. As far as i know - there are no demerit points for riding a bigger bike! I was told this by the people at calder park when i went for my license......

    I am gonna ride a bigger bike on my p's - why not - its about a 200dollar fine - and no demerit points!
  10. So, what are the cons to this option? Pulled over, points / fine? Loss of license?

    Might be a bit naive (or hopefull) there. You will certainly be deemed unlicensed but the fine may be the least of your worries. If while doing this you have an accident and it is proven that you at least contributed to it (we are only human so it could happen) you are not covered by TAC. So if someone is injuered you are liable for all the medical and associated costs.
    A few years ago a (p plate) guy in Geelong jumped straight onto a mates 900cc bike to "just go around the block". He ended up in an altercation with a pedestrian at a crossing (wasnt his fault but was found to have contributed). TAC paid the bills for the injured third party but 12 months later came looking for him to pay.
    Net result was that he lost the house he had just built for his family and the stress and strain killed his marraige.

    Really, why would you?
  11. The fine would be the least of your worries, I would be worried about whether or not insurance will cover you if you have an accident?
  12. About the only thing that would stop me is the insurance issue.

    Insurance companies love to use any excuse not to pay out.
  13. And it's not just an immediate insurance problem. Any time in the future you go to get insurance, you will be paying through the nose for insurance, or may even be flat refused for insurance.
    Then there's your licence, nice big black mark, too bad if you ever want to be a sales rep or drive a company car. Corproations look down on people who have broken the law.
    If you don't want the hassle of selling the bike second hand, trade it in at the appropriate time. You're not going to lose much on a $3k bike, lucky to lose 25% IF you keep it clean and tidy.
    If that's too much of a financial loss, then sell it second hand. It's like, really easy. They call you, they come to you, they give you money.

    Regards, Andrew.
  14. just buy a crappy old 250. in 12 months you're more than likely able to sell it for what you paid anyway.
  15. yep i agree, if you buy a reasonable secondhand 2fidy you will loose bugger all over 12 months.
  16. the other thing to consider here is that you have just 'sat' on some of these bikes

    buy a 2nd hand 250 .. get your license and then you will be in a position to make a more informed decision about the type of bike that really suits you because you will be able to test ride others

    i went through 4 different types of bikes in my teens & early 20's before i found the style that suited

    and then after 15yrs off a bike i went & bought 'the one' i wanted only to have upgraded/changed 2 1/2 months later

    suggest you get your license on a learner legal bike, learn to ride it & try out others before you make a choice about a long term ride

    just my 2c worth :)
  17. I would think thats a fairly reasonable reason not to pay out!

    I agree with the others. Get yourself the cheapest 250 you can find that is roadworthy and reliable. Then flogg it off after 12 months.

    Its a pain to have to loose money, but that what everyone has to do cause thems the rules.
  18. I know the feeling, but I got a bike that will be able to be sold for the same price I paid for it (Assuming nothing major happens!) in 15 months when I am allowed to upgrade.
  19. There was a young guy on a site in the city I was working who bought a harley, didn't have a licence.

    stacked it into a car or a car hit him, can't remember. Anyway other guy had NO insurance, so didn't matter. No bike anyway!!! :shock:

    Also I think TonyE said about TAC loss of earnings, this guy wasn't covered at all. Said it was gonna cost him tens of 1000's, but not much he could do.

    I just remember thinking a few hundred to get a licence would of saved him.

    you can lead a horse to water.........
  20. its just something you have to grin and bear. every1's had to do it. i say just stick with the second hand 250, there not too hard to sell. you say you traded your cars in to get the next model, which means you would probablu get more selling private so you obviously dont care too much about the money side of it, so just sell the 250 a little bit cheaper than the rest, its sure to sell very fast.